Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Saw the movie Captain America: The Winter Soldier a few weeks ago at the Ward Theater (saw it the same night I saw the movie Noah).

Minor parts of the movie is having Captain America adjusting to life in the 21st century (complete with a list of things to experience which includes Star Wars and Star Trek). A major part of the movie is having an old enemy group last heard of in World War II (as well as the first Captain America movie) making a come back in a bad way. Of course Captain America is not alone, there is Black Widow from the Iron Man 2 and Avengers movie helping out, as well as Sam Wilson doing his Falcon thing as well as some of the SHIELD people pitching in.

And The Winter Soldier is name of the bad guy that Captain America tangles in the movie.

If you do go to this movie made by Marvel Studios stay while the credits are being displayed because there are two scenes that get shown for future movies made by Marvel Studios.

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, Emily VanCamp, Cobie Smulders, Robert Redford, Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Mackie. Directed by Anthony Russo and Joe Russo.

Steve Rogers is still getting acclimated to his new home, carrying around a notepad in which he writes the names of musicians, movies, politicians, and cultural references as they come up in conversation. It’s a quick reminder of the underlying stress in Rogers’s life. The Rip Van Winkle motif is certainly not new, but it does give Rogers an interesting dimension, and I always appreciate layers in my superhero movies.

In one early scene, after Rogers adds “Troubleman (soundtrack)” to his list, Natasha Romanoff (played by Scarlett Johansson) drives up in a sleek sports car to give him a ride. It’s another layer, this one falling into the plus column, because if Rogers is still dealing with the abrupt ending to his blossoming romance with agent Carter (and he seems to be), a little bit of Black Widow can ease the transition, even if the relationship seems to be platonic.

S.H.I.E.L.D. is being attacked by the titular Winter Soldier, a Russian super-tough guy Romanoff is familiar with by reputation, but weird stuff is going on that cannot be explained by this villain. A S.H.I.E.L.D. program similar to the Strategic Defense Initiative of the 1980s (only a lot more badass) is about to launch, but director Nick Fury asks for a delay until he can figure out what’s going on. He warns Rogers to “trust nobody,” which of course puts Rogers in the difficult position of seeing everyone as a potential enemy.

Action sequences are about as good as in the first Captain America film while the overarching plot of S.H.I.E.L.D. vs. Hydra isn’t very interesting, but again, the driving force is really Steve Rogers’s virtuousness, and it’s not just his patriotism, sense of duty, politeness, and desire to serve. He has a way of connecting with people wherever they are, a disarming sense of compassion and comprehension that tells people he’s on their side. This interpersonal talent makes him a quick, accurate judge of character that’s as valuable an asset as his super strength and speed. It makes me eager to see more.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
    76/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
    X