tunein.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tunein.com

I am more of a novice on the internets than a lot of people so if you have already heard of tunein.com please forgive me. I discovered it just last night, a site that lets you listen to it must be hundreds of radio stations from around the world. Hip rock from Moscow, classical from Berlin, its really amazing. Right now I have a Maui station on, digging it. So...if you know of any other services like tunein please share, thanks.

Re: tunein.com

Very cool, k, thanx! I wonder too if there are more like this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Hmmmm. I wonder how that works with music royalties and all.

Comment

with Pandora, I get 40 hrs free every month. after that I get charged .99 for the rest of the month. They also have a membership plan. I would think that this is how they pay royalties. I'm sure most "legal" music providers use a method similar to this.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          Hmmmm. I wonder how that works with music royalties and all.
          It appears that most of the tunein.com channels are terrestrial radio broadcasts from around the world. So I would assume they are all licensed in their respective countries, as far as music royalties are concerned. If they weren't, then you can be sure that the likes of ASCAP, BMI and SoundExchange would be taking actions to shut that site down.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          with Pandora, I get 40 hrs free every month. after that I get charged .99 for the rest of the month. They also have a membership plan. I would think that this is how they pay royalties. I'm sure most "legal" music providers use a method similar to this.
          Really? Well, if I'm permitted to shamelessly plug myself,...

It costs absolutely nothing to listen to my internet radio stations, both of which are fully licensed and listed on both the Live365 and iTunes radio directories.

Sock Hop Oldies

Symphonic Masters

Whether you listen to 40 hours or 400 hours to either station, there's no charge. But for a small fee, one can subscribe to commercial-free broadcasts of my stations, as well as the thousands of other Live365 channels.
          Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 27, 2011, 12:04 AM.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            It appears that most of the tunein.com channels are terrestrial radio broadcasts from around the world. So I would assume they are all licensed in their respective countries, as far as music royalties are concerned. If they weren't, then you can be sure that the likes of ASCAP, BMI and SoundExchange would be taking actions to shut that site down.
            I haven't kept up. Wasn't the royalty costs for Internet streaming quite a bit more expensive? I just wonder how that works out if it's just a stream of the radio station. Yes, ASCAP & Company would shut down anything illegal - eventually. (And who pays for tunin's bandwidth?)

Comment

I use the tune.in app for the iPod Touch. As long as it is free I'll use it. Also have Pandora but after several minutes it wants me to activate the app or something or it goes off. I just need something I can leave on and listen to without having to take further action until I turn the station. I also use I Heart Radio from Clear Channel. They have an app for that too.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

on iphone theres an app called iheartradio that lets you stream radio, in hawaii it seems to only be clearchannel stations.
                i just discovered turntable.fm but its beta and invite only right now. its like pandora + chat. make a setlist with stuff that is there already or upload your own songs. i dont understand how its legal, i guess you cant exactly download songs.
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I listen to IHeartRadio.com at work all day long. The primary station I listen to is streamed from SFO. I've listened to stations from all over the US. It's not just Clear Channel - unless, they have thousands of stations. What you listen to depends on what genre or area you select.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Clear Channel has about 750, maybe more stations + several online only. They also stream their HD radio through I Heart Radio. I Heart Radio is Clear Channel only as I understand it. It's good for me to listen to Rush in real time on KFI and elsewhere.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I didn't realize (or hadn't paid attention) but here is the banner on their website:

Listen to 750+ Free Online Radio Stations From 150 Cities

Read more: http://www.iheartradio.com/main.html#ixzz1QdUdtNKF

This explains why my all-time favorite station in SFO changed their format and went all automated. Due to the massive protests from long time listeners like me (15+ years!!!!), they have a rock format on air and they stream the smooth jazz that I like to listen to.

Thanks for the info Mel!
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Tunein.com is a great app. I bought an iPhone4 for a short while (returned when wife blew a gasket ) On the iPhone 4 Tunein runs really nice picking up all the stations I like to hear both here on the Big Island as well as on Oahu. I downloaded it for my Blackberry but it won't run certain stations due to format restrictions.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                        X