What Hardware store do you go to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Hardware store do you go to?

Most of us are handy with our hands, so where do you go to get your tools/equipment?

choices:
    - Lowes
    - Home Depot
    - City Mill
    - Hardware Hawaii Ace
    - Sears
    - other specialty store

Since we live about in the middle from the major 3 hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes and City Mill) we can just price compare in a few hours, and go to the cheapest place
    Lowes
    11.11%
    Home Depot
    27.78%
    City Mill
    44.44%
    Hardware Hawaii Ace
    5.56%
    Sears
    11.11%
    Other
    0.00%
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: What Hardware store do you go to?

I go to City Mill first - gotta support those local businesses! - and if they don't have it then I hit Home Depot.

Comment

My kids love Home Depot: they walk around saying "YOU can DO IT! WE CAN HELP!" to just about anyone.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
        My kids love Home Depot: they walk around saying "YOU can DO IT! WE CAN HELP!" to just about anyone.

yea. chity mill has their usual gaggle of about 5 employees hangin at da front with their similar smocks on with a logo that sez sumpin like
        can we help you
        on da back.
        So I am standing there, waiting for one of those 5 to turn around and assist taking my hard earned money.
        they are just hangin out talking among themselves.
        one turns ever so slowly and sees me. I reply:
        "Yes, you can, I hope."

in answer to her question emblazoned on her smock.
        She is not amused.

and their web site tells us:

CITY MILL is a progressive organization committed to:

Solving our customers' problems by providing superior customer service and high quality products
        Growing our people

(how do you "grow a people"?!)

ya know I do hope soon will come the day that large store organizations come to the realization corporate mission statements, or... slogans.... or fake ad agency/branding/ image con-sultant high priced promises will never replace actual good service.
        's like that re/max corporate slogan;
        "exceeding expectations".
        which everyone now referes to as:
        receeding expectations.

or
        exceeding expectorations...

Comment

If you know what you want and what you're doing, it's tough to beat Home Depot's selection. If you're attempting something for the first time and need advice, City Mill. The plumbing guy at the Nimitz store is amazing. A friend and I went to City Mill to get replacement parts for her bathroom sink, and at first a younger guy gave us vague directions, saying what we wanted was "somewhere in this area."

Then an older guy sorta told the other guy to go do something else. He said, "I have two questions for you. If you can answer the two questions, I can tell you absolutely for sure what you want. If you cannot answer the two questions, I won't sell you anything. You can go home and get the answers, or you can go somewhere else and take your chances."

We went back, got the answers, returned the next day, and the guy said, "This is what you want." He then told us what we needed to do, and his instructions were clear and concise. He was awesome.

I'm a teacher, and I am always impressed when someone outside the profession demonstrates excellent teaching. This guy had it. He knew his subject and he knew how to communicate it to two very very ignorant people without making us feel stupid. He made us feel smart, actually, and when we successfully made the repair, we felt even smarter. That's good teaching.

For certain things, you can't beat Kilgo's on Sand Island. It's turning into a ghost town, but there is still all kinds of great stuff at low prices there, stupid tv-commercial jingle notwithstanding.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            For certain things, you can't beat Kilgo's on Sand Island. It's turning into a ghost town, but there is still all kinds of great stuff at low prices there, stupid tv-commercial jingle notwithstanding.

dang forgot about kilgo's. they rock.

love that place. but seldom am i in that part of town.
            it is a good excuse for a la mariana visit.

Comment

(topic drift warning)
              Originally posted by kimo55
              it is a good excuse for a la mariana visit.
              Why would you need an excuse to visit that heavenly watering hole? Nachos and Newcastle are all the excuse you need! I love that place.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

(topic drift warning)

Why would you need an excuse to visit that heavenly watering hole? Nachos and Newcastle are all the excuse you need! I love that place.

true. da view, da maitais, da decor, shooting da bull with scotty or colburn, pettin corky, walkin round da boats..

Comment

(topic drift warning) Nachos and Newcastle are all the excuse you need!
                  As many times as I've been to La Mariana I didn't realize they had Newcastle, so thanks for the heads up!
                  Remember the band "Free"? One of their songs had a line in it that said "Newcastle Brown... will sure smack you down".

And to get back on topic: I always enjoy a Newcastle Brown after a hard day of shopping for tools.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                    As many times as I've been to La Mariana I didn't realize they had Newcastle, so thanks for the heads up!
                    Remember the band "Free"? One of their songs had a line in it that said "Newcastle Brown... will sure smack you down".

And to get back on topic: I always enjoy a Newcastle Brown after a hard day of shopping for tools.

The sell GB beer also, at la mariana, I find myself thinking about tools when I am there suckin da suds lookin at da tikis thinkin; "hey, that one need a little repair with kilgo material...."

Comment

Steve Marriott, lead singer for Humble Pie (who was spotted lately by papparazzi shopping at Home depot) also sings about it when they did a song called "thirty days in the hole."
                      Saw them live at da civic auditorium on king street back in da seventies.

goes la deesss....:

Chicago Green, talkin' 'bout Black Lebanese
                      A dirty room and a silver coke spoon
                      Give me my release, come on
                      Black napalese, it's got you weak in your knees
                      Sneeze some dust that you got buzzed on
                      You know it's hard to believe

30 days in the hole
                      30 days in the hole
                      30 days in the hole
                      That's what they give you
                      30 days in the hole
                      I know

Newcastle Brown, I'm tellin' you, it can sure smack you down
                      Take a greazy whore and a rollin' dance floor
                      It's got your head spinnin' round
                      If you live on the road, well there's a new highway code
                      You take the urban noise with some dirt with poison
                      It's gonna lessen your load

Comment

Actually, I don't know if it's got Newcastle. I usually have nachos and Guinness, but "nachos and Guinness" wasn't alliterative. I am finding that more and more local places are serving Newcastle, many of them serving it on tap, and I'm finding I actually prefer it to Guinness. It seems to go better with food, but maybe that's because Guinness is food. I have a friend who frequents an Irish pub in Chicago and he says Guinness isn't on the beer list--it's on the appetizers menu.

And to keep us on topic: If I were going to build myself a New Castle, I'd go to Kilgo's for the materials, and then stop in for a Guinness and some Nachos at La Mariana, which is just down the road.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

And to keep us on topic: If I were going to build myself a New Castle, I'd go to Kilgo's for the materials, and then stop in for a Guinness and some Nachos at La Mariana, which is just down the road.

whuwhuwhuuuuhuhuu... good one.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            Steve Marriott, lead singer for Humble Pie (who was spotted lately by papparazzi shopping at Home depot) also sings about it when they did a song called "thirty days in the hole." (...) Newcastle Brown, I'm tellin' you, it can sure smack you down
                            Well heck, I stand corrected. Thanks, Kimo!
                            Free... Humble Pie... I'll watch for 'em both at the hardware store.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

hi i go to city mill or home depot if i need anything and today i went to city mill and they are restructuring the outside where they are painting the wall's and fixing them and where you would come out from the side door,that door is closed and your able to enter and come out from the front door and thing's there are chainging so it was nice to visit there for once.

today i went to home depot to look for a part for our bathroom faucet only they werent inexpensive,they were about $27.00 plus tax and i went to city mill and found the correct part and it only cost's me $8.00 so it was inexpensive and the part i looked for for our bathroom faucet was the plunger with the drainage system and that home deopt ran out so i decided to visit city mill and they had it so it made me
                              well thank's for your time

Comment

Working...
                              X