Maui Dream Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maui Dream Day

I haven't been to Maui in nearly 10 years! There's so much to do there, the road to Hana, sunrise on the volcano. I'd like to make it over this year. Any thoughts on "out of the ordinary extraordinary?" An unknown refuge that "you just gotta see!" Etc...
    NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Re: Maui Dream Day

Most of the way down the "Road to Hana", is Waianapanapa State Park @ Pailoa Bay.
    It's an incredible black sand beach/cove. There's a blow hole, beach cave, tiny islets, and great swimming!
    I went in early December.(last month!)

Here's a link and definitely check out the photo gallery.
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...6-967a2d7b3613
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Awesome. Thanks!!!!
      NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

If you go to Hana don't do the Haleakala drive. Spend one day for each venture.

If you're going to the summit of Haleakala to see the sunrise, go SUPER early and hope you don't get caught behind those vans carrying the bikers and their bikes, you'll never make it in time.

How's the weather in East Maui? The first time I went to Hana a major flash flood along the road had passed by the day before. As I drove to Hana over washed out roads I wondered, "Wow these are some pretty bad roads, no wonder the t-shirts say, "I survived the road to Hana". As I found out later the roads weren't supposed to be that bad. Hmmm we got roads that look like washed out river beds right here on the Big Island and that's pretty much par for the course.

And finally over the past 10 years traffic has gotten significantly worse and your fond recollections may be in for a rude awakening. When I decided to move away from Honolulu four years ago, I thought of Maui...cuz you know da saying: Maui No Ka Oi right? Not anymore Maui is pretty expensive and crowded already...not like them good old days.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the bit of info. Yeah, I've heard that the road is even paved to the Seven Sacred Pools now. That used to be forbidden territory for the rental cars even though no one listened.

I've never experienced sunrise on the summit of Haleakala. I'll have to wake up for that one this go round.

Thanks, Craig. You're not the Craig W. from Bel Aire are you?
          NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

Originally posted by nkth View Post
            Wow, thanks for the bit of info. Yeah, I've heard that the road is even paved to the Seven Sacred Pools now. That used to be forbidden territory for the rental cars even though no one listened.

I've never experienced sunrise on the summit of Haleakala. I'll have to wake up for that one this go round.

Thanks, Craig. You're not the Craig W. from Bel Aire are you?
            No but I know of a few in California.

Anyway when going up to Haleakala, when I mean super early I mean SUPER EARLY, like start at the base as early as 4am if not earlier. Once I went up and I had to follow a stupid van loaded with people and hauling that trailer of bikes. The line of cars was excruciatingly long with cars one by one passing the van/trailer whenever road conditions allowed for it (very limited passing areas). My car started overheating because we were going up too slow, braking on the way UP!

I was so friggin upset when we finally pulled into the parking lot at the summit only to miss the sunrise breaking thru the clouds. You go there just to see that moment, like the green flash. Once you miss it you gotta wait for another day to see it again and it's something you just don't want to miss.

Then the trip down was even more frustrating as we had to follow the line of slow moving bikes. Talk about overheated brakes! They really need to ban those bicycling adventures down Haleakala.

Oh by the way bring a nice thick jacket or sweater and a mug of coffee cuz it's freezing up there and the air is very thin at 10,000 ft. If you're a smoker you'll feel it. Drink plenty of water before making the ascent.

The trip to Hana isn't as hard on the vehicle as the round trip to Haleakala but be aware of the one lane bridges and slow moving tourist mobiles all the way in.

I dunno but when I went to Hana, I said to myself, "this is it?" I drove four hours for this? And I have to drive the same way all the way back?

If you're staying in Kaanapali leave for either trip around 3:30am if you want to get there on time. But for each of those venues, plan an entire day for them. Not too bad for Haleakala as your return will take you right into Kahului and the rest of the afternoon to do whatever.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Another direction is heading north from Kahalui.
              Beautiful scenery... mountains, shoreline and ocean views.
              Fun road also. We saw a spectacular blow hole that goes as tall as a building!
              Again, check out the photo gallery from the page of this link...
              http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...0-072c5afb78aa

Comment

If it was me I'd drive to Hailiimaile General Store and have a fabulous lunch.
                Then I'd drive up to the Alli Kula Lavender Farm and wander the grounds and acres of the many different varieties of lavender. Then I'd have a snack in their little cafe and take in the incredible view of the ocean, farms, protea
                fields and smell the gorgeous air. And yes, you should take a jacket or sweater! Really a relaxing way to spend a day!

Comment

Link to Hali'imaile General Store...
                  http://bevgannonrestaurants.com/haliimaile/

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    Link to Hali'imaile General Store...
                    http://bevgannonrestaurants.com/haliimaile/
                    Thanks! I am not technical enough to know how to do that! The lavender
                    farm has a nice website too.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                      Thanks! I am not technical enough to know how to do that! The lavender
                      farm has a nice website too.
                      I sent you a private message with instructions.
                      Hope I did it clearly for you. Give it a try.

Comment

www.aliikulalavender.com

testing......testing...........::

Comment

Thank you to all! This is exciting. I remember the General Store. But I've never heard about the lavender farm. Must smell out of this world! I definitely need to check that out.

Thank you to all for all the exciting insights.

Craig wrote: I dunno but when I went to Hana, I said to myself, "this is it?" I drove four hours for this? And I have to drive the same way all the way back?

I remember thinking the same thing when I went to Hana the first time. At least we had a convertible so I didnt' get carsick.

Yeah Craig. Was wondering if you were the Craig Watanabe that I went to UCLA with. Guess there are a few of you around
                          NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

Sunrise on Haleakala is NOT to be missed, personally, one of the BEST things I have done.

i want to spend more time on Kauai, but I loved how open Maui was.

I would LOVE to sit on the cliffs and watch Jaws(Pe'ahi) going off!
                            flickr

An email from God:
                            To: People of Earth
                            Date: 9/04/2007
                            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                            God

Comment

I can't believe that I passed on sunrise last time I was there! I was with a friend who made "Club" with Oracle, and they PAID for an activity a day. Instead of taking them up on those activities, I spent my days lounging on the beach and kayaking. I must say that the kayaking was great. Right up there next to sea turtles and all.

Will definitely wake up for the experience.
                              NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

Working...
                              X