X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Miulang
    Aaron, do you know if Garibaldi has revealed who the Big Island Superferry advisory board members are yet? I have not seen boo about this, or about the Kauai representatives...only know who the Maui reps are.

Miulang
    No I have not reading anything about that. I suspect since service to the Big Island is not going to commence until 2009 I believe..It may be awhile before
    they get around to naming a commitee..
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
      Mel,
      You are looking at this Super Ferry option through rose colored glasses.
      In other words totally oblivious to the potential impacts this service may
      bring. .....(snipped).... As I'll be living here long after you are dead and gone.
      Just the kind of reaction I'd get from the typical, anti-development, anti-progress user. No biggie. If you and all the obstructionists win, no big deal. You'll get what you want and island residents just lose out on another travel and transport option. If the Superferry sails, well I'll be on a trip to Kawaihae and you can just stay at home. No one is forcing you and the obstructionists to use it.

In the meantime, just in case I die before any of this happens, I will tend to my funeral arrangements and you can come and laugh there or make a silly post here... Mel's dead. That is what you want. Thanks for being so honest in expressing to see my demise.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

aw Mel, no make li'dat!

Comment

through, over, around and without

"Yet these other modes of interisland transportation aren't going to be subject to the same environmental impact statement requirements demanded by the Superferry?"

So just go ahead give them all a free ride like we --that is, of course, not "we" but the East Coast's FAA*...as if that "-- do give joyriding helicopter companies through, over, around and without the clouds of any island for which any captalUSt can work up the money to initiate and maintain operations.

It'll just be a superferry through, over around and without our islands' waters wherever the US Department of War, US Department of Home Security, US Department of Defense, US*Department of Transportation , and, to some decimal extent whoever may be US's Hawaii governor at the time, decide is legal, permitted andor necessary.
          Last edited by waioli kai; April 16, 2006, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            Read that to mean "Maui Democrat legislators".
            "Maui Democrat legislators" is incorrect; that should read "Democratic legislators."

Lately, many Republicans (nationally and locally, but more so locally) have displayed an aversion to the proper adjective form of "Democrat," which is "Democratic." (For Republicans, both adjective and noun forms are the same.) They seem not to want to label their political counterparts as being "democratic," which has another meaning when lowercase, so they avoid using the term "Democratic" as well.

It makes them look and sound childish.

You will notice this anytime you read or hear quotes from local politicians. They make themselves look uneducated and petty when they insist on using bad grammar to try to make a political point.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
              Just the kind of reaction I'd get from the typical, anti-development, anti-progress user. No biggie. If you and all the obstructionists win, no big deal. You'll get what you want and island residents just lose out on another travel and transport option. If the Superferry sails, well I'll be on a trip to Kawaihae and you can just stay at home. No one is forcing you and the obstructionists to use it.

In the meantime, just in case I die before any of this happens, I will tend to my funeral arrangements and you can come and laugh there or make a silly post here... Mel's dead. That is what you want. Thanks for being so honest in expressing to see my demise.
              Mel,
              You are living in a dream land. You don't know who I am or what I stand for.
              If you bothered to read my blog you'd see I'm not who you think I am. That
              being said typical Mel response, you bitch about new taxes..but when taxpayer funds are being used to fun a strictly private venture...Mel is silent ?
              Talk about being a hypocrite to the max.

As for the other comment, you totally misinterpreted what I meant.Just like
              you paint everyone a liberal,environmental wacko,etc just because they don't
              agree with you. All I meant is I'm 30 and you are probably in your 50-60s
              (based upon your ultra conservative views).I'm going to be living here in Hawaii and dealing with your generation's screwups after you are dead and gone.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

All I meant is I'm 30 and you are probably in your 50-60s
                (based upon your ultra conservative views).I'm going to be living here in Hawaii and dealing with your generation's screwups after you are dead and gone.
                Good luck, Aaron. Make sure that in the process of cleaning up the messes your parents and my generation are leaving for you to clean up, that you don't create more messes for YOUR kids and grandkids at the same time! (P.S. As you get older you tend to grow more realistic about how things are supposed to run. Many of us makule guys thought the way you do when we were your age too! We used to say, "never trust anyone over 30"...now we gotta say "never trust anyone over 70!")

