The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 4

I have to laugh at the ridiculous amount of Bush bashing - and true misunderstanding of what he faced and had to work with during his Presidency. Try to read this article with an open mind . . .

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...TgwNDUzWj.html

Ragin Cajun

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      I have to laugh at the ridiculous amount of Bush bashing - and true misunderstanding of what he faced and had to work with during his Presidency. Try to read this article with an open mind . . .

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...TgwNDUzWj.html

Ragin Cajun
      Right. The Wall Street Journal's op-ed pages are unbiased.

Who are you trying to kid?
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Open Mind. Try it.

Comment

FoxNews' Doocy confuses Obama with random black male voter

Ralph Nader uses the phrase "Uncle Tom" to describe Barack Obama

The McCain Belt - Districts that appeared stronger for McCain in 2008 than for Bush in 2004

Suddenly, it may be cool to be an American again And to think I was tempted to call myself Canadian when I went to Europe some years ago.
          Last edited by Vanguard; November 5, 2008, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            I have read your article with an open mind. I find that the article is full of inaccuracies, falsehoods, and statements not supported by the facts. My opinion of the article is that it is self serving neocon propaganda.

To compare Bush II to Truman is a travesty. If there is "true misunderstanding of what he faced and what he had to work with", then it is from your end. The fact of the matter is he had a budget with a surplus when he entered office 8 long years ago. He is going to leave office with a nation that is on the verge of bankruptcy with a debt that will impact future generations. He entered office with a nation that was virtually in peace 8 long years ago. He leaves office with a nation that is bogged down in an unwinnable conflict in the Middle East costing close to $1B per day. He entered office winning the electoral vote (even that was probably stolen in Florida) but not the popular vote 8 long years ago. He leaves office a pariah, even to his own political party.

No Stephen, good riddance to him. He has been a disaster to the American people and the American nation. In my opinion, history will judge him harshly in the lowest ranks of US Presidents. He is deserving of the repute with which the nation holds him.

Now is the time for us to believe, once again, in ourselves. We can overcome the obstacles left by W, his programs, his policies, and his bad decisions. We can do it. YES WE CAN!
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Thanks for the link, Stephen. That piece echoes my feelings...lame duck presidents in general make good scapegoats, and Dubya makes an exceptional scapegoat. Despite the repeated ugliness thrown his way and being blamed for every problem under the sun, I am glad he was our president. Give me a strong-charactered Texan any day as opposed to other weak-willed "follow the crowd" politicians. Oh, and Laura was the best First Lady I have seen in office during my lifetime. Michelle has big shoes to fill.

Obama seems strong-willed now, but his Senate voting record is questionable. Wonder what they will call him at the end of his term?
              I'm looking forward to seeing how he plans to solve all the ills of the world.

Comment

Y'all can back off any time now.

Try read about Harry Truman. I think GWB will get there, too.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                  [...]
                  Me too, cyleet, altho' "all" might be a bit of an exaggeration. There are no guarantees. Just hope, at this point. Only time will tell.

Comment

Vanguard, I saw that bullying interview of Ralph Nader last night. He did not call Obama an Uncle Tom. That journalist went way over the top to be chastising to Nader.

Comment

Said in jest, TS. I don't think he will do it either, but I have hope that some things will get better.

Comment

No, it is up to us to solve the ills of the world. Less government is better government. Presidents don't make things better, we make things better. We, the nation, need to change our attitude now. Stop looking at the Presidency as your mother who is going to take care of you. We need to take care of ourselves. We can do it! YES WE CAN!
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Dubya makes an exceptional scapegoat. Despite the repeated ugliness thrown his way and being blamed for every problem under the sun, I am glad he was our president. Give me a strong-charactered Texan any day as opposed to other weak-willed "follow the crowd" politicians. Oh, and Laura was the best First Lady I have seen in office during my lifetime. Michelle has big shoes to fill.
                          Bush hasn't even begun to get the blame he truly deserves. We don't know fully what he's pulled and certainly don't know what he's doing now or in the next 11 weeks before he's finally gone.

Also, please, tell us one thing Laura Bush has done with her 8 years as the most powerful woman in the world?
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Vanguard, I saw that bullying interview of Ralph Nader last night. He did not call Obama an Uncle Tom. That journalist went way over the top to be chastising to Nader.

Ralph Nader - Barrack could be an "uncle Tom". And right outta left field too. Any publicity is good publicity when you are fading from peoples minds and returning to nobody status.

Today a co-worker of mine called him a "black Jimmy Carter". I do fear this.
                            Last edited by AlohaKine; November 5, 2008, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Whatever we wish to call it, Nader indeed used the phrase "Uncle Tom" to describe Obama taking a possible path (from Nader's POV).

I voted for Ralph Nader in the past. Twice (not this year, of course). I voted for him because I had more faith in him and my perception of his political stance than Gore and Kerry.

What Nader did during that newscast was help discredit those who share his views. He willingly accepted an interview with FoxNews, widely believed to be the most conservative major cable news network (i.e. anti-thesis to Nader), and exposed himself in such a way that could be exploited. It's even better than when Howard Dean yelled in Iowa (looking back, it was more like a martial arts kiai for politicians )! Did you see how those journalists gleefully carved Nader's political career tombstone on the air?

Nader didn't HAVE to use the phrase "Uncle Tom". I believe he could have made his point just fine without choosing that particular soundbyte. Now who's going to take up Nader's political causes? Cynthia McKinney?

Comment

http://www.newsweek.com/id/167581

Interesting article on campaign secrets including:

"/snip

One senior aide said that Nicolle Wallace had told Palin to buy three suits for the convention and hire a stylist. But instead, the vice presidential nominee began buying for herself and her family—clothes and accessories from top stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus. According to two knowledgeable sources, a vast majority of the clothes were bought by a wealthy donor, who was shocked when he got the bill. Palin also used low-level staffers to buy some of the clothes on their credit cards. The McCain campaign found out last week when the aides sought reimbursement. One aide estimated that she spent "tens of thousands" more than the reported $150,000, and that $20,000 to $40,000 went to buy clothes for her husband. Some articles of clothing have apparently been lost. An angry aide characterized the shopping spree as "Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman Marcus from coast to coast," and said the truth will eventually come out when the Republican Party audits its books.

A Palin aide said: "Governor Palin was not directing staffers to put anything on their personal credit cards, and anything that staffers put on their credit cards has been reimbursed, like an expense. Nasty and false accusations following a defeat say more about the person who made them than they do about Governor Palin."

/snip"

Comment

Working...
                                X