Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > The Laboratory
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 29th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Ali`i

Default Tsunami Watch for September 2009

Tsunami Watch Hawaii

Bulletin
tsunami message number 1
nws pacific tsunami warning center ewa beach hi
805 am hst tue sep 29 2009

to - civil defense in the state of hawaii

subject - tsunami watch

a tsunami watch is issued for the state of hawaii effective at
0805 am hst.

An earthquake has occurred with these preliminary parameters

origin time - 0748 am hst 29 sep 2009
coordinates - 15.3 south 171.0 west
location - samoa islands region
magnitude - 7.9 moment

evaluation

based on all available data a tsunami may have been generated by
this earthquake that could be destructive on coastal areas even
far from the epicenter. An investigation is underway to determine
if there is a tsunami threat to hawaii.

If tsunami waves impact hawaii the estimated earliest arrival of
the first tsunami wave is

0111 pm hst tue 29 sep 2009
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Tsunami Watch Hawaii (and New Zealand) September 29 2009

They've updated the magnitude from a 7.9 to an 8.3. Yikes!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Ali`i

NOAA cancelled the tsunami watch at 10:22 am HST. Check out their buoy map for actual wave data:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/?lat=-8.754...=&op=&ls=false
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Ali`i

apparently my kid's school thinks an advisory is a warning because they just called my wife that the school is closing for the day because of updated information that the watch was upgraded to a tsunami warning...
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Kia`aina

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8281616.stm

For the Samoans here and those who have Samoan family:

http://www.fm104.org/
http://static.radionz.net.nz/assets/.../8074/rnzi.asx

News and updates from those who have managed to get into contact with family back home
http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=42976&p=3&topicID=31233114

Last edited by PoiBoy; September 29th, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Ali`i

NO NSWEAT! theycancelled the alert! Up here at 275 ft above sea level we have no sweat anyway,

oops, excuse me, I think my spare back bathroom has a leak...

wait! No it's coming from outside...!!!

BRB.........................
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Ali`i

Just saw this on a friend's Facebook page:
Quote:
please pass this message on:

We're accepting food item donations at the American Samoa Office of Honolulu: Please drop off canned goods, bags of rice and bottled water at the office. Let's work together to make a difference.

1427 Dilingham Blvd Suite 210, Honolulu, Hawaii 96817
Of interest to me is that while we're constantly being encouraged to go green and stop using bottled water, there's still a very important need and use for it.
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Ali`i

They're now saying 83 dead and the number is likely to double.
A boating aquaintance of mine owns the Coconuts Beach Club resort in American Samoa and has posted information on their website at http://www.cbcsamoa.com/ , which they'll supposedly be updating.

Old September 30th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
apparently my kid's school thinks an advisory is a warning because they just called my wife that the school is closing for the day because of updated information that the watch was upgraded to a tsunami warning...
Why? Is the school in the inundation zone?

That's one panicky principal you got there.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Ali`i

Exclamation Re: Tsunami Watch Hawaii (and New Zealand) September 29 2009

From this Breaking News story of just a few minutes ago:

Tsunami advisory issued for Hawaii after 8.0 quake off Vanuatu

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has issued a tsunami advisory for Hawaii following a magnitude-8.0 earthquake off the Vanuatu islands.
The quake struck at 12:03 p.m., Hawaii time.
It is not known at this time whether a tsunami was generated.
The quake struck 183 miles northwest of the Vanuatu island of Santo, and 354 miles northwest of the capital of Port Vila, at a depth of 21 miles.
American Samoa, Samoa and Tonga are under a tsunami watch.
If a wave is generated, it would arrive in Hawaii at 6:50 tonight, the warning center said.
A warning is in effect for Vanuatu, the Solomons, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, New Caldeonia, Fiji, Kiribati, Kosrae, Wallis-Futuna and Howland-Baker.
A watch is in effect for Tokelau, Kermadec, Pohnpei, New Zealand, Samoa, American Samoa, Tonga, Australia, Niue, Cook Islands, Chuuk, Indonesia, Wake, Jarvis, Palmyra, Guam, Northern Marianas, Johnston, Yap, Marcus and Belau.
There were no immediate reports of injury or damage from officials in Vanuatu, a chain of 83 islands. It lies just over 1,400 miles northeast of Sydney, Australia.
The latest warning comes just two weeks after a quake of magnitude 8.3 rocked the South Pacific near Samoa, sparking tsunami waves that killed at least 178 people and devastated coastal villages in Samoa, American Samoa and in northern Tonga.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Geological Survey reported a strong earthquake struck south of the Philippines on Thursday morning local time.
The quake had a preliminary magnitude of 6.7 and was located in the Celebes Sea, 175 miles southeast of Jolo, Sulu Archipelago, and 730 miles south of Manila. The quake hit at 5:41 a.m. Thursday local time.
(...)

