Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Star-Bulletin on the Web

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
    Good God people..... [...] Read the Tizer and pull up moms.com and metro mix and have a nice life.
    And so if all the people complaining take your advice and go away, where does that leave the SB? Are their complaints posted here really hurting the SB? And as pointed out, the people complaining are doing so because they care. Public apathy will be the thing that kills it.

Comment

Ian Lind had this comment on his blog today:

I tried to read Richard Borreca’s story this morning on the latest Council on Revenues projection. After having to find the “close ad” spot to click in order to remove the annoying pop-up that covered the story, and then having to repeat the process when the ad quickly reappeared, I then found that the story wouldn’t load and was left looking at a mostly blank space where the story should have been.
      (...)
      But back to the Star-Bullettin’s online ads. It’s a shame. There’s a delicate balance between trying to generate revenues and driving readers away. Starbulletin.com now increasingly ends up on the wrong side of that line.
      I’m not too keen on sites that make heavy use of cookies to track the online behavior and interests of visitors. But I wouldn’t object to a system that was able to target my visits with ads for products I’m actually interested in. I’m sure that I’m not the only one who enjoys catalogs from my favorite retailers, whether computers, cameras, or other stuff.
      So I’m not demanding an advertising-free zone. But the current approach definitely needs tweaking.

And so it goes on this feline Friday.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I installed AdBlock Plus in FireFox and it killed off the pop-ups. In fact, it kills off all the ads. Not a good thing for advertisers but that's not my fault!

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
          I installed AdBlock Plus in FireFox and it killed off the pop-ups. In fact, it kills off all the ads. Not a good thing for advertisers but that's not my fault!
          Great! I guess that means you're willing to pay for content directly.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            You're not getting it.

People don't mind having ads on a website. Lots of them do. And it's OK.

What people don't like is having ads shoved into their faces when they're trying to read a story. They don't want to have to jump from one page to another after a few paragraphs. See today's Police/Fire column: http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...ice__Fire.html

Absolutely no one has complained about ads on the SB site. What they're objecting to is the intrusive pop-ups that are sometimes difficult to clear out of the way, or how these things send them off to somewhere they have no intention of going.

If the Star-Bulletin webmasters don't understand that, and if their managers won't command a solution, then perhaps there is no hope for the Star-Bulletin after all. The internet is what can save the Bulletin. It will never regain its strength as a print medium. Haven't you noticed what has been happening nationwide in the last several years? Extrapolate that 10 years and figure it out!

The Star-Bulletin has been losing readership steadily since 1980. From more than 100,000 to 60,000 or maybe less. Despite leaving the JOA it kept its afternoon delivery business model and failed to pursue a larger potential market in AM deliveries. Circulation numbers aren't getting any better. And with the newspaper-reading generation gradually diminishing, where are the new readers going to be found?

The internet.

Yet, the Bulletin wants to leave devices and practices in place that will turn readers away. Where's the sense in that?!

It's very simple: to treat readers poorly is just plain stupid. If you turn it into an annoying experience and make it inconvenient, people will go elsewhere. Take a look at the comments in Ian's blog. There are a few complaints there, too. And I'll bet good money that the Bulletin's webmasters and others have gotten a pile of complaints via email. Doesn't that make anyone there consider that it might be a good idea to knock it off?

The Bulletin, with a weakening financial position and having to lay off a significant part of its talented staff, can't afford to be arrogant and heedless of its readers.

We're trying to help you guys here. If no one cared, we'd leave you out floating with the sharks.

And let this thought get through your thick skull: I used a pop-up blocker so I could read the Star-Bulletin.

I could have gone to another website where I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of installing such software but I chose to stick to the Bulletin and NOT go to the Advertiser.

Get it?

You have a reader who WANTS to read YOUR paper. But this reader DOES NOT want to be annoyed by those stupid pop-ups.

And now you want to charge me to read the paper? Are you beginning to comprehend how dumb that sounds?

Get into the game. Do what it takes to win. Don't resort to throwing stuff at your fans!

Comment

I've stated many times that I am more than willing to pay if it gets rid of the pop ups.
              I already pay for PBN and $21.95 for the Advertisers' 10-article pack. I don't think I'm in the minority either.

Comment

I'm going to have to see if that ad blocking software works with the Mac version of Firefox.

