Pro Bowl Leaving Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Bowl Leaving Hawaii

HONOLULU – Governor Linda Lingle issued the following statement today regarding the NFL Pro Bowl:

"...While I am disappointed the Pro Bowl likely will not be played in Hawai‘i in 2010, I respect the NFL’s decision to play the post-season all-star game in the same city as the Super Bowl, one-week before the Super Bowl, on a one-year test basis.

“The senior leadership of the NFL told me explicitly that their decision had nothing to do with anything the State did or did not do, but was an opportunity to try something they had been talking about for years.

“I am optimistic that the Pro Bowl will return to Hawai‘i in 2011...."

LINK: To rest of article and other coverage

Re: Pro Bowl Leaving Hawaii

The reason the Pro Bowl is leaving Hawaii is based on attendance. But remember, I did not say ticket sales. Every year the game sells out completely. But when you go into the stadium, you find about half the seats are empty. Those empty seats make for bad television. It appears as if nobody is at the game.

Well, those of us who live here, and go to the Pro Bowl, know the real reason.

THE PARTY IS IN THE PARKING LOT. WOOO WOOO.

We buy a ticket to a tailgate party. Eat and drink, local style. By the time you pau kau kau, it's the 4th quarter already.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

The dealbreaker for this is when the Pro Bowl designees whose teams are in the Super Bowl refuse to play in the game because it's scheduled for the intervening weekend between the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl itself. No way are they, their coaches or their owners going to risk injury by playing in a meaningless exhibition game before the biggest game of their careers.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
        The dealbreaker for this is when the Pro Bowl designees whose teams are in the Super Bowl refuse to play in the game because it's scheduled for the intervening weekend between the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl itself. No way are they, their coaches or their owners going to risk injury by playing in a meaningless exhibition game before the biggest game of their careers.
        Yeah, I don't expect any players from the respective Conference Championship teams are going to play in a Pro Bowl game just prior to the Super Bowl game.

Stoopid business move on their part. That and moving to Miami. Hope it snows or get very chilly.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The NFL has been wanting to make this change for years. Why, who knows.
          Other than a very few who might live in or nearby Florida, there isn't a single player that prefers Miami over Honolulu, and then there are the wives and kids...

To expect any Super Bowl bound coach to allow a player to participate is folly. So you'll only get non-bowlers in the now so-called Pro Bowl, which further dilutes the quality of an already disrespected game.

I love the Pro Bowl, I've seen some priceless moments since 1980, but this will snuff it for many.

Makes one wonder just how hard those who have influence tried to retain it.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            The NFL has been wanting to make this change for years. Why, who knows.
            I want to know. I don't care if it is the most meaningless, idiotic reason behind the move, I just want to know.

So I can ridicule their mainlander-based "intelligence."

Comment

Random, it's easy. I have heard announcers, analysts, network reps, and league reps, for the past 10 years, talking about it on various TV spots.

Everybody knows the real reason. It's a sellout, and the stands are half empty. Makes for bad TV.

Why would anybody go inside the stadium when,

THE TAILGATE PARTY IS THE BEST IN THE NATION. Woo Hoooooo!

The only solution is to allow coolers inside the stadium, and prohibit loitering, cooking, eating, drinking, music, smoking, lawn chairs, port-a-johns, BBQ's, childrens toys, poptents, tables, chafing dishes, sterno, etc etc etc.

In Hawaii, if given a choice between a good party, or a football game, I think you all know the answer.

Let's just keep having the party in the parking lot, and set up big screen TV's to watch the game. That's how it is now.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

The Pro Bowl players just go through the motions during the game. I would like to see a college all star team or a top rank college team play the Detroit Lions.

Comment

The Pro Bowl was pretty doggone good...

The Pro Bowl players just go through the motions during the game.[/quote]

This isn't always the case, but these day's it's more likely as the real ballers fade away and we're left with the American Idol version of the NFL.
                  There have been some great/fun moments in these games, and the 4th qtr. always get's exciting (where were you, Tim, ...oh yeah...wuhu) as they go for the $, and some pride.
                  In the 80s, it was cool to go to the stm./Radford practices and see the true remaining greats do their thing, and have chances at actually talking in length/depth with them. It's probably different now.

I've got buku autographs of Hall Of Famer's and memories of good conversations with them, and I'll always remember watching a nattily attired Howard Cosell 'fixing' himself out of view before stepping in front of the small crowd, complete with a big new stoggie, to a rapturous response. He was one happy guy at that moment.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Shoots Ron, by the 4th quarter, I'm stuffed like a Christmas goose, 5 sheets to the wind, and raising sail, reclining on the canvas "barca-lounger, with the fold out ottoman, and we finally got the satellite tuned in so the big screen is working out in the parking lot.

I'm watching Cincy vs VTech right now on my new 42" plasma that Santa brought me.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                      I'm watching Cincy vs VTech right now on my new 42" plasma that Santa brought me.
                      And thankfully, anyone wishing to can watch the Pro Bowl, as well. For awhile there, the view from an Aloha Stadium seat was the only one available for most of us!

The NFL announced yesterday that today’s game will be aired live locally. League policy requires all games sell out 72 hours prior to kickoff in order for a live broadcast the local market. The NFL twice postponed the original deadline from Thursday to 11:30 a.m. yesterday with commissioner Roger Goodell calling a late push of ticket sales “encouraging.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

The Pro Bowl Committee should make an effort to make the Pro Bowl as exciting as the Super Bowl. Make some kind of contest or event to bring the ticketholders inside the stadium to fill up the seat.

Comment

It could have an old timers game with O.J. running in an orange jumpsuit.

Comment

Maybe Simon, Randy, Paula and Cara could replace the referees?

Comment

Did you see all the 'Hawaii' shots yesterday amongst the Football?
                              People freezing elsewhere's went "OMG", I gotta get there!

What a loss to National advertising for Hawaii,
                              since the Pro Bowl is leaving.
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X