Old October 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Why? Is the school in the inundation zone?

That's one panicky principal you got there.
Update on that one...the director was following the lead from Hawaii County Civil Defense that closed off all beaches on the Big Island. Connections is a stone's throw (okay football field 2x) from Hilo Bay.
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Ali`i

When the day comes that we get another serious tsunami it's going to be worse that the recent devestation in the Samoa's look like a luau.
They are regularly schooled on proper proceedures and what not to do, yet they in most part panicked, which is what cost the larger loss of life.
We in Hawaii have virtually no training on disaster proceedings, let what little we do recieve go in one ear and out the other, and will be even more prone to panic.
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Ali`i

Ron, I have to differ with you here. One of the causes of the devastation in Samoa was that they didn't have time to issue a warning. and many folks DID head for high ground as soon as the earthquake hit. The damage/deaths could have been much worse. and I think that most here are very well aware of the dangers and what to do. We are lucky in a sense that we do have a good warning system with the sirens and early notices sent out via radio, tv & newspapers. Not to mention the internet, twitter etc. I sure there is plenty of room for improvement anywhere that is prone to these events. But, we are pretty well prepared here. I certainly feel that I will get plenty of warning if something happens. Anyone who has lived here more than a couple of years becomes very aware of the dangers of living on a island in the middle of the ocean.

(way off topic but I finally went to one of your links & now know how you know Kaleo Wood)
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
1) Ron, I have to differ with you here.
2) We are lucky in a sense that we do have a good warning system with the sirens and early notices sent out via radio, tv & newspapers. Not to mention the internet, twitter etc. I sure there is plenty of room for improvement anywhere that is prone to these events. But, we are pretty well prepared here. I certainly feel that I will get plenty of warning if something happens. Anyone who has lived here more than a couple of years becomes very aware of the dangers of living on a island in the middle of the ocean.
1) You'd be differring with a Samoan resident who witnessed it all and offerred his opinion which I repeated.
2) But as you stated, it hit those islands VERY quickly, without time to issue any warnings, barely time to run like hell.
One account had a couple simply feeling the earthquake and immediately jumping into their car and hauling ass away from shore, only to have the white water chasing their bumper as their neighbors were freaking out and dying. That's the scary part about these tsunamis, they can just pop up and swarm areas. If the same occurred similarly here it would/could be more tragic, depending on the areas hit worst, and someday it will. Of course I would love to be wrong.
Whenever I live in beachfront dwellings, I always have that lingering fear in the back of my mind, ready for any mental or physical signs of warning.

Last edited by Ron Whitfield; October 8th, 2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Ali`i

Looking for ways to improve tsunami warnings
...an interesting blog by Howard Dicus.
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Ali`i

I remember the tsunami scare that had Waikiki scrambling for safety. I was working at KGU in the Waikiki Trade Center and could see the mayhem at street level. When the clocked ticked to zero and the tsunami was supposed to hit the south shores of Oahu, there was gridlock on Kalakaua, Kuhio and Ala Wai BLVD's. It seems the tour companies wanted to get their tour buses out of harms way so they krept thru the gridlock making their way Mauka on the cross streets heading to Ala Wai BLVD. What they did was effectively block all lanes on Kuhio Avenue as they got stuck crossing the intersections.

