Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transplant to Indiana

Hi

My name is Kamalani. I was born in Hawaii on Oahu. I grew up on the Westside of the Island, Nanakuli to be exact. I graduated from Nanakuli in 1995. I moved to Indiana in 1999 to go to college and have been living here since. I have my BA in International Studies and am currently working in IT and a server administrator. Any questions, just ask.

Re: Transplant to Indiana

Aloha mo malo'e lelei Kamalani. Would you care to share any cultural adjustments you had to make when moving from Hawai'i to the heartland of the US, both initially and continuing? My ancestral roots are in Kansas, although I've never lived there, I have visited relatives there on occasion, and note significant cultural differences.

I note that you are quickly approaching the time equal to living outside of Hawai'i as living on the islands. How do you feel about that?

Good to have you here on HT.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Re: Transplant to Indiana

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      Aloha mo malo'e lelei Kamalani. Would you care to share any cultural adjustments you had to make when moving from Hawai'i to the heartland of the US, both initially and continuing? My ancestral roots are in Kansas, although I've never lived there, I have visited relatives there on occasion, and note significant cultural differences.

I note that you are quickly approaching the time equal to living outside of Hawai'i as living on the islands. How do you feel about that?

Good to have you here on HT.
      Hi

So to answer your question about the cultural adjustments I had to make moving from Hawaii to Indiana. It has been so long so I'm sure I will return to this post when I remember something else. I guess the biggest things I had to get used to is the speed of things. Things and people here move too fast. They don't take the time to look around and enjoy the trip, they are just concerned upon getting to their destination. I remember walking between classes and noticing that even though we had 10 minutes to get to class, people would get to class in 3 minutes and not take the full 10 minutes to get there. Life in Hawaii was so much more laid back but life here is way more tense and fast paced.

The other thing is when it comes to driving, people here never let you in or they block the entrance into the parking lot from the road and if you let someone in they don't wave to thank you. I miss the shakas.

Another thing is no one likes to hold doors open, When I hod doors open I would get strange looks. lol

yeah another thing is no more ManapuaMan and the food here sucks.

Now to answer your other question, I didn't notice that I am coming upon being away from Hawaii as long as I lived there, wow where did the time go. It felt that I lived longer in Hawaii then I have here, anyway, thanks for that! I don't like that fact but here is the thing I have two wonderful little boys and even though I am not with their mom anymore, I will still be here for them.

I miss Hawaii and the way of life and culture but for now, South Bend Indiana is home.

Comment

Working...
      X