Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Octuplets

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    Doctors do not have to treat a patient [disclaimer: I'm not referring to emergency situations]. Matter of fact, a doctor can even discharge a patient if they choose to, as long as they don't "abandone" the patient without due notice. I've worked for a doctor who discharged two patients that I know of, because the patients would not cooperate with what they needed to do to help insure success of the treatment.
    In fact, doesn't the Hippocratic oath state that the first priority is to do no harm? A multiple pregnancy is inherently risky. Putting mother and children at risk is doing harm, isn't it?

Comment

According to one report I heard, there was just one implant, but it multiplied (as with twins). Supposedly she was on a self-directed course of fertility drugs, thus resulting in multiple babies.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Awesome. Yet when a mature, financially responsible couple who can't have kids even through IVF wants to adopt just ONE baby, they have to be subjected to so much crap and have their entire lives ripped open for a chance at an adoption that costs thousands of dollars, but you can apparently do whatever you want and have however many kids you want even if you may not be able to support them.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          According to one report I heard, there was just one implant, but it multiplied (as with twins). Supposedly she was on a self-directed course of fertility drugs, thus resulting in multiple babies.
          The actual story is that she had seven frozen embryos in storage and directed the fertility doctor to implant all of them. The usual procedure is to implant, at most, two. Assuming that at least one will take and, maybe both.

The result of the implantation was that all were viable and one became a pair of twins. Thus eight babies.

Still, with six children already in the world, and with inadequate personal resources to ensure all six a solid future, why bring in eight more?

I'm wondering if it might be driven by the knowledge that such a controversial multiple birth might generate lucrative media deals (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ook-deals.html) (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle5627531.ece) or if it might be a variation of Munchausen by proxy -- this gives her the attention she craves (http://kidshealth.org/parent/general...unchausen.html).

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
            Awesome. Yet when a mature, financially responsible couple who can't have kids even through IVF wants to adopt just ONE baby, they have to be subjected to so much crap and have their entire lives ripped open for a chance at an adoption that costs thousands of dollars, but you can apparently do whatever you want and have however many kids you want even if you may not be able to support them.
            This is where I start thinking "There oughta be a law....to license potential parents". As someone who has gone through the adoption route and have a beautiful 17 yr. old daughter as a result, the inspection of every aspect of our lives from financial to mental and physical health to extended family was such an intrusion YET others who are mentally and/or financially insecure, incompetent or immature pop them out like litters. Something ain't right!

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
              This is where I start thinking "There oughta be a law....to license potential parents".
              They ought to put CPS right next door to the DMV, assuming I'm going to have to renew BOTH licenses. (For now, I only need my driver's license.)

Hypothethically, if one were to fail to renew the parental license, does that mean one has to leave the child(ren) at home as you would a car?
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

She, the doctor, and the family planed it all for the money and fame.
                Her last eight embrios were inplanted at the same time. She and the doctor had to have known what would happen.
                They probably watch Jon and Kate plus eight on TV and thought they could do better, and make more money, with octuplets.
                It's just a spoiled kid who wants it all, and is willing to do anything to get it.
                Reports are she has already hired someone to make deals for her. Kind of like a sports agent.
                I think it's all wrong.

Comment

oops. double post.
                  Last edited by Composite 2992; February 3, 2009, 12:13 PM.

Comment

This is where the mass media needs to practice constraint. Starting with Oprah.

There should be a general rule among the major media outlets: Don't encourage people to do stupid things.

The mother put herself into this predicament. She needs to deal with it on her own, and not be allowed to collect the big bucks by turning her newly expanded family into an overpriced sideshow.

If the news outlets have any sense of what's right, they'd boycott this story. If not, at least don't start a bidding war over it. If she won't do an interview for free, then forget it. At least that's what should happen. As to what will happen: market forces will probably prevail.

Comment

If you've see the latest news about this nut case, you'll have to agree that she's doing it all for the fame and money.
                      With all the money she needs to care for the extra eight kids, why did she spend big bucks on plastic surgery??????
                      Her mom is the one taking care of the kids, not her.
                      Did you see how they live????
                      Can you imagine how crowded it will be with eight more kids in that small house????
                      I'm sure initially she will make lots of money off of this, but what's going to happen to the kids when the novelty wares off?????
                      When money runs out?????
                      Can you say welfare??????

Comment

I don't think she meant to have eight more.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think the state needs to move in NOW. Even daycare centers have ratio rules for infant/toddler care. Unless she plans to hire enough caregivers so she can continue her schooling.

And I read she was on disability for "low back problems." Interesting she could carry the 8 babies to 30 weeks. That needs to be revisited as well.

Fishy, fishy, and I am so sorry these kids have to be the pawns.

Comment

She stopped receiving disability when they found out she was pregnant. She does receive state assistance - WIC and ssi for 3 kids (she can receive up to almost $800 per child depending on their disability): one is autistic, another has ADHD and the third had speech delays w/ autistic tendancies. Medi-cal is suspected to foot her humongoid medical bill. In her mind, all of this isn't welfare. Her sole source of income atm are student loans (I'm assuming she didn't get a loan for the spring semester as she isn't in school...?). Her kids go to school with her and go to the daycare at Cal State Fullerton, which has a state-subsidized rate (which I'm sure she gets). Not sure if the daycare will have room for all of 'em now... :/

While she may not have meant to more than double her family size, she knew the chances when she asked to have all six remaining embryos implanted and I don't think she would change her past actions if she could. Sure, the chances of the embroyos succeeding, let alone splitting, are excruciatingly low, but she got what she wished for, that's for sure.

After watching Dateline lastnight, I think she's definitely delusional and needs some mental help. While she seems pleasant and nice, she's got some screws loose. I think her oldest daughter (5, I think?) has more of a grasp on reality than she does. Nadja is convinced that getting her Masters will fix everything (aka I'm gonna get me a tv show!). She is "planning" on moving into a bigger home, but didn't say how she was going to afford that since she really can't afford the house she's in now. She said there will be friends and volunteers coming in and out of the house to help when the babies come home, but I don't recall seeing any baby furniture (such as 4-8 cribs) for the babies let alone any ROOM for furniture. The freebies apparently aren't rolling in (aka no one wants to be associated with this train wreck) and her PR firm has set up a site for donations (I found it odd they didn't have photos of their own of the babies and had to use NBC's). Apparently her church is helping her, which is something I would expect to happen.

Wish her and her kids the best. The babies are absolutely precious.

Comment

Something tells me this woman could easily be a pathological liar. And, I agree with Kelly...delusional and train wreck. Still, I first blame the doctor. He's not returning calls. I wonder why!

Comment

This 'doctor' has a long record of controvery to say the least. He should lose his license. At least, he took advantage of this woman, with her consent.

I've long hated this unregulated practice of embyo implants, not that the majority of women aren't legit, but you always hear of mothers having multiple births when they already have kids, not infertile!

Their plans have gone seriously array and at the expense of those babies who will all possibly have a rough life with the typical health abnormalities from being crammed in there with 5, 6, 7 others.
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X