• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ledward Kaapana honored as NEA Heritage Fellow

NEA PRESS RELEASE ---

National Endowment for the Arts Announces
    2011 NEA National Heritage Fellowship Recipients

Award is nation’s highest honor in the folk and traditional arts

Washington, DC – A slack key guitarist, Mardi Gras Indian chief, and Taiko drum leaders are among this year’s NEA National Heritage Fellowship recipients, announced today by National Endowment for the Arts Chairman Rocco Landesman. This award is the nation’s highest honor in the folk and traditional arts and each of the nine recipients will receive a one-time award of $25,000. The NEA National Heritage Fellowships public programs are made possible with support from the Golden Corral Corporation.

With this class, the NEA is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the NEA National Heritage Fellowships, awards which recognize artists for their artistic excellence and efforts to conserve America’s cultures for future generations. These nine recipients are masters of diverse traditional art forms including three art forms never before honored through the National Heritage Fellowships: Old Regular Baptist singing, Brazilian pandeiro (frame drum), and Bulgarian wedding music.

The 2011 NEA National Heritage Fellowship recipients are:

Laverne Brackens, Quilter
    (born in Butler, TX; lives in Fairfield, TX)

Bo Dollis, Mardi Gras Indian Chief
    (born in New Orleans, LA; lives in New Orleans, LA)

Jim Griffith, Folklorist
    (born in Santa Barbara, CA; lives in Tucson, AZ)
    Jim Griffith is the recipient of the Bess Lomax Hawes NEA National Heritage Fellowships award. The Bess Lomax Hawes Award recognizes an individual who has made a significant contribution to the preservation and awareness of cultural heritage.

Roy and PJ Hirabayashi, Taiko Drum Leaders
    (Roy Hirabayashi was born in Berkeley, CA; PJ Hirabayashi was born in Ross, CA; both live in San Jose, CA)

Ledward Kaapana, Ukulele and slack key guitarist
    (born in Kalapana, HI; lives in Kaneohe, HI)

Frank Newsome, Old Regular Baptist singer
    (born in Pike County, KY; lives in Haysi, VA)

Carlinhos Pandeiro de Ouro, Pandeiro player and percussionist
    (born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; lives in Los Angeles, CA)

Warner Williams, Piedmont blues songster
    (born in Takoma Park, MD; lives in Gaithersburg, MD)

Yuri Yunakov, Bulgarian saxophonist
    (born in Haskovo, Bulgaria; lives in Bloomfield, NJ)

Profiles of the artists are available in the Lifetime Honors section of the NEA’s website, along with photos, audio, and video samples of their work.

“These artists represent the highest level of artistic mastery and we are proud to recognize their achievements,” said NEA Chairman Rocco Landesman. “Through their contributions, we have been challenged, enlightened, and charmed, and we thank them for devoting their careers to expanding and supporting their art forms.”

Barry Bergey, the NEA’s director of folk and traditional arts said, “Each year the NEA National Heritage Fellowships present a view of American cultural life that makes a distinct and ever evolving statement about our nation—both the diversity of the artists themselves and the vitality of the communities in which they reside. This year’s recipients are not only master artists but are also dedicated to sharing their knowledge with others, ensuring these art forms will endure for generations to come.”

The 2011 awardees will come to Washington, D.C. in September for a series of events including an awards presentation and banquet at the Library of Congress, as well as a concert scheduled for Friday, September 23, 2011 at 8:00 p.m. at the Music Center at Strathmore in Bethesda, Maryland.

The National Heritage Fellowships awards were announced in conjunction with the announcement of the NEA Jazz Masters and NEA Opera Honors recipients. Please go to arts.gov for the list of these recipients.

The 2011 honorees join the ranks of previous Heritage Fellows, including bluesman B.B. King, Cajun fiddler and composer Michael Doucet, cowboy poet Wally McRae, gospel and soul singer Mavis Staples, and bluegrass musician Bill Monroe. Since 1982, the Endowment has awarded 367 NEA National Heritage Fellowships. Fellowship recipients are nominated by the public, often by members of their own communities, and then judged by a panel of experts in folk and traditional arts on the basis of their continuing artistic accomplishments and contributions as practitioners and teachers. This year the panel reviewed 210 nominations for the nine fellowships. The ratio of winners to nominees indicates the select nature of this national honor.

