Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hui Aloha > Islands Ahoy
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Maui Dream Day

Acousticlady! You are a sweetheart!! Thanks for that info, I'm going to recommend this to the bf, in a little while ... and uhmmm, age difference(??) , whatevas, my best friend is 54, and my favorite lady to talk story with is 82. I bet you're younger than you know!!
PS - I'm super proud of you being in school and all ...New York is great, and I hope you love it, but drinks are on me when you come back!
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Kumu

Four days`s and camping on Maui, hummm:. Check out Maui County Parks and Rec. web for camping permits. Kanaha Beach Park is the only option in the Central area. Not sure about Olowalu, I think its private. Not to many camping places here due to the homeless problem.
FYI, you can now drive past Hana without turning around, the road has since opened.
Going to S.Maui then stop off at Puu Olai, or big beach. If cannot then Kamaole I.II,III nice beaches.
W.Maui, Kaanapali and Kapalua drive, you can drive this route taking you along the nothern tip of Maui bring you back to the Wailuku area. You can then continue to Iao valley.
The Upcounty drive is also awesome, As noted the lavender farm is a nice stop off. You can continue your drive either to Haiku or Paia and check out Hookipa Park.
Hope this small kine info was helpful and hope the weather is good and you have a good "maui Dream Day".
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Ali`i

Our housemate just got back from Maui. He and his companion drove to Hana and past (which is the best part). After that past road, about 30 minutes after Hana is a bridge that may or may not be worth jumping off of. One of my old friends did it a long time ago and said it was an awesome experience. If you go down to the river, pool, lake-thing that's under the bridge, there are some waterfalls there and more within hiking distance you don't want to miss. There's a parking lot there, so I guess it's not hard to miss. Sorry my directions are so vague. I've never been there. Maybe someone else could fill in gaps?

It sounded like a good TG adventure!

Also,
Waianapanapa State Park is near Hana and you can camp there. There are hiking trails and old caves to explore, and a black sand beach (oh, and a heiau!!)
Hana Highway, near Mile Marker 32, Hana, Telephone: (808) 984-8109. Call early for tent reservations.

I'm sad. I remember talking about the 4 of us going on this trip together. I'm glad you guys get to go, though! (And I'm sitting here in 39 degree rainy weather giving you tips on Maui!)

Can't think of anything creative this time

Last edited by surlygirly; March 11th, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Ali`i

StupidFerry!!! My Maui vacation is RUINED!! It costs twice as much as I had budgeted to fly there and rent a car. And I won't be able to stay as long. And I'll have to miss out on most of the awesome hikes and sightseeing that I was planning. And I'd have to bring 3x less stuff with me. Who wants to camp in Maui without backpack chairs, hammock, snorkel gear, boogieboards, and the cookstove! Not to mention the cooler and food! If I fly there, I gotta buy my food there. I'm so disappointed!

end rant.

hmm, maybe I should have posted this to the Superferry 9 thread...
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Kumu

Sorry about the ruined vacation. Not worth the expense paying for all the extras on the airlines. Oh well!!! Maybe in the future.