This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Earthquake - Big Island - 03/08/10

I must have been watching the wrong TV shows. I didn't know there was an earthquake until this morning when I checked the SB and Advertiser sites, and HT.

Comment

There was NO hysteria. The only concern I'm aware of came from the ridiculously poor audio during the civil defense crawl on tv. We couldn't tell if the earthquake generated a tsunami...you know...that thing that caused a tsunami warning, street shutdowns and evacuations less than 10 days ago. A tsunami generated off the BI hits all the islands very quickly. No luxury of time such as the tsunami generated from the Chilean earthquake. Hysteria? I don't think so.

Comment

Re: Earthquake just now

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
        the world seems to really be in a state of unrest. . .2012 is shaping up nicely.
        Hmm. Am I the only one excited about that?
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
          So much hysteria over a measly 4.4 earthquake. In California, that's just a reminder to roll over in bed. Please go back to the Chilling Out and Hanging Loose that Hawaii is supposed to be known for.
          We will, as soon as Cali breaks from the US mainland.

Yup, still waiting with party hats and decorations.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            There was NO hysteria. The only concern I'm aware of came from the ridiculously poor audio during the civil defense crawl on tv.
            Wow. Some CD sirens never blew a tsunami warning two Saturdays ago, and poor audio. And I thought Furlough Friday is the worst thing the State Government can do during the recession.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
              I missed the 2006 quake. The last 6+ I had was in 1994. We lost our house then... but that's okay, because without that event, we wouldn't be in the better one we have today.
              Oh, well. At least one could fantasize your new home is directly over the fault.

Comment

Earthquakes

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                5.0 and it indicates a tsunami...I think! I don't understand that page at all!!!
                Down the page it also has another earthquake, I think 3/9/10 04:29 is 3/8/10 18:28 here, but it's rated 4.4 rather than 5.0.

Recent Earthquakes (Past 7 Days)
                Date(UTC)MagnitudeDepth(Km)RegionLat/Long09-Mar-2010 04:29:574.431.1Island of Hawaii, Hawaii19.85° N / 155.36° W06-Mar-2010 09:39:183.249.9Island of Hawaii, Hawaii19.21° N / 155.04° W
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  TATT, the earthquakes that occur in Hawaii aren't generated by slipping or clashing tectonic plates, but strictly by volcanic activity.
                  Ummm...Pomai? Whaddya think causes volcanic activity?

In Hawai`i's case, it's the movement of the Pacific Plate over the Asthenosphere.
                  Last edited by Leo Lakio; March 9, 2010, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Ummm...Pomai? Whaddya think causes volcanic activity?

In Hawai`i's case, it's the movement of the Pacific Plate over the Asthenosphere.
                    So you're saying Hawaii's earthquakes are caused by Plate Tectonics, and not strictly by Volcanic eruptions and activity?

If so, I think you're wrong on that one. Then again, it's has been a while since I've been in a Geology classroom. Perhaps this is a good explanation of the dynamics and causes of earthquakes.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

So you're saying Hawaii's earthquakes are caused by Plate Tectonics, and not strictly by Volcanic eruptions and activity?
                      Well, more specifically, I am saying that volcanic activity is caused by plate tectonics.

The Pacific Plate is moving northwest relative to the plate that holds North America, and relative to hot spots coming up through the mantle from below the plates. Without the movement of plates along the earth's crust, you wouldn't get the magma that rises in volcanoes.

But I think what you are pointing out is that, unlike many of the world's islands, Hawai'i is NOT caused by either spreading centers (e.g., Iceland) or subduction zones (e.g., the Aleutians).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        unlike many of the world's islands, Hawai'i is NOT caused by either spreading centers (e.g., Iceland) or subduction zones (e.g., the Aleutians).
                        I think what Leo is saying is that although we HOT, we COOL!
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                          I think what Leo is saying is that although we HOT, we COOL!
                          I still like my "stubborn pimple" analogy better.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                          Well, more specifically, I am saying that volcanic activity is caused by plate tectonics.
                          I figured that's what you meant. I was just trying to convey to TATT that our earthquakes aren't DIRECTLY affected by Plate Tectonics. As an end result, as you explained, yes. Directly and immediately, no. It's strictly volcanic. That is all.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I figured that's what you meant. I was just trying to convey to TATT that our earthquakes aren't DIRECTLY affected by Plate Tectonics. As an end result, as you explained, yes. Directly and immediately, no. It's strictly volcanic. That is all.
                            I see, thanks. All is good!

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                              We will, as soon as Cali breaks from the US mainland.

Yup, still waiting with party hats and decorations.
                              San Andreas aside, the real fault seismologists are concerned about that they discovered is actually off the coast of Washington, and predicted to take out Vancouver, Washington State and Northern Oregon, leaving California intact. Nice try.
                              Last edited by bjd392; March 9, 2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                Oh, well. At least one could fantasize your new home is directly over the fault.
                                Awesome. A fault right through Waikele. Shall we name the islands East and West Oahu? Careful what you fantasize about. Nice try again.

Comment

Working...
                                X