Re: Ledward Kaapana honored as NEA Heritage Fellow

Nice press release, but too bad it didn't mention any of the numerous past Hawaiian winners. Off the top of my head, Ray Kane comes to mind, of course, along with Aunty Genoa Keawe, Eddie Kamae, Kindy Sproat, the Ho`opi`i brothers, and I know there are more.
    Interesting that they put Ledward on ukulele before slack key.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Many years ago... I used to love going to 'Club Jubilee'. This club played traditional Hawaiian music just about every night of the week. You could dance to hula music and enjoy yourself. There was plenty of alcohol and food, as well. This was a great place to spend a nice evening. It could be found at 1007 Dillingham Boulevard. It's another club now.

And who would I go with? Our very own LeashLaws. Those were great times eh?!

Really enjoyed Ledward. Good fun and talented for sure!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Nice press release, but too bad it didn't mention any of the numerous past Hawaiian winners. Off the top of my head, Ray Kane comes to mind, of course, along with Aunty Genoa Keawe, Eddie Kamae, Kindy Sproat, the Ho`opi`i brothers, and I know there are more.
        Why would the NEA single out past Hawaiian winners in their press release?

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          Many years ago... I used to love going to 'Club Jubilee'. This club played traditional Hawaiian music just about every night of the week. You could dance to hula music and enjoy yourself. There was plenty of alcohol and food, as well. This was a great place to spend a nice evening. It could be found at 1007 Dillingham Boulevard. It's another club now.

I enjoyed going there when it was both Latin Villa and Club Jubilee, great times is an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Why would the NEA single out past Hawaiian winners in their press release?
            Or past winners from any other state? More likely to see local comparisons in the home states.

Pretty cool to be ranked with B.B. King and Bill Monroe!

Comment

Eric Gilliom is going to be PISSED!
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                F'real? What's he got against Led? Or is it just in his nature?

Comment

F'real? What's he got against Led? Or is it just in his nature?
                  Oh, association by guilt. Ledward, Masters of Hawn. Slack Key Guitar, Daniel Ho,.... Grammy.

Or maybe Scriv is aware of something that the rest of us don't know.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I was just playing. Seems like Eric is always pissed at whoever wins.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I was just playing. Seems like Eric is always pissed at whoever wins.
                      I hadda feeling...
                      Maybe this one won't matter to him, since it wasn't a "competition," like Grammys & Hokus.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post

You are SO RIGHT MM!!!! Those were the days "MEWS" always had the best table reserved, don't know how I always got it but it was written in stone!
                        And we always left when "Bruddah Walter & Island Afternoon" started. Not because of his music but that is when things would get "lively" there. It is now called C'est Le Vie.

Led is so talented and a treasure. He'd always play "Opihi Bounce" for me routinely! A well deserved honor to be sure.
                        Last edited by leashlaws; June 28, 2011, 08:27 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                          Led is so talented and a treasure. He'd always play "Opihi Bounce" for me routinely! A well deserved honor to be sure.
                          Lucky you!

Led continues to impress me, not only as a musician but also with his attitude. Through all the Grammy controversy of recent years, his nominations, etc., he is one of the few A-List slack key players who (to the best of my knowledge) has NOT been involved in any mud-slinging discussions. Wish the same were true of some of the other great guitarists in that genre. Led keeps smiling, keeps playing his heart out and his fingers off, and blows everyone away - jus' press!

Comment

Lucky you!

Led continues to impress me, not only as a musician but also with his attitude. Through all the Grammy controversy of recent years, his nominations, etc., he is one of the few A-List slack key players who (to the best of my knowledge) has NOT been involved in any mud-slinging discussions. Wish the same were true of some of the other great guitarists in that genre. Led keeps smiling, keeps playing his heart out and his fingers off, and blows everyone away - jus' press!
                            You are so right! He has true class. He and Sharon share the same wedding anniversary as I do (7/3) different year by a couple. I love when he plays with the paper bag on his hand.

Comment

Working...
                            X