No Rock Stations in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Rock Stations in Hawaii?

So, my wife and I moved here in 2006 from Portland, OR. Portland has a pretty active music scene, esspecially in the late '90s early '00s; predominantly of the heavier variety.

When we first moved here it wasn't such a big deal because we listened mostly to our CDs and such so we didn't listen to the radio a lot until we became acclimated to what was available.

In August of last year, though, we went back to the mainland to visit some family and holy crap were the radio stations there better. Not just in a variety of genres, but in the playlists on said stations. Most notably though was the presence of a hard rock station which filled up the growing holes in our respective souls that we hadn't even noticed until it was pointed out to us.

Coming back home (to Hawaii) we've suddenly realized the dearth of hard rock/metal/anything interesting on the radio. Is there really so small a market for this particular genre on the islands that no one has bothered to get a broadcast station going? Or is there like a secret AM station/college radio or something I'm missing out on?
    Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Re: No Rock Stations in Hawaii??

I know I could supply a station with a full schedule of high quality public domain music out of my own collection that would be wildly successful, presuming there's more than us handful left that still appreciate quality, creativity, and... volume. So why can't somebody with actual $ and abilities?

When the entire A/FM dials are virtually brain free, it makes you wonder how we got so screwed.
    KTUH and NPR are the last vestiges.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: No Rock Stations in Hawaii?

Originally posted by Zovo View Post
      Coming back home (to Hawaii) we've suddenly realized the dearth of hard rock/metal/anything interesting on the radio. Is there really so small a market for this particular genre on the islands that no one has bothered to get a broadcast station going? Or is there like a secret AM station/college radio or something I'm missing out on?
      If there is a secret rock station, I would love to hear about it too. You're right, there are no good rock stations here. It wasn't always that way, though. We used to have a pretty good one.

Comment

No. There aren't. When I moved there in 2008, I was so very, very sad about the lack of station variety. The "rock" stations played Beyonce. I am a rock girl and purposely go out of my way to avoid Beyonce or anyone similar. The most "rock-like" song they played that day was "Hey There Delilah". Your best bet would be to get Sirius...just remember it's on a different frequency or satellite than on the mainland.

Good luck and (try to) rock on.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
          If there is a secret rock station, I would love to hear about it too. You're right, there are no good rock stations here. It wasn't always that way, though. We used to have a pretty good one.

reading the intro thread made me think....... well I do recall (scrolling down)....
          oh YES here it is! Good ol 98 Rock! Whatever happened to that station?
          Though I have been away for over a decade I do know that Hawaii is primarily Local Music & Top 40....... Rock never went away when it got taken over by the grunge sound, just took a back seat to other genres.

Comment

There's still a lot of good rock on KTUH, but as with most college stations, it's horribly inconsistent, which I consider one of its strengths. The last time we had anything resembling a hard rock station was ten years ago, when we had Lava Rock. That later became one of the "island music" stations we have a million of.

You asked about a secret station. I haven't got that for you, but there USED to an excellent heavy metal show on the AM dial, and perhaps there still is: I haven't listened for it for quite some time and I can't find it in the program listing. The thing is, I never saw it on the program listing even when it was on, and I used to listen just about every Friday (and/or Saturday) night. It was on from 9 to 12 in the evening (or perhaps later) on KNDI (1270 AM) and I can't for the life or me remember the name of the show or DJ. But it was good. Mostly death and thrash with some progressive metal thrown in. I remember asking for GWAR one night and Malevolent Creation another, and the guy had my songs on within twenty minutes.

Anyway. This is what radio in Hawaii looks like. I don't think there's any point in complaining, despite my own displeasure with it.

EDIT: I was scanning the bios, and the DJ at the bottom of the page, who does the midnight-to-dawn shift says she used to be the Mistress of Metal. I'm guessing she took the program over from the guy I used to listen to and no longer plays those sounds, but I wonder if she would if you called and requested it. I'm going to try it this weekend!
            Last edited by scrivener; April 28, 2011, 08:00 PM. Reason: "don't drink don't smoke what do you do?"
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Well, then, forums. . . join forces!
              I'll donate my CD collection! End this injustice!
              Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

(In a twangy, southern accent that smacks of ignorance and xenophobia)

"You know, down here in Arkansas, we listen to BOTH kinds of music....

Hawaiian AND Reggae."

It's a joke. Get it?
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  (In a twangy, southern accent that smacks of ignorance and xenophobia)

"You know, down here in Arkansas, we listen to BOTH kinds of music....

Hawaiian AND Reggae."

It's a joke. Get it?
                  Hey mon, as Jawaiian dat.

Comment

Is there a good rock station in any of the 50 states??? Quality rock music is nowhere to be found anymore on radio. Rock is dead to the people running stations (clear channel, cbs, etc...)

Internet Radio, that is where you will find quality rock stations from around the world. Got a smart phone with unlimited data or WiFi? Get the TuneIn Radio app or WunderRadio and listen to 40k radio stations from around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                      oh YES here it is! Good ol 98 Rock! Whatever happened to that station?
                      Though I have been away for over a decade I do know that Hawaii is primarily Local Music & Top 40....... Rock never went away when it got taken over by the grunge sound, just took a back seat to other genres.

Ummm...98 Rock is now Island Rhythm 97.9 I guess the best Native music Hawaii has to offer?

You want decent rock and roll stream this station DC in the morning plays some pretty good classic rock stuff. It's in Hilo and it is a live show from 6-10am monday thru friday.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Ummm...98 Rock is now Island Rhythm 97.9 I guess the best Native music Hawaii has to offer?

You want decent rock and roll stream this station DC in the morning plays some pretty good classic rock stuff. It's in Hilo and it is a live show from 6-10am monday thru friday.
                        98 Rock's former frequency was 97.5.

Comment

Re: No Rock Stations in Hawaii??

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          I know I could supply a station with a full schedule of high quality public domain music out of my own collection..
                          I appreciate the outlaw, revolutionary sentiment but we still have a long time after our lifetime to wait for any of our high quality rock and roll to become public domain.
                          U Can't Go Back, But U Can Do It Again
                          It's ShowTime
                          tRRo'

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
                            98 Rock's former frequency was 97.5.
                            Mahalo. Musta been thinking of 93.9. Damned those decimals!
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              KPOI-FM (98 Rock's FCC call-letters) presently carries on at 105.9 with a classic rock format.

98 Rock came to an end in the mid-1990s, at a time when the hard rock music landscape was changing. Alternative/grunge fans began splintering off from a heavy metal scene that was becoming stagnant. Nationally, this was a time when the Z-Rock radio network and MTV's Headbangers Ball also met its demise.

The Honolulu market has never really been hospitable to the modern rock genre, unfortunately. Whatever FM stations on the dial that aren't playing Island/Reggae is a rag-tag collection of Top 40, hip-hop, R&B, adult contemporary and classic rock offerings.

As someone else in this thread has already said,... if you want real musical variety, you need to turn to the internet. My favorite is http://www.live365.com/ with thousands of stations. And yes, Live365 has apps for the Android, iPhone, and Blackberry, if you want to listen to your favorite music on the go.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X