Problems shopping at Safeway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problems shopping at Safeway

Amati, I think you have missed the point here. There are many people who just don't like to have their name announced to the public. We have a night security guard where I work who always yells out to me when I leave the building, "Good Nite, (insert name here)". While I appreciate the good thoughts, I would rather remain a bit more private. Same at the grocery store. I don't think that's being spoiled at all.

There are also many who get offended when offered assistance because they are very independent and know they can do things for themselves. However, the cashiers don't know that. The store is trying to be polite & helpful. It's kind of like being offered a senior's discount when you aren't a senior yet. I used to want to say "yes, I'm having a bad hair day but do I really look that bad?" but then I learned to just laugh about it. or when someone holds a door open for me - I could snap at them that "I can open it myself" or just smile & say thank you. It's a personal choice.

I've reached an age & state of physical "challenges" that I appreciate all the help I can get - but quietly.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I think what irks me is that all the niceties at Safeway doesn't feel sincere. When I go to Ah Fooks (which is a small market on Maui), they are genuinely happy to see me, and glad to help. Whereas the Safeway friendliness feels forced or programmed. As for asking me if I want help out... once is OK, but not four times. But again, I don't blame the workers, and I am always polite to them. It's not a big deal, just a minor annoyance.

And no, I don't want my name called out for all strangers to hear. It's not only for my privacy. It's for safety. I've heard of cases where women are called by name in parking lots, and become a victim of some kind of crime, like a scam or robbery. I'm pretty sure I can handle myself in most situations, but I wouldn't want my mother, who is in her 80s, to have to deal with that.
      Last edited by Sharilyn; August 20, 2009, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I agree totally about the lack of sincerity, but feel it's the fault of management not the clerks themselves. As someone said before - they could get written up if they don't follow company policy. No body wants to lose a job they need because they didn't follow policy & some other pissy employee or a supervisor with nothing better to do writes them up.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

According to Safeway corp office, it's an easy fix. Cashiers say the name of customers who are regular shoppers (that is, those who present a "Safeway Card") to be courteous. A Safeway Card member's name appears on their receipt, and the cashier uses that as the source of the name. Those without a Safeway Card do not receive the personalized "thank you Mr. xxx". If you don't like having your name said aloud, you can have your name removed from showing on the receipts (while still retaining your Safeway Card account). Just let them know. 1-877-723-3929
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Thank you for the info, Amati.

Comment

Hey, thanks Amati - that's very helpful!
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                According to Safeway corp office, it's an easy fix. Cashiers say the name of customers who are regular shoppers (that is, those who present a "Safeway Card") to be courteous. A Safeway Card member's name appears on their receipt, and the cashier uses that as the source of the name. Those without a Safeway Card do not receive the personalized "thank you Mr. xxx". If you don't like having your name said aloud, you can have your name removed from showing on the receipts (while still retaining your Safeway Card account). Just let them know. 1-877-723-3929
                This is an option you can take if you do not want your name to appear when using your Safeway club card, but keep in mind if you are paying by debit/credit card your name that is associated with your debit/credit card will appear on the receipt. No way around that one except paying by cash.

On each checkstand there are comment cards that you can fill out and send in commenting on operations, shopping experience, and any other comments you may have.
                Last edited by Altivec; August 20, 2009, 08:09 PM. Reason: adding comment
                Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                  Ditto. I hate it when they say, "Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. ---". I don't need everyone behind me to know my name.
                  Do they still say a customer's name out loud if he's buying condoms or ointment that needs to be applied over an infected area?

Comment

I like Safeway.

Comment

I'm greeted by my first name when I approach Safeway's pharmacy window! That's not exactly the notoriety I choose to have! At least the next customer in line has to stand behind the black line per HIPAA rules!

I usually shop at the smallest, most run down Safeway, on Beretania. I really have no issues with the employees or the policies except as noted about the donation request overkill. And, yes, I'm always asked if I need help to my car and I always give the same answer...send a bagger home with me to get my groceries from the 5th floor to the 19th floor. I'm sure they're just as tired of my answer as I am of their question. Still, the employees are just following instructions. Too many bigger problems in the world to be concerned about.

Calling me by name in a grocery line doesn't come close to infringing on my personal "space" as does showing up at Kapiolani Women's Center and having the ultrasound tech be someone who's been thru my office on auditions!!! Fortunately that was more unnerving for her than it was for me!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Calling me by name in a grocery line doesn't come close to infringing on my personal "space" as does showing up at Kapiolani Women's Center and having the ultrasound tech be someone who's been thru my office on auditions!!! Fortunately that was more unnerving for her than it was for me!
                        She was just afraid co-workers or bosses were going to hear about her auditions...
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                          She was just afraid co-workers or bosses were going to hear about her auditions...
                          Possibly, but it would've been inappropriate of me to bring up the subject to anyone but that tech. What goes on in my office stays in my office. I hope the same is true of medical centers!

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...=rss_localnews

Don't put dirty meat in your mouth!
                            http://www.kitv.com/news/24545794/detail.html

It's deja-vu all over again.

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43687085/?GT1=43001

Will the Safeway on Kapahulu still keep this service?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                                http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43687085/?GT1=43001

Will the Safeway on Kapahulu still keep this service?
                                Kapahulu Safeway has no plans to remove the self checkout lanes, infact the company was thinking about adding two additional units.

You will also see the self checkout units at the New Beretania and Ewa stores when they open in January 2012 and November 2012.
                                Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                X