Will Couric's jump to CBS help KGMB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Couric's jump to CBS help KGMB?

It's official! Katie Couric announced that she is stepping down as co-host of NBC's "Today" show and will join CBS News in September as Anchor of the "CBS Evening News". Will this help KGMB 9 News improve their ratings at 6 p.m.? Will the other three local affiliates take Couric's move seriously?

Re: Will Couric's jump to CBS help KGMB?

I think it will, even if it's just the novelty of seeing Katie Couric do actual news reading and not just sitting on a sofa with a producer's interview in her lap or doing a standup with Jessica Simpson. I think Katie has the skills and the talent to fill the national news anchor seat, and I think it's refreshing that a woman gets the job. Remember Connie Chung? (sp?) Wasn't she supposedly destined for greatness at one time, too?

What I really find remarkable and encouraging is that women who are in their 40s and 50s and maybe even older working on air--Elizabeth Vargas is in her 40s; Anne Curry is, too. I mean if men can be seen as distinguished and aging gracefully as they maintain high-profile on-air jobs, women can also wear their experience and "seasoned" good looks just as well.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal

...women can also wear their experience and "seasoned" good looks just as well.
      "Preserved" might be a better word.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
        "Preserved" might be a better word.

You are so sassy, Lurkah!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

"Preserved" might be a better word. [...]
          Move over, Katie...here comes TUTU! <scratch><fut><belch>

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

Move over, Katie...here comes TUTU! <scratch><fut><belch>
            Me? Sassy? What do you call that? Feral is right.

Comment

Me? Sassy? What do you call that? Feral is right.

Man, you two need to have a pitcher of beer!
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Man, you two need to have a pitcher of beer!
                I think we did that once but Lurkah was at another table!

Comment

So...Meredith Vieira got the nod. I thought (assumed) the Today Show trained and hired from within. IOW...either Ann Curry, Campbell Brown or Natalie Morales would fill Katie's shoes...with my first choice going to Curry. The only reason I watched that show was 'cuz of Katie. Looks like I'll get my mornings back!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    So...Meredith Vieira got the nod. I thought (assumed) the Today Show trained and hired from within. IOW...either Ann Curry, Campbell Brown or Natalie Morales would fill Katie's shoes...with my first choice going to Curry. The only reason I watched that show was 'cuz of Katie. Looks like I'll get my mornings back!

I liked Ann Curry for it, too, Sue. Maybe they see vibrance in Meredith. I don't know. But like I said before, it's interesting how more senior women are holding their ground in this field. Ann Botticelli could have gone a lot further if she had wanted to.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I liked Ann Curry for it, too, Sue. Maybe they see vibrance in Meredith. I don't know. But like I said before, it's interesting how more senior women are holding their ground in this field. Ann Botticelli could have gone a lot further if she had wanted to.
                      I think Katie will be a tough act to follow regardless of who does the following. Vieira has personality and, with eyes squinted, looks a bit like Couric...at least closer than the others. And the fact that she (Vieira) is 52 bodes well for the powers that be at the Today Show. The chemistry between Katie and Matt will be difficult to replace.

My new avatar is a bribe to get you to the picnic! <inside joke!>

Comment

tutuesue that avatar is shocking (pink!) and global! How did you get my picture? hahahahaha.

Here's something I got off the net this morning:

Zucker Approached Vieira About Today Job in October (WaPo)
                        Her reaction? "I really thought you were going to skew a little younger, since I'm pretty old," said Vieira, 52. Later, Vieira had dinner at the apartment of her future co-host, Matt Lauer. LAT: Just hours after NBC announced her appointment, conservative media groups assailed her as biased, pointing to remarks she made on The View in 2004 about the Iraq war being "built on lies." TVNewser: Vieira says she will put biases aside.

and:

Vieira To 'Today:' Press Conf. Live-blogging [TVNewser]
                        1:58pm: What about the "internal candidates?" Zucker said: "The fact is that nobody's been passed over or anything like that. When you have the opportunity to add a hall of famer to your team, you take that opportunity."
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Meredith Vieira has been getting big press here in RI since the announcement was made that she's headed for the Today spot, as she is a local girl who was born in Providence. One can view segments on various local TV stations, such as interviews with old-time residents of the neighborhood she grew up remembering her when she was a little girl, clips of her when she had her first gig as a newsreporter for WJAR in Providence, etc. etc. If Matt Lauer is still on Today ( I'm clueless as to who is on it as I never watch it ), that would make two biggies on the show with an RI connection, as Lauer also worked at WJAR in his early TV days as well.

Comment

tutuesue that avatar is shocking (pink!) and global! How did you get my picture? hahahahaha.
                            [...]
                            Well, I didn't want to bring anymore shocking attention to you so I've returned to my mug shot.

Comment

I'll definately watch (or atleast channel surf past by) CBS when it happens, but I doubt I'll stick around unless its something different.

And I like Brian William's quote the best: "we'll support you [katie]... to a point"
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                              X