Checkers and Pogo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Checkers and Pogo

I remember some of the cartoons Checkers & Pogo used to show that will probably never make it to reruns on Cartoon Network. Luno the Magic Horse, Hercules the Rabbit and his Guided Muscle, Tom of T.H.U.M.B., Milton the Monster, and Fearless Fly. Fearless Fly had these villains, the evil Doctor Goo Fee and his buck-toothed assistant Gung Ho. Try showing something that racially stereotyped on TV today!

Comment

Professor as in Professor Fun. He would come in once a week to make balloon animals, maybe a magic trick. He might have filled in for either Checkers or Pogo at a time. Then in the early 1980's he would do a TV spot called TV Pow or something like that (I can't remember if another thread here in Hawaiithreads or HawaiiStories discusses about Professor Fun).

And then you have the other supporting cast of characters like the arch nemesis Super Spy McPig or the station owner's nephew Sonny Heftel who came across as the pain in the rear end to Checkers and Pogo. I also remember a bunch of other characters that had the last name of McPig but they wasn't as frequent as Super Spy.

For the cartoons, the usual mix of Popeye and Warner Bros cartoons. They also had Captain Scarlet and Thunderbirds puppet series. I remember a cartoon series called Priceness Knight and Giantor.

Some years they had a running storyline for the show in between the cartoons and games for the kids.

Comment

Great list of cartoons I can name a couple more... I wanna see if anyone comes up with them. I recently watched Speed Racer (I think it was on the Speed Channel or maybe Cartoon Network) and Thunderbirds (original not the recent movie) on SciFi Channel. I remember Professor Fun and Super Spy too... "Springtime for SuperSpy and Pigstyvaniaaaaaaaaah!" lol Also Merry Unbirthday and On the Go...thanks for the memory jog.

They gotta have this series archived huh? They should show reruns.

Here's another trivia question: What was the brand of the orange juice that C&P always plugged? BONUS: Sing first line of the jingle.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
          I'm shocked that some people dont have those vhs or beta tapes sitting in an attic or something. I'd buy the tapes from anyone if they are offering or borrow them if I could.

Mahalo!!!

KalihiBoy
          Would this be of any interest to you or is this a tape that nearly everyone interested in the show probably has a copy of?

Checkers and Pogo tape

Comment

Here's another trivia question: What was the brand of the orange juice that C&P always plugged? BONUS: Sing first line of the jingle:

The Exchange orangade commercial sung by the Termites!!!!

The Exchange goes round round round in you ummm la de da...
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Checkers & Pogo absolutely rocked. I was always bummed as a kid growing up on Maui since I had no hope whatsoever of ever being on the show. Although my sisters (who grew up in Kailua) got to be on. I recall once visiting my grandparents in Honolulu when I was like, five or six, and riding TheBus to Ala Moana (which in and of itself was a wild experience for a kid from Maui) and looking out the window and seeing Checkers drive by in the Checkermobile. I recall it vividly to this day. And they were black and white checkers. I too, would kill to have that car. Maybe it's in the Smithsonian?

Did they also show Beanie and Cecil, Super Chicken, and Deputy Dawg?

I always felt the Saturday morning edition was a bit wistful, Pogo, usually solo, in a constantly repeated battle with various beach equipment and plastic TeeVees that never worked (or is that just generally what happened in all episodes?).

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                Here's another trivia question: What was the brand of the orange juice that C&P always plugged? BONUS: Sing first line of the jingle:

The Exchange orangade commercial sung by the Termites!!!!

The Exchange goes round round round in you ummm la de da...
                ...and the virtual Hostess Brownie goes to Craig and also, for naming the singing group (which I didn't even know), he gets a $2 gift certificate redeemable at any Wigwam store!

re: cartoons ... Beanie and Cecil and Super Chicken were the ones I was thinking of too .

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                  Would this be of any interest to you or is this a tape that nearly everyone interested in the show probably has a copy of?

Checkers and Pogo tape
                  I saw that reran on KGMB a few times, for whatever reason perhaps to conserve space or tape KGMB didnt save hardly any of the shows, I think I was told they might only have a couple complete shows and fragments of some other shows that is it for a show that ran for 15 years on a daily basis right? Its a shame.

That is why I was hoping SOMEONE out there would have tapes of the show lying around in the attic or something, but so far I've been looking for almost 10 years without any luck.

I've also been on the lookout for beta and vhs tapes from the 1970's and early 80's looking for ANYTHING taped off of local tv it could include network tv shows, only catch is that the local ads remain intact. If ANYONE has stuff like that please let me know. I already have some stuff with Bob Sevey, some shows taped off of KITV circa 1982-1985, but looking for alot more stuff.

Thanks! KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne

re: cartoons ... Beanie and Cecil and Super Chicken were the ones I was thinking of too .
                    And your obedient serpent is: a Bob Clampett cartoo-oooooooooooon!

Also can't forget Tom Slick ! Rented a Super Chicken/Tom Slick combo tape from Blockbuster a few years ago, but couldn't find on amazon.com

Comment

You should look for George of Jungle. Super Chicken and Tom Slick were part of that cartoon series.

Comment

I just noticed a Geico commerical using Speed Racer.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                          I just noticed a Geico commerical using Speed Racer.
                          I've seen this commercial several times too!

I loved Speed Racer and Tracy! But I don't get the kid and the monkey! Oh, and I though his older brother Ray was mysterious! I could never figure out why he only made several appearances and all the mystery about him.

One thing I used to wish for was that I celebrated my birthday on the Checkers & Pogo show! I wanted so bad to be the kid to pick the handful of pennies out of the penny jar and have Pogo show me how to do it again and again! hehehehehe!

The Exchange goes down, down, down and around, 'round, 'round, in your tum, tum, tum
                          Makes your mind think yum, yum, yum
                          ....that's all I can remember!
                          Lovena

Comment

That was his younger brother Sprytle and pet Chimchim. Also for the comic refielf and a random element to save the day.

Comment

Although not part of the C&P show, KGMB also showed Jonny Quest, and one of my favorites, "The Mighty Heroes", with Strong Man, Tornado Man, Rope Man, Diaper Man, and Cuckoo Man.

Can't forget Spider Man and the Banana Splits.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                                ...and the virtual Hostess Brownie goes to Craig and also, for naming the singing group (which I didn't even know), he gets a $2 gift certificate redeemable at any Wigwam store!

Oh man Wigwam! Your dollar buys more at the Wigwam store...Wigwam! Dat da da da da...(now known as the McCully Longs Drugs)
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X