I was supposedly was safe on the 17th floor so we were told to stay put since we were the CD station on the AM side and KAIM was the CD station for the FM side.

As far as readiness goes, we were warned hours ago to evacuate Waikiki, but when the tsunami was supposed to hit, everybody was stuck in traffic, at sea level, inside the inundation zones. I'm talking thousands of people!
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
If the same occurred similarly here it would/could be more tragic, depending on the areas hit worst, and someday it will.
It already did. Big Island, November of 1975. Two people were killed. Earthquake on or near the Big Island caused a section of land to drop, they were part of a group of people camping in the area. When they felt the ground shake they headed away from the water going uphill but then rocks were coming down at them so they went back towards the water and that's when the tsunami came ashore and swept the people away.
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Ali`i

I agree with Craig.

I remember the last time Hawaii had a tsunami warning. The warning was sounded and everyone knew what to do. Businesses closed down, employess were told to go home and get to higher grounds. So everyone got in their cars and ... gridlock! Luckily, the tsunami that hit was less than a foot. If it was a 20 footer, everyone would have been wiped out because everyone was stuck in traffic. We do have a good warning system. Itís just that our infrastructure and evacuation plans arenít workable. Thatís why if there is a tsunami warning, I am not going to get in a car. I am going to make it to higher grounds on foot.

Me? I was stuck at Ala Moana Shopping Center. The parking lot was crammed. No one could get out of the shopping center because the surrounding roads were jammed.
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Ali`i

Being on the upper level at AMC should be safe, unless it's catastrophic propotions that would take down highrises. Then sing a song and kiss it goodbye.

Yes, of course we've had deadly tidal waves in Hawaii's semi-recent history, but few even remember them. It'll be all new to most.
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Ali`i

I have recollections of 2 tsunami warnings, both with gridlocks. 1986 and 1995, iirc. I was in the inundation zone for both and could not get out. I remember during '86 I lived in a home with a somewhat short, semi-circle driveway. Drivers heading mauka were panicking and using my driveway in an attempt to get 4 cars ahead! It was totally nuts. My daughter and I ended up walking a mile mauka and part way up a ridge to her friend's parents home where we hung out for most of the evening. The '95 warning I was house sitting a condo in Pualei Circle at the base of Diamond Head. I didn't even bother to leave.
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Ali`i

In the 1986 event, the siren blarred in the early afternoon, people were on the road either because they finished work, picking kids from school or trying to get to higher ground.

TheBus was being used to ferry people out of the zones.

For the 1995 event (I am going on tutusue's memory on the year that happened), the siren sounded in the early morning before people were showing up to work, but other people headed to the water's edge to get their boats docked at the harbor to deeper waters. For this event I stayed home and watched TV while the local news stations reported the event from various places.
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Ali`i

I remember the '86 alert, while still in Ka'a'awa near the Hwy. with a view of the shore/ocean from my bedroom window. Other than loading the van with guitars/amps and other precious items to rush up the hill in escape, we just hung out waiting for any sign of receeding water. None. It was spooky having seemingly NOBODY in the neighborhood except the
occassional CD patrol. Even more nice and quiet tho! I was very glad that there was no problem, especially the next day when I had to actually use the van, and it wouldn't start...
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Ali`i

Exclamation Re: Tsunami Watch Hawaii (and New Zealand) September 29 2009

Newly released video of the tsunami hitting Samoa!
From this Breaking News item:

The Honolulu office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation today released video footage of the Sept. 29 tsunami striking the parking lot of the FBI's office in American Samoa.
The video was taken from a stationary security camera at the FBI Resident Agency office on the second floor of Pago Plaza in Pago Pago.
It shows a man walking in the lot when he sees something in the distance and turns to run.
Shortly after, a surge of water sweeps through the lot, lifting vehicles and washing them away.
The footage has been uploaded to the FBI YouTube page, and can be seen at the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9kxh-h5uUk

Because of its second-floor location, the FBI office suffered only minimal damage, and the FBI continues to operate.
(...)