Something hinky going on with Delta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something hinky going on with Delta

OK, so in yesterday's Business Briefs in the Advertiser, there's this announcement from Delta that they plan to increase flights to Hawai'i bringing the number up to 11 when the 2 new daily nonstops are added to the schedule:

"...Debt-plagued Delta Air Lines Inc. announced today that it will add flights to Hawai'i in a move to increase profits.

Delta plans to add its first nonstop service between Atlanta and Maui starting Dec. 16, and one-stop service from Atlanta to Kailua-Kona via Salt Lake City, starting Dec. 1. The two additional flights bring to 11 the number of daily trips between Hawai'i and the mainland, Delta said. .

The nation's third-largest airline also said it will slash a quarter of its flights at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, a move that could cost up to 1,000 jobs...."

Then, today, there's a news story that says Delta is cutting some 1,000 jobs, and reducing its flights by 25% at its second busiest hub in the midwest. I guess Delta is banking on competing against all the other carriers who already fly the Hawai'i market. They might do OK, because most of their base is on the East Coast. And with the 2 daily nonstops they plan out of Atlanta to Maui and Kona, that also means traffic through HNL will also suffer. Of course, with the way the price of fuel is going, nobody is going to be able to afford to get on those planes to fly to Hawai'i.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Something hinky going on with Delta

Doesn't sound hinky at all. Seems like Delta is trying to increase its profits... makes sense.

Comment

Re: Something hinky going on with Delta

Originally posted by Miulang
      OK, so in yesterday's Business Briefs in the Advertiser, there's this announcement from Delta that they plan to increase flights to Hawai'i bringing the number up to 11 when the 2 new daily nonstops are added to the schedule:

"...Debt-plagued Delta Air Lines Inc. announced today that it will add flights to Hawai'i in a move to increase profits.

Delta plans to add its first nonstop service between Atlanta and Maui starting Dec. 16, and one-stop service from Atlanta to Kailua-Kona via Salt Lake City, starting Dec. 1. The two additional flights bring to 11 the number of daily trips between Hawai'i and the mainland, Delta said. .

The nation's third-largest airline also said it will slash a quarter of its flights at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, a move that could cost up to 1,000 jobs...."

Then, today, there's a news story that says Delta is cutting some 1,000 jobs, and reducing its flights by 25% at its second busiest hub in the midwest. I guess Delta is banking on competing against all the other carriers who already fly the Hawai'i market. They might do OK, because most of their base is on the East Coast. And with the 2 daily nonstops they plan out of Atlanta to Maui and Kona, that also means traffic through HNL will also suffer. Of course, with the way the price of fuel is going, nobody is going to be able to afford to get on those planes to fly to Hawai'i.

Miulang
      Hawaii's yields are still higher than the rest of the USA. And our two incumbent carriers are still percieved as "weak" by the rest of the industry.
      GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Working...
      X