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Good luck, Aaron. Make sure that in the process of cleaning up the messes your parents and my generation are leaving for you to clean up, that you don't create more messes for YOUR kids and grandkids at the same time!
                  Don't hold your breath. History has the tendency of repeating itself throughout the generations. One generation screws the next and so on.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    Don't hold your breath. History has the tendency of repeating itself throughout the generations. One generation screws the next and so on.
                    You've noticed that too, eh, Mel?

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=19110

Business, individuals hurt by Superferry intrusion

Young Brothers has announced it will no longer be accepting anything less than full containers due to the Superferry taking over its space (The Maui News, April 15).

This will have no effect on the big box stores, but Maui’s small businesses and individuals will now have to incur the delays and costs of taking their pallets to a “consolidator.” Instead of shipping a pallet for about $35, the price will likely go over $100.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=19110

Business, individuals hurt by Superferry intrusion

Young Brothers has announced it will no longer be accepting anything less than full containers due to the Superferry taking over its space (The Maui News, April 15).

This will have no effect on the big box stores, but Maui’s small businesses and individuals will now have to incur the delays and costs of taking their pallets to a “consolidator.” Instead of shipping a pallet for about $35, the price will likely go over $100.
                        I thought the rest of the Letter was even more thought-provoking...imagine denying HCL the right to dock at Kahului Harbor (therefore depriving the tourists of a port of call, boohoo) in favor of Superferry and Young Bros, who serve the needs of the locals? What a concept!

Miulang

Comment

I thought the rest of the Letter was even more thought-provoking...imagine denying HCL the right to dock at Kahului Harbor (therefore depriving the tourists of a port of call, boohoo) in favor of Superferry and Young Bros, who serve the needs of the locals? What a concept!
                          I would've copied the rest of the letter, but I didn't want to catch the wrath
                          of Mel once again. He already chewed me out once for copying too much from
                          an article.

Back on topic, it is obvious to me and not obvious to Mel that there is infrastructure shortcomings at the neighbor island harbors -even without
                          the HSF. How are we going to address these shortcomings ? I know Mel
                          doesn't like new taxes. But the infrastructure upgrades are not going
                          to be free, it will cost $$$. I mention this and I get labeled a enviro-wacko.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

I would've copied the rest of the letter, but I didn't want to catch the wrath
                            of Mel once again. He already chewed me out once for copying too much from
                            an article.

Back on topic, it is obvious to me and not obvious to Mel that there is infrastructure shortcomings at the neighbor island harbors -even without
                            the HSF. How are we going to address these shortcomings ? I know Mel
                            doesn't like new taxes. But the infrastructure upgrades are not going
                            to be free, it will cost $$$. I mention this and I get labeled a enviro-wacko.
                            That's very true,Aaron, and it's most ironic to me that the FIRST port of call for Superferry will be MAUI, where everyone---from Superferry to the DOT to the Legislature--all agree that ii is the most problemmatical of all the Neighbor Island ports of call. You'd think they'd want their first port of call to be a slam dunk to ensure its success, not the one that's going to create the most problems, both in infrastructure and environmental issues and public scrutiny. I guess that's like eating your broccoli first and then the meatloaf after you've downed the onerous part of the meal.

Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; April 26, 2006, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Based upon what I've physically seen, Kawaihae is going to be challenge
                              infrastructure wise for HSF too. I really can't see them making their 2009
                              target date to service Kawaihae at this point. Simply put the infrastructure
                              up in Kawaihae can just barely handle what its got now. Just imagine
                              when they get both HSF and they wood chipping facility in Hamakua starts
                              up..Kawaihae is going to be a mess.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm glad the Legislature decided it needed to have the DOT and Superferry folks hold 3 public hearings on each of the neighbor islands where the Superferry is planning to dock before it releases the $20 million for port infrastructure upgrades. It provides an incentive for Superferry officials to be more "open" about their plans and gives local residents a chance to voice their opinion on how much disruption it might cause at each of the neighbor island Superferry facilities included in what's already docking there.

"...Because of Superferry’s previous reluctance to hold open public meetings on its proposed operations, the state Senate’s Ways and Means Committee had recommended cutting the appropriation to $10 million. The full amount was approved during conference committee discussions on the budget passed before the session ended Thursday.

However, lawmakers attached a condition that said no money would be released until the Superferry and DOT meet with the public three times on each island where the vessels will dock as well as complete other requirements imposed in the final bill.

The $20 million would go to DOT to complete harbor upgrades, including the installation of barges and ramps needed for the Superferry before its scheduled launch date in July 2007..."

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X