Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kapiolani Coffee shop?

Where did they move to?????
    Any idea how much the ox tail is now?????
    Last time I ate it, it was $10.50

Re: Kapiolani Coffee shop???

Waimalu Shopping Center, on the Ezogiku side. You can get the same oxtail soup at Asahi Grill on Ward.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Kapiolani Coffee shop?

I believe they're also at Kapalama City Center, near Sugoi.

Comment

The one at Kapalama closed shop.

Comment

How much is the ox tail at Asahi grill????

So no mo Kapiolani ox tail in town????

Comment

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
            I just told you. You can get the Kapiolani oxtail soup at Asahi Grill. It's the same oxtail soup.

Read Pomai's food blog about it [url=http://tastyisland.wordpress.com/2008/08/09/oxtail-soup-at-asahi-grill/]here[url].
            Last edited by scrivener; July 20, 2009, 10:28 PM.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

anyone can explain WHY DID the Kapiolani Coffee Shop at the old GEM site not survive???

saw it when they came to relocate, and yes, it looked quite small...never sampled the food though...

Comment

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
                How much is the ox tail at Asahi grill????

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                I just told you. You can get the Kapiolani oxtail soup at Asahi Grill. It's the same oxtail soup.
                I laughed so hard....just like reading da comics.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                  I laughed so hard....just like reading da comics.

Auntie Lynn

Maybe he deaf so he no can read!

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post

Read Pomai's food blog about it [url=http://tastyisland.wordpress.com/2008/08/09/oxtail-soup-at-asahi-grill/]here[url].
                    having recently had asahi grill's oxtail soup, and having had the oxtail soup many times when it was in the kam bowl location as a hangover cure, i can most wholeheartely declare it is most decidedly NOT the same soup.

it might be the same recipe. it aint the same soup tho.

asahi grill's rendition doesn't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever taste as if it's been simmering anywhere near as long as kapiolani's at kam bowl did. you'd walk into kam bowl and smell the oxtail soup wafting in the air. you'd sit at a booth and watch through the open door how the cooks would labor over huge soup pots that never seemed to be turned off. asahi grill never smells much like oxtail. indeed, the meat is never as tender. the broth just doesn't have that gelatinous, tendony texture that made the KCS at kam bowl's so heavenly. we keep hoping for the best, and every three months or so, we put our optimistic taste buds on and head over to asahi to try again, only to come back home disappointed and jaded.

(psst: it's that tendony, gelatinous goodness that allows tenkaippin to charge $10 for a bowl of ramen and patrons don't ever grumble. psst #2: if you do go to asahi grill, stay away from the teri chicken donburi. it's an abomination of thready chicken cooked in a sauce more korean than japanese, and then slathered sriracha-mayo. psst #3: you will, however, do well to order the grilled saba. just be warned that the soup that comes with it is not much better than unflavored boiled water with flaccid noodles in it. psst #4: the $10 bowl of oxtail is the small bowl, not the large that you could get at KCS at kam bowl. psst #5: for every item you can order at asahi grill, i can name at least one other restaurant that does that dish better for cheaper.).

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
                    anyone can explain WHY DID the Kapiolani Coffee Shop at the old GEM site not survive???

saw it when they came to relocate, and yes, it looked quite small...never sampled the food though...
                    see post #353 in this thread, add my complaint about asahi grill's version of oxtail soup above, and you'll have the answer.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

the broth just doesn't have that gelatinous, tendony texture that made the KCS at kam bowl's so heavenly.
                      I've lived for twelve years about a block away from where the bowling alley used to be, and ate there frequently. This gelatinous, tendony texture that supposedly made the soup so good? I thought it was gross. I'm a slob in a lot of ways, but I HATE HATE HATE getting food on my face, and I eat soup pretty carefully and wipe my mouth after every spoonful (just about), and I'd leave that place feeling like I'd dipped my whole head in the bowl. I'd get home and it seemed like I had to wash my mouth a hundred times before any reminder of the soup was completely removed.

*shiver*

Plus, I really dislike cilantro.

But to each his/her own!
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

stay far, far, far, far away from tenkaippin, then. otherwise, you'll have a similar countenance, except chicken-flavored.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I heard/read that you either really like Tenkaippin or really hate it. No middle ground. I've never tried it, but I think I'm one of those who would like it.

As for Kam Bowl Kapiolani Coffee Shop, I never tried that either, but I did go often to their original restaurant, the one that used to be on Kapiolani Boulevard near the Aloha Motors site before it was torn down for the Convention Center. I loved it; and yes, it was messy. I tried the Waimalu version years ago; my sister bought it as take out for a party. I thought it was OK, but nothing to rave about.

Scriv, I have a feeling you don't like pig's feet soup, too. That's a somewhat in-your-face and messy concoction.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                            Scriv, I have a feeling you don't like pig's feet soup, too. That's a somewhat in-your-face and messy concoction.
                            You're forgetting the main reason I'd hate that soup: pigs' feet. No thank you.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Cheee. That's some aversion, Scrivener. I don't think I would even bother eating it if that were my follow-up routine.
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                              X