Juicing a Lilikoi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juicing a Lilikoi

Anyone have advice for the best way to get juice out of a bunch of lilikoi? Someone told me a quick blanching is good, but beyond that, I got nothing.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Juicing a Lilikoi

I have a big strainer that fits over a bowl. I scoop all the lilikoi guts into the strainer and mash it round til it looks like I got as much juice out of it as I can. I haven't tried blanching it. I wonder if that's like the suggestion to microwave lemons and limes a bit before juicing to get more juice out of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
      I wonder if that's like the suggestion to microwave lemons and limes a bit before juicing to get more juice out of them?
      Lilikoi, lemons, or limes, I can only imagine the unholy mess that would make of a microwave.

But it might be a great YouTube video experiment...
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Blanching would just loosen the outer skin, and make it easier to remove...like when peeling tomatoes.

Just nuking a lemon or lime for a few seconds does help, a LOT, in juicing. maybe a food mill would do the trick, or a china cap with a muddling bat...
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
          I have a big strainer that fits over a bowl. I scoop all the lilikoi guts into the strainer and mash it round til it looks like I got as much juice out of it as I can. I haven't tried blanching it. I wonder if that's like the suggestion to microwave lemons and limes a bit before juicing to get more juice out of them?
          Maybe try straining through cheesecloth for a couple hours although that
          would be tedious. It's how you make tomato water.

I've never considered microwave as a way to soften citrus. I just roll them
          around on the counter with some pressure from my palm for a bit and
          that does the trick.

I do microwave the leftover shells from lemons and use the juice to clean
          the micro and other items as well as the water in the container to clean
          the interior of the unit itself. Smells good and works!

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
            Just nuking a lemon or lime for a few seconds does help, a LOT, in juicing.
            Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
            I just roll them around on the counter with some pressure from my palm for a bit and
            that does the trick.
            Do both, for a noticeable difference in how much juice you can get from citrus fruits. Microwave on high for about 15 seconds, then roll them just before cutting - much more juice will be obtained.

Comment

Thanks I'll try that we use lots of lemon and lime juice
              here at our house!

You know what helps with the juice and gives it a magnificent flavor because the sugars
              caramelize? Grilling lemons, limes, oranges, tangerines really spectacular. Actually we
              grill all sorts of fruits.
              Last edited by leashlaws; August 28, 2008, 10:44 AM. Reason: add thought

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                Thanks You know what helps with the juice and gives it a magnificent flavor because the sugars caramelize? Grilling lemons, limes, oranges, tangerines really spectacular. Actually we grill all sorts of fruits.
                Grilled Meyer Lemon (which is a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange) works great with many fishies. I had some recently with European sea bass (branzino) that had been baked in a salt crust, along with olive oil, oregano and garlic.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I juiced eight lilikois and planned to make ice cream. I left my strainer (with the pulp and seeds) over a bowl overnight and then all the next day. Don't know if that caught extra drops or not, but when I got home, the aroma was too good to waste on ice cream. I tossed in some ice water and sugar and chugged that stuff.

I usually don't even like passion fruit juice, but this was DELICIOUS. Oh, man. I gotta get me some more. My source says she's got more than she knows what to do with, so maybe I'll get lucky.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

We recently discovered we have lilikoi growing up one of our trees. We've been juicing them every week, and freezing in 1/2 cup portions. I heard that if you heat the pulp a little (in a microwave or over the stove), it will extract more juice.

So far, I've made Lilikoi Lime Squares, Mango Lilikoi Pie, syrup, marmalade. This weekend, I'm going to convert a lemon bar recipe using lilikoi, make Hurricane (a drink with rum), and a chiffon pie.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks! I'd make ice cream, but I don't have an ice cream machine.

Comment

I've been growing lilikoi in my aquaponics system and found this website while looking for something to do with them.
                      http://artfulhawaiigirl.blogspot.com...koi-jelly.html
                      She cuts it in half and boils it, then strains. It seems to be easier. Ive tried using a strainer. Ive tried a juicer but the seeds just shoot everwhere.

and you didnt ask, but heres a recipe for lilikoi butter:
                      http://aquaponicsinparadise.com/APfo...hp?topic=885.0
                      or rather, links to recipes....
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Thanks, Hellbent!

Comment

Working...
                        X