Mrsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrsa

Having got the word recently that a sample taken from my cane spider bite wound came back positive for the MRSA, leading me to ask what the ramifications are from this?
    The doc sez I may be resistant to antibiotics now, and a friend exclaimed "oh, so you're a carrier now?".

The first is true, but do you become a 'carrier' of something to worry about? Contagious?

I'm nearly back to 100%, and the scar looks like it may eventually be next to nothing. Quite surprising considering how bad it once was. The doc was not happy with my negligence on seeking med help for it way sooner, but I was pretty happy at that point, thinking if it was MRSA contaminated, that my body did a great job once again of staving off a nasty infection.

Question; could the necrotizing effect from the spider's venom, or whatever it was, have mimiced MSRA?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Mrsa

OMG, so it WAS MRSA afterall. You were/are so lucky and it sounds like you have one heckuva good immune system. If it's not too personal to ask, what finally made you go to the doctor? In the other thread it didn't appear that you'd sought medical help and that the wound was almost healed. Do you still think it was initially a cane spider bite? Regardless, I'm happy to hear that you're ok.

Sorry, I can't answer your other questions. How 'bout trying one of those online medical sites' Q&A section? Or, email Oprah to ask Dr. Oz! It's actually an interesting topic.

Comment

TS, thanx!, but yes, I'm still stickin' to my story that it was a bite. It did all the tell tale signs that I was used to seeing happen to others with these bites. But it also seems that the mrsa has much the same initial symtoms, but I didn't get a fever or need a draining like is common with mrsa stuff.
      I may have just been lucky as you say, as usual..., but it was real touch and go for 2/3 weeks.

As to why I didn't do 'the right thing' and hit the Eward asap, like the doc sed - STUPID. I meant to, but there was always an excuse, and my tendency towards curiosity and to tempt fate = STUPID X 2.
      But once I knew what it was, I also knew there wasn't a lot the doc could do.

I did do a search on the subject but got bored, so I'll toss it to HT for thots, which is way more fun.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

My brother was diagnosed with mrsa in mid-December (he lives in Brooklyn, NY). The wound was on his lower back and was about the size of a half dollar. He said it hurt so bad that he couldn't sleep on his back anymore, which is what prompted him to see the doctor at work. When he went back the next week to find out what it was and get medicine and stuff, the doctor commented on how odd the wound looked because it had started to heal on its own, which isn't typical of mrsa. My brother asked how the heck he got it and the doctor said it probably originally was a bug bite and he could've gotten mrsa at the gym or at swim practice because there are only so many places his back comes into contact with things in public.

When I saw the wound over Christmas, it was still the size of a half dollar and it was stilll very black and gross (it actually reminded me of lava that creeps up on roads and dries - like all puffyish kind of). He didn't say anything about being resistant to antibiotics (the doctor gave him a cream to put on it and he had to put it in his nose, too, as a precaution because he had had a zit near his nose and had popped it so it was an open wound and didn't want it to spread), but I did tease him a lot about how he shouldn't touch my baby cuz he was a mrsa-spreader and he kept saying how it wasn't contagious because it was healing.

Comment

From the descriptions you gave, seems you have community-acquired MRSA. In the EDs I have worked in, it is very common, and, thankfully, easily treated. If you are ready to freak out, no need.

There are several good sources of information about the care and treatment of MRSA; there is CDC#1 and CDC #2, and I have printed and given out this sheet in the past, too.

Lots more from Google where these came from. We all must live happily in balance with our germy neighbors, especially when they live on us.

Carry on!

Comment

Working...
          X