Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old July 29th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Longs to become CVS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
Don't forget, if Star Moiliili becomes a Longs, there's another Longs just a few blocks away, a very busy Longs. My guess is they would close the Longs near Stadium Park and just migrate to the newer, larger location.
Pay n Save was there before Longs at that location. What was there before Pay n Save?
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Ali`i

back in 1966, when I got married - that was an appliance & furniture store. We bought a living room set and a TV there. don't remember the name but the furniture & tv lasted longer than the marriage
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Haumana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Pay n Save was there before Longs at that location. What was there before Pay n Save?
At one point, it was a Wigwam, and then a PayLess (or Pay & Save.)

Garry
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Ali`i

Not sure if it's been mentioned here previously . . . when i dropped in for a quick purchase @ Longs Ala Moana yesterday, the bag I got for my stuff was a CVS bag, not the familiar green-logo Longs . . . and the receipts from the new computer system check outs say "thanks for shopping at CVS.." at the bottom. nevertheless, CVS maintains they will keep the Longs store name.

Again, may have been covered here previously, but has anyone done a Walgreens/Longs comparison shop. From the Walgreens ads in the Sunday paper, looks like same-old.

I have noticed one change in Longs operations - at least at the Kailua Longs:

Used to be all/most of the Sunday ad sale stuff was set aside in a single aisle toward the middle of the store - and ONLY sale stuff was in that aisle - so it was easy just to cruise down that row with the shopping list. Now, however, there is a mix of sale and non-sale items - and I suspect it may be deliberate. I.e., in the "old days," all the stuff there was on sale, so customers may assume anything they grab there is a sale item - until they get to the register. Subtle . . .

Also, there is a new aisle designation for "promotions..." but it's hard to tell whether the marked prices are really sale prices, and the items in that aisle are also available on their "regular" shelves elsewhere in the store.

Gotta pay attention too much . . .

Do I have too much time on my hands? Over-analyzing?
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned here previously . . . when i dropped in for a quick purchase @ Longs Ala Moana yesterday, the bag I got for my stuff was a CVS bag, not the familiar green-logo Longs . . . and the receipts from the new computer system check outs say "thanks for shopping at CVS.." at the bottom. nevertheless, CVS maintains they will keep the Longs store name.

Again, may have been covered here previously, but has anyone done a Walgreens/Longs comparison shop. From the Walgreens ads in the Sunday paper, looks like same-old.

I have noticed one change in Longs operations - at least at the Kailua Longs:

Used to be all/most of the Sunday ad sale stuff was set aside in a single aisle toward the middle of the store - and ONLY sale stuff was in that aisle - so it was easy just to cruise down that row with the shopping list. Now, however, there is a mix of sale and non-sale items - and I suspect it may be deliberate. I.e., in the "old days," all the stuff there was on sale, so customers may assume anything they grab there is a sale item - until they get to the register. Subtle . . .

Also, there is a new aisle designation for "promotions..." but it's hard to tell whether the marked prices are really sale prices, and the items in that aisle are also available on their "regular" shelves elsewhere in the store.

Gotta pay attention too much . . .

Do I have too much time on my hands? Over-analyzing?
No over-analyzing on your behalf, these are tried and true marketing techniques. Often, sale items are loss leaders to draw people into the store and hopefully, they will pick up other items along the way. Mixing sale and non-sale items will definitely increase the chance a shopper will pick up other items.
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
[...]Mixing sale and non-sale items will definitely increase the chance a shopper will pick up other items.
Exactly. A retail business such as Longs/CVS wants the customer to walk the entire store in the hopes of impulse purchases. I don't think I've ever noticed the Longs' that I frequent have all the advertised sale items in one aisle. Sure would be nice, tho'!
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Ali`i

The cash registers at Longs now have the items purchaed displayed in small print and hard to see. I guess they want you to buy reading glasses.
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: Longs to become CVS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
Don't forget, if Star Moiliili becomes a Longs, there's another Longs just a few blocks away, a very busy Longs. My guess is they would close the Longs near Stadium Park and just migrate to the newer, larger location.
In terms of square footage, the “new” location would not be larger unless CVS decides to convert most of Star’s parking lot to retail floor space. As I said before, the current Mō‘ili‘ili Longs has one of the largest parking lots of any store in the area, because they have three levels (ground, second level, and rooftop).

My best guess at this point, is the Star location has better visibility, thus making it a more attractive stopover for consumers. CVS could build their flagship store without closing the old Stadium Park location, and sell that site when the economy turns around. I would imagine they would refuse to entertain an offer by Walgreen’s. But I must say, that this seems unlikely. It would involve a capital investment in the million$, and would the return really be worth it?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old August 11th, 2010, 02:50 PM
sansei

hi my truest apologie's for posting this here,only i couldnt find where to post this on long's.

i wish to share that if you would need to take your watch into kam long's to their watchmaker,if they need to look at it and put in a new battery,they'd charge $8 and then you'd be able to pick it up the next day and if this may not help,then you'd be able to visit sear's watchmaker and he'd look at it for no charge and since my deceased father's once casio watch wasnt working,i took my watch to another long's to have the watchmaker look at it and he may put in a new battery and charge me about $6 or maybe $7 since it add's tax.

well thank's for your time
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:56 PM
sansei

hi i wish to share since kam and pali long's that if someone open's the back of their watch,the watchmaker at both store's wont touch it is he's been liable when the watchmaker for both store's was liable when something wasnt right so i took my watch to sear's and they fixed it for $15 and the battery i purchased it at kam long's that i didnt know wasnt working and so the watchmaker at sear's put a new battery in and it's now working so i thought to share if anyone may need their battery put in or watch fixed,i'd take it to sear's watchmaker is they charge to fix at the inexpensive price.

Well thank's for your time
Old August 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM
sansei

hi,i wish to share that today at long's ala moana,

the watchmaker is in at this moment and he'll be replacing my watchbattery and it'll cost me about $10.00 and tomorrow,i'll go and pick it up and long's kam has their watchmaker come in on wed which once was tues and long's pali,their watchmaker come's in on thurs and sat and downtown the watchmaker come's in on thurs after being at pali so i thought to share this with everyone.

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:07 PM
sansei

hi today i picked up my watch that was fixed by the ala moana long's and it only costed me $7.00 and it was worth it is my watch is pretty old so when the watchmaker opened it,he had to set it from inside since the outside was a bit rusty so when i picked my watch up,

it's now working.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:25 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansei View Post
hi today i picked up my watch
Watch, Time
I get it.
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Watch, Time
I get it.
================================================
Good one! Cryptic snipe/joke.
Old October 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM
sansei

hi today i had my #60 Ink color filled and it only cost me $6.81cent's and i parked my moped outside where it say's bike and moped's and i went in, waited for about 15 Minute's and paid for my #60 color ink and then went to Don Quiojte and pick up something and left and just arrived home a few minute's ago. only the walgreen's at kam which was once kam bowl that they arent able to fill the #60 Color ink so only kapiolani walgreen's does it.

Well thank's for your time
Old October 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Ali`i

I'm a bit confused, sansei. Did you have your ink refilled at Longs/CVS or Walgreens?
Old October 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
sansei

hi in response to tutusue,it's kapiolani walgreen's sorry for the confusion.

Closed Thread