X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlyHawaii Airlines?

Hawaii may get another interisland airline
    Dave Segal, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, March 15, 2005:
    If everything falls into place, then the company, which is headed by Lion Coffee founder James Delano, hopes to begin flying by the end of this year or sometime next year, according to Chris Parsons, vice president of administration for FlyHawaii. Parsons confirmed that the airline will use turboprop aircraft, the ATR-72, for its interisland routes...

"So, if what people are looking for is the lowest possible prices, then in theory a turboprop would be the way of providing that," [Airline analyst Robert] Mann said. "An ATR is a nice machine. It's a good solid airplane. The downside, however, is in the last 10 years or so the marketplace has kind of looked down at the idea of airplanes with propellers. So the marketplace would have to ultimately decide whether it wanted lowest prices or whether it wanted shiny, new jets at higher prices."

Re: FlyHawaii Airlines?

Mahalo Airlines flew the ATR-42 (smaller sibling to the ATR-72) and Fokker F-27 during its short tenure as a discount airline. I wish this new upstart the best. Hawaii residents are in desperate need of low interisland fares.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      Mahalo Airlines flew the ATR-42 (smaller sibling to the ATR-72) and Fokker F-27 during its short tenure as a discount airline. I wish this new upstart the best. Hawaii residents are in desperate need of low interisland fares.
      You won't get any argument out of me over this topic, Mel!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

yep when you look at the long lines at either Hawaiian or Aloha plus the fact that both encountered financial woes recently, I think our local economy can support another inter-island airline AND a super ferry.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You won't get any argument out of me over this topic, Mel!

I wasn't looking for one.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

When you spend as much on an interisland trip as you would spend on airfare to Vegas, you know something's wrong. I hope this or any other "lower tier" interisland airline makes it. I personally fear air travel too much to not want to pay extra to go in a big ol' jet, but for folks on tighter incomes separated from family by the cold waters of the Pacific, a prop-hop for a decent price will be a godsend.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
              I wasn't looking for one.
              Yeah, even "tax and spend" liberals like me think the locals need a break every now and then.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Interesting how the press conference that will have details about this new interisland carrier will be held at the Maui Beach Hotel and not in Honolulu. I wonder why???

Miulang

Comment

More details about FlyHawaii's plans for interisland service. The President of the company expects $50-60 one-way fares.

Miulang

Comment

More info on FlyHawaii's plans for their lowcost carrier. The first flights will be between Honolulu and Maui.

Miulang

Comment

I once worked for Lion and for Jim Delano. I certainly hope this airline is managed better than Lion was.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Jim Delano, the CEO of FlyHawaii (FlyHI---cute), predicts that there will be enough interisland business so that his new airline can coexist with the Superferry and Island Air (even though that line is in financial trouble) to bring economy travel back to the locals.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          I personally fear air travel too much to not want to pay extra to go in a big ol' jet, .
                          Why?

Big planes hit the ground just as hard as the smaller ones when they fall out of the sky.. They are all regulated by the same agency..

Comment

Originally posted by 30,20,10,retard
                            Big planes hit the ground just as hard as the smaller ones when they fall out of the sky.
                            And they usually hit nose first, so it's always safer to sit in the back.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Many plane crashes are initially survivable (impact)... it is the raging fire that erupts afterward that can kill big time.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X