Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:18 AM

Default Re: "Life on Mars" on ABC

The good thing about the ending was that the production company was allowed by ABC to wrap the series up so that it is a complete series with a beginning and an end. Bodes well for a DVD release.

Cancelled series like "Threshold" and "Invasion" leaves viewers hanging forever since they were not allowed to make a series finale, hence my refusal to get those on DVD.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Ali`i

The DVD version of Threshold has 4 unaired episodes to it, one of which was an ending to the series.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
It does explain as to why the main characters for the most part were wearing the same clothes during the series run.
Did Ginger and the Howells bring enough clothes for a three hour tour?
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Kumu

You guys liked the ending? Am I the only one who thought it was a bit of a cop-out from the writers? I know the writers were forced to end the series quickly, and I will concede that it was pretty good as classic "it was all a dream" deus ex machina -- but I was hoping for something as compelling as the Brits got at the end of the original series.

I LOVE the way the original UK version of the show ends. I don't want to give it away for anyone who might not know, but it's a brilliant tragedy. I probably wouldn't have been happy if the US writers just copied the UK ending exactly, but damn, I wish they had come up with something less cheesy than they did.
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Ali`i

I haven't seen the early episodes but from what I read here and the other web sites plus what is shown at the beginning of each episode is that Sam is hit by a car in 2008 and he wakes up in 1973. Kind of a bit odd way of time traveling if you ask me.

Now if was chasing a bad guy in 2008 and during the chase he (and maybe the bad guy) goes through a funny looking portal and ends up in 1973 then you have the a classic time traveling story.

If I am not mistaken, wasn't Sam's clothes also was changed for 1973. Did he have money printed after 1973 with him? And he was also expected at the 125th Precinct. All the stuff suggested more of dreaming verus an actual time travel by Sam.
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
You guys liked the ending? Am I the only one who thought it was a bit of a cop-out from the writers?
Today's (4/13/09) Honolulu Star Bulletin had an article written by Ted Anthony from the Associated Press about the Life on Mars finale, however the Star Bulletin's version dropped off the last 3 to 4 words of the article.
swers. There's just this."
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Ali`i

I noticed that, too - my first thought was, "Oh, how appropriate. A story about unresolved conclusions, ends with ...." (the last few words of the story dropped).