Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Honua > The American Asylum
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Kumu

Default Here's what we're about to give up

Wanna see what TSA employees will soon see?

http://www.snotr.com/video/3689

Common folks, let's fight for our rights, fer cryin out loud!
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Here's what we're about to give up

I fear for the sex lives of the TSA employees who have to look at dreadful body types all day long.
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Ali`i

Talking Re: Here's what we're about to give up

Hmm. It can even shape out your private parts.

Can I get this in colorized version?

I'm telling you, a nudist airline service is the way to go.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Ali`i

This machine was demonstrated on the Today Show this morning. Due to the graphic imaging and the show's time slot, the male subject's private area had to be blocked out.

Even more distressing to me is that the world is in such a mess that the need for this technology exists at airports. My daughter practically lives in airports. I'll be interested to hear her take on this subject.
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Kia`aina

I don't see what the big deal is with this. As long as the person viewing the images doesn't see the people then I'd be fine with it. I find a thorough (how it's supposed to be done) pat down to be a lot more invasive.
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Ali`i

Questions to ask are:
  1. Are the images of people going through the machine stored?
  2. Does the machine use X-Rays or some other radiation source to make the images?
  3. Does one have a choice between going through the machine or being patted?
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Ali`i

I'd hate to be the one looking at so much body ugly. But it would probably be good for those screeners that sit all day to lose some appetite.

I wonder how many foil wrapped cucumbers they get a day...?
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Ali`i

It is reported (I can't give the link right now) that the problem with scanners is that it cannot detect explosives hidden in male and female body cavities (use your imagination). Smuggling drugs in body cavities is a common ploy in prisons.

Body scanning is much todo about nothing. Terrorists will always be one step ahead of our vaunted homeland security. With the current world situation, there will always be an element of extra risk in almost anything we do.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Questions to ask are:
  1. Are the images of people going through the machine stored?
There will always be some TSA pervert who will find a way to store the images for "personal use" and release them on the Internet. Count on it.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapule View Post
There will always be some TSA pervert who will find a way to store the images for "personal use" and release them on the Internet. Count on it.
Just as there surely are perverts who install two way mirrors or pinhole cameras in bathrooms and dressing rooms.
Old January 9th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Thumbs down Re: Here's what we're about to give up

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Just as there surely are perverts who install two way mirrors or pinhole cameras in bathrooms and dressing rooms.
...and just as surely as there are corporations willing to condone those perverts.

Pennsylvania Walmart Sued for Videotaping Employees, Customers in Bathroom

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Ali`i

I found some interesting info at: http://casesblog.blogspot.com/2009/1...=Google+Reader
The old style scanners:
Quote:
The X-ray is not strong enough to penetrate much beyond the skin, so it cannot find weapons that may be hidden in body cavities.

The amount of radiation used during this scan is equal to 15 minutes of exposure to natural background radiation such as the sun's rays. One scan emits less than 10 microrem, the unit used to measure radiation. Comparably, an hour on an airplane at a high altitude exposes a passenger to 300 microrem, and the average person is exposed to 1,000 microrem of radiation over the course of a normal day.

Thirty hours of airplane travel is the equivalent of one chest X-ray

The X-ray scan gives a person as much radiation as he or she would get from two minutes of flying in an airplane at 30,000 feet. A traveler would have to undergo more than a thousand scans in a year to equal one standard chest X-ray.

The newer style scanners:
Quote:
The newer type of scanners, called a "millimeter wave" machine, doesn't use radiation. It uses electromagnetic waves to create an image based on energy reflected from the body. According to the TSA these devices deliver 10,000 times less energy than a person's cell phone.
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Ali`i

Cool Re: Here's what we're about to give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
The newer style scanners:
Called millimeter wave machines.... (I couldn't grab the whole quote)....
But it seemed so similar to the reassurances we got about "Agent Orange" in the late 1960's....

We know where that went: hundreds of thousands of claims against the government by US soldiers. YOUR tax dollars....

We are not rats to be experimented upon. Or so we suspect....

Although we are grateful for the airline agencies to keep their customers (us), safe, and to protect their valuable, insured (i.e., replaceable) machinery; we are NOT their experimental lab rats.

NOT LAB RATS!!!!!

Granted, we are asking for a voluntary service, and they can determine the conditions under which such commerce can occur, we have the right to demand "reasonable" inspection as much as they have the similar right.

What is reasonable???????

And, how much can we, as individual citizens, expect to give up for the reasonable thrusts toward security offered by the airlines?

It seems to me a double-edged sword:

Airlines have an obligation for safe travel on two fronts:
1) They must ensure the safety of their passengers,and
2) they must protect their investments (their planes).

I feel certain they are doing both, to the best of their abilities. The question becomes: 'Where and when are they violating customer's rights?

Customers can always refuse travel and fly via another airline. Basic "Freedom of Choice."

Ultimately, or reasons of airline safe travel, we will need to relinquish privacy, or drive, or go back to horse and buggy.

