Beatles fans go crazy with announcement of forthcoming remastered CD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beatles fans go crazy with announcement of forthcoming remastered CD's

I'm a longtime Beatles fan and collector, not a diehard who searches for mint condition Butcher Shots, but a fan nonetheless. This morning, in fact a little over four hours ago, the announcement was made that Apple/EMI will be releasing newly remastered versions of all of their proper albums in stereo, and also releasing a special "mono only" box set for the diehards who prefer the mono mixes of their songs (some of which are very different from their stereo counterparts).

I'm a member of another board that caters to anything music (primarily of the rock and pop variety), and the Beatles remasters thread has had close to 1000 replies in less than five hours (by the time some of you read it, it will be well past that):
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...d.php?t=179575

Insane. This coincides with the release of The Beatles; Rock Band video game, which not only introduces their music to a younger generation, but it will be possible for fans to extract the multi-track audio files from the game so that they'll be able to hear an isolated guitar, drums, bass, or vocal track, which will probably lead to thousands of unofficial remixes and mash-ups.

Re: Beatles fans go crazy with announcement of forthcoming remastered CD's

Are old Beatles 45 records with the original sleeves intact worth anything?

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post

Aj
      If they are in top notch condition, yes. The records are plentiful and generally don't go for too much if they are dinged up or look as if they've been playing on the road, but if the record and sleeves are in nice condition, they can command a decent price, a small handful in triple digits, even one at $15,000 but good luck in ever finding that one.

In fact, here's one site that talks about picture sleeves:
      http://www.rarebeatles.com/sleeves/sleeves.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
        If they are mint condition, they are. Particularly if they are the American Capitol 45s, as opposed to the more commonly available UK Parlophone/EMI 45s, which have been re-issued numerous times over the years.

So finally, EMI is putting out the stereo versions of the first 4 UK albums on CD? Are they going to be creating new digital remixes, or are they going with the original mixes (vocals on one side, instruments on the other)?
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          If they are mint condition, they are. Particularly if they are the American Capitol 45s, as opposed to the more commonly available UK Parlophone/EMI 45s, which have been re-issued numerous times over the years.

So finally, EMI is putting out the stereo versions of the first 4 UK albums on CD? Are they going to be creating new digital remixes, or are they going with the original mixes (vocals on one side, instruments on the other)?

Original stereo mixes will be used, which does mean it will be the old mixes where everything was mixed to the extreme as you describe. To my knowledge, no new mixes are being made from the multi-tracks, like the Yellow Submarine soundtrack from a few years ago or the Love project which revealed some great things about the original songs.

With the push Apple/EMI are going to give these new remasters, and the video game coming out, I'm hoping that it will lead to perhaps a compilation featuring brand new mixes, or tapping into what's left. It would be nice to hear a proper version of their Christmas album, although I guess if I want to hunt it down in bootleg form I could too.

Comment

In fact, here's one site that talks about picture sleeves:
            http://www.rarebeatles.com/sleeves/sleeves.htm

Thanks for posting this link! I took a trip down memory lane, looking at all those picture sleeves. My sister and I had every one of them, I think--at least 99% of them. But mint condition?! HA--no way! We played them till the records were white instead of black, and the sleeves had a ton of tape holding them together--same with our LPs!!! Those were good days, let me tell ya...

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
              Thanks for posting this link! I took a trip down memory lane, looking at all those picture sleeves. My sister and I had every one of them, I think--at least 99% of them. But mint condition?! HA--no way! We played them till the records were white instead of black, and the sleeves had a ton of tape holding them together--same with our LPs!!! Those were good days, let me tell ya...
              Like a lot of people my age, I too grew up with vinyl, along with 8-tracks, reel-to-reels (well, my uncle was the only one with the hi-pro reel-to-reel machine), and eventually embracing the Walkman. But as a kid, I never thought about preserving anything, especially not covers. Then I had read that article about how records can be of value, and a friend of my auntie's handled records by the side, and that would become the start of a very addictive hobby.

As my mom, who was also an avid music fan and collector herself, always says, "if I knew then what I knew now". I still remember my uncle with a huge bag of 45's, and he used each and every one to become temporary Frisbee's for the apartment building next door. What makes it worse: I participated. As an avid vinyl junkie, I would only do that if I absolutely knew those records were junk, but "one man's junk/trash..." right?

Comment

Working...
              X