As echoed earlier, I don't mind the regular sidebar ads and Google ads. I just hate the pop ups and also pop unders (this is done by the Advertiser). Pop ups are more offensive because as often said, they cover up the content you want to read. Ads are secondary... I'll click on a sidebar ad if it interests me... like $27 airfares from GO.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

One of the pleasures of print newspapers is that you can absorb the content at your own pace and discretion. Only want to look at the news? Ignore the ads. Only want to see the ads? Ignore the news.

And, as a bonus, you can do both at the same time.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Just don't care about holding a paper in my hands, and having them pile up around the house anymore.
                    I find the electronic versions of all papers to be much more convenient and easier to find the content I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                      Just don't care about holding a paper in my hands, and having them pile up around the house anymore.
                      I find the electronic versions of all papers to be much more convenient and easier to find the content I want.
                      It's also more environmentally friendly. Minimizing garbage is always a good thing. There will always be plenty of junk mail to double as bird cage liner and puppy house-breaking wee wee pads.

Comment

One of the pleasures of print newspapers is that you can absorb the content at your own pace and discretion. Only want to look at the news? Ignore the ads. Only want to see the ads? Ignore the news.
                        But imagine what it would be like if the paperboy kept shoving flyers in front of your face everytime you looked at a different article.

That's a pop-up ad.

Hard-copy delivery is dying. It's already starting in the Mainland with a few major newspapers switching to internet-only delivery.

Comment

*scowls*

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                            A rather gloomy story in the NYT guesstimating which major American city will be the first to have no daily newspaper.
                            AP ran this story speculating on whether it will be Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                              You're not getting it.

People don't mind having ads on a website. Lots of them do. And it's OK.

What people don't like is having ads shoved into their faces when they're trying to read a story. They don't want to have to jump from one page to another after a few paragraphs. See today's Police/Fire column: http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...ice__Fire.html

Absolutely no one has complained about ads on the SB site. What they're objecting to is the intrusive pop-ups that are sometimes difficult to clear out of the way, or how these things send them off to somewhere they have no intention of going.

If the Star-Bulletin webmasters don't understand that, and if their managers won't command a solution, then perhaps there is no hope for the Star-Bulletin after all. The internet is what can save the Bulletin. It will never regain its strength as a print medium. Haven't you noticed what has been happening nationwide in the last several years? Extrapolate that 10 years and figure it out!

The Star-Bulletin has been losing readership steadily since 1980. From more than 100,000 to 60,000 or maybe less. Despite leaving the JOA it kept its afternoon delivery business model and failed to pursue a larger potential market in AM deliveries. Circulation numbers aren't getting any better. And with the newspaper-reading generation gradually diminishing, where are the new readers going to be found?

The internet.

Yet, the Bulletin wants to leave devices and practices in place that will turn readers away. Where's the sense in that?!

It's very simple: to treat readers poorly is just plain stupid. If you turn it into an annoying experience and make it inconvenient, people will go elsewhere. Take a look at the comments in Ian's blog. There are a few complaints there, too. And I'll bet good money that the Bulletin's webmasters and others have gotten a pile of complaints via email. Doesn't that make anyone there consider that it might be a good idea to knock it off?

The Bulletin, with a weakening financial position and having to lay off a significant part of its talented staff, can't afford to be arrogant and heedless of its readers.

We're trying to help you guys here. If no one cared, we'd leave you out floating with the sharks.

And let this thought get through your thick skull: I used a pop-up blocker so I could read the Star-Bulletin.

I could have gone to another website where I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of installing such software but I chose to stick to the Bulletin and NOT go to the Advertiser.

Get it?

You have a reader who WANTS to read YOUR paper. But this reader DOES NOT want to be annoyed by those stupid pop-ups.

And now you want to charge me to read the paper? Are you beginning to comprehend how dumb that sounds?

Get into the game. Do what it takes to win. Don't resort to throwing stuff at your fans!
                              The expired horse just keeps on getting beat....now that everyone has had a chance to weigh in on this subject, about 20 different ways..IS THERE ANY WAY ANOTHER SUBJECT CAN BE DISCUSSED?? I have been impressed by the number of different ways the same thing keeps being said....over and over...and over.

Comment

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
                                The expired horse just keeps on getting beat....now that everyone has had a chance to weigh in on this subject, about 20 different ways..IS THERE ANY WAY ANOTHER SUBJECT CAN BE DISCUSSED?? I have been impressed by the number of different ways the same thing keeps being said....over and over...and over.
                                You can always start a new thread if you're tired of this one.
                                Otherwise, we'll keep beating this dead horse until we tire of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X