Careful what you choose!

K~~~~~~!
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
There will always be some TSA pervert who will find a way to store the images
Well, that credit goes to whoever thought that a [mobile] phone should have a digital camera feature.

Old January 10th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Ali`i

Some perv at TSA will store body-scan images?

That TSA perv needs to hear about this thing called the Internet, where it's actually possible to find pictures of nekkid ladies.
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
Some perv at TSA will store body-scan images?

That TSA perv needs to hear about this thing called the Internet, where it's actually possible to find pictures of nekkid ladies.
Bwahahaha!
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Kumu

Here's the stupid thing about these scanners- it won't stop terrorist from blowing up airplanes. In fact, the scanners won't really provide any more information that what our current security system provides. All we're doing is giving up more of our freedoms.

Watch this video and see what I mean- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fESo6JweU20
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
You can never have enough nekkid ladies ... or nekkid men if that give you jolly ... to look at. Trust me, I've tried.

Old January 12th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
Here's the stupid thing about these scanners- it won't stop terrorist from blowing up airplanes.
Unfortunatly, Bob, you are correct on that point.

Quote:
All we're doing is giving up more of our freedoms.
It is time to lay the blame where it belongs,........on US foreign policy influenced by the military/industrial complex and outside foreign lobbyists, regardless of party.

Old January 12th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Unfortunatly, Bob, you are correct on that point.

It is time to lay the blame where it belongs,........on US foreign policy influenced by the military/industrial complex and outside foreign lobbyists, regardless of party.
Amen to that!

Don't you find it curious that "they" had these scanners up and running as soon as the Xmas Eve bomb scare? It indicates to me that they either planned the whole thing way ahead of time, or they were just waiting for something to happen so they could force it down our throats. You don't just design and manufacture these scanners overnight.
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Don't you find it curious that "they" had these scanners up and running as soon as the Xmas Eve bomb scare? It indicates to me that they either planned the whole thing way ahead of time, or they were just waiting for something to happen so they could force it down our throats. You don't just design and manufacture these scanners overnight.
I thought the concept of such scanners began way back in ... oh, what's the date ... September 11, 2001.

Or it may be thought of before since people were and are being used as drug mules.

I'm sure there are better ways to protect air travel, but like the Chevy Volt before the gas-guzzling Ford Model T, we've a long way to go.

IMNSHO, we're best off flying nude ... or bring back the ferries.

Old January 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Bob, you need to keep your eye on the ball! W's last Homeland Security chief (I forget his name right now) is now the CEO of the company that manufacters these scanners. He is lobbying members of Congress to make scanning required in all airports served by US flagged carriers. AND GUESS WHOSE SCANNERS THEY WILL BE USING? You don't need to be Phi Beta Kappa to figure that one out!

This is all BS! Can I say that on HT?

In my opinion, Gen. Patreaus is making a bid for the Republican nomination in in 2012. He is a warhawk on the Middle East. He is a major part of the failed US foreign policy. DO NOT SUPPORT THIS GUY!

Last edited by matapule; January 12th, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Bob, you need to keep your eye on the ball! W's last Homeland Security chief (I forget his name right now) is now the CEO of the company that manufacters these scanners. He is lobbying members of Congress to make scanning required in all airports served by US flagged carriers. AND GUESS WHOSE SCANNERS THEY WILL BE USING? You don't need to be Phi Beta Kappa to figure that one out!
Never been in a fraternity, nor score with sorority chicks.

Quote:
This is all BS! Can I say that on HT?

Yes, you can say that. Just never thought you would be prone to spouting out obscenity.

Be my naughty, be my naughty girl.

Quote:
In my opinion, Gen. Patreaus is making a bid for the Republican nomination in in 2012. He is a warhawk on the Middle East. He is a major part of the failed US foreign policy. DO NOT SUPPORT THIS GUY!
Meh. The Republican lost their bid for Presidency.

AFAIC, the foreign policy ball is now in Obama's and Hillary's court, and so far, nothing's changed. They just reminded me of teachers who can't scold the delinquently misbehaved students in the back of the classes so they lash out to the students in the front for making small talks.

Old January 13th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Ali`i

I can only wonder at why every incident must lead to a new policy response. Okay, mistakes were made. No new policy is going to prevent mistakes. Carry on, please.
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
I thought the concept of such scanners began way back in ... oh, what's the date ... September 11, 2001.

Or it may be thought of before since people were and are being used as drug mules.

I'm sure there are better ways to protect air travel, but like the Chevy Volt before the gas-guzzling Ford Model T, we've a long way to go.

IMNSHO, we're best off flying nude ... or bring back the ferries.
Maybe so, they couldn't get public approval to use these things unless something like this happens. You don't go developing million dollar equipment and just let it sit around waiting for something to happen. It's like the Swine Flu vaccine- you get the vaccine patent, then you release the damn thing on the public so you can make billions on your concoction. If the timing isn't right, you'll lose big time.