X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 4

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
    A New England Boiled Dinner...corned beef, potatoes, cabbage (left out the carrots) and DH made a killer mac salad...OOhh too good!

Where's the leftovers?
    we'll be having that tomorrow night minus the mac salad but add the carrots. i just love cooked carrots for some reason?

no turkey. we're turkey'd out. ate the last of the stuffing, baked beans and yams for lunch today. will make chook/jook later.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

DH and I were hungry for Fried Saimin. We needed the vegetables and some ingredients. We went to Leimomi but a huge Grey Truck was blocking our drive way. DH went to look for the owner. He found the owner who said she was coming. We sat in our car and waited. Waited. And den I saw dis Tita approaching with one attitude.

DH said nuttin.

I didn't have to go out of Leimomi.

One yell and da look on my face she came a running.

No one will ever block my drive way again.

The Fried Saimin was delicious.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

you go, auntie lynn! *cheers*

eric is feeling phlegmy, headachy and body-achy, so he called in sick...er, emailed in sick (the bunch he works with all think phones are mostly for emailing, lol) to his night job and we headed to on dong on king street just after kaheka for something spicy and soupy. we ordered the hot & spicy chicken, the boiled dumplings, and one of the soupy noodle dishes. i can't remember what it's called (it's in korean) but it's #5 of the items at the top of the first page on the menu. it might have been the sahm suhng champong.

for those of you unfamiliar, on dong is a korean chinese restaurant. i guess the way to describe it is that it's what koreans from korea conceive of as a chinese restaurant. in the same way that most chinese restaurants on the american mainland are different from chinese restaurants in china, which are different from chinese restaurants in hawaii--this is a chinese restaurant, as koreans would have it in korea, but in hawaii. are you confused yet?

it's okay. read here because that writer 'splains it better. and here, for reviews.

the noodles in #5 are nicely chewy--kinda like udon but with less heft. the broth was spicy but had a sweetness to it. there were shrimps, mushrooms, and what might be sea cucumber, which tasted like a slightly chewier black mushroom. the hot and spicy chicken are lovely fried crispy and tender morsels of fowl (sometimes with skin on) in a garlicy sauce with numerous bits of bird chilies. if you run out of chicken before you eat all the yummy sauce, you'll still have some won bok, mushrooms, and bamboo shoots. trust me, you'll run out of chicken, and you'll lavish your rice with the sauce and all its slightly gooey yumminess. the man doo is among the best, homemade, that i've had (other "best man doo"s are at elim on koreamoku and at yuchun next to pro am golf on kapiolani). their kim chee is definitely authentic, and their takuan is a little more sour than the japanese kind. oh, you also get some raw onion and black hoisin sauce. see the weekly piece i linked to for hints on what to do with that (duh, eat it!) as well as the shoyu and vinegar (duh, dip stuff in it!).

hrm. having trouble getting the pics on here, so will try to post them later.

anyway, you should also try what on dong's best known for--the black bean noodles. honestly, 'tweren't our cup of tea, but then again, we didn't add some hot pepper until we were almost done with dinner. maybe if we'd done that sooner, we'd have liked em better.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Chicken [cough] noodle [sneeze] soup [hack].

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Chicken [cough] noodle [sneeze] soup [hack].
            Get well soon, Dear LikaNui!

(((Hugs)))

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Lotsa hot broth, Lika! And do the Vicks and socks thing--see the colds-flu thread.

Poor baby. Get better soon!

Comment

#6 combo and a side of cole slaw from KFC.

Comment

Personal pan pizza and a cup of Mountain Dew Baja from Taco Bell Express.

Comment

McTeri burger and fries from McDonald's
                    I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Burgers and Diet Coke from McDonalds.

Comment

Oxtail Stew, Rice and Mac Salad from Zippys.

Am content.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

3 piece original recipe chicken (plus one bonus wing), cole slaw, mashed potatoes, biscuit and a cup of Mountain Dew from KFC.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                            3 piece original recipe chicken (plus one bonus wing), cole slaw, mashed potatoes, biscuit and a cup of Mountain Dew from KFC.
                            For Christmas Eve --- that sounds yummy. A three-winged chicken, though? Ah - I wouldn't worry about mutant growth hormones or anything like that, the Mountain Dew will protect you.

Comment

Wasabi crusted prime rib roast, roasted potatoes, salad of local beets,
                              watercress, Maui goat cheese, Big Island hearts of Palm, sugar/spice
                              pecans & Maui strawberry syrup with balsamic vinegar and a big ol' Zinfandel
                              (2 kinds to compare). What a meal!

Comment

Had dinner from Blazin Steaks from Ala Moana Center.

Comment

Working...
                                X