Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congressional Debate 2010

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
    I think that Djou has a more than reasonable chance of keeping his seat, even if the democratic vote won't be split the second time around.
    I have to agree with this assessment. Djou was being attacked from two sides, and the donkeys had help from everyone from U.S. Sen. Dan Inouye to the DCCC to every living Democrat guv. Still, Charles Djou put up a 9-point win with little heavy lifting over Hanabusa. Which leads to the next obvious mythbuster...
    Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    Personally, I think that both Senators Inouye & Akaka and Hanabusa are doing the democratic voters of Hawaii a great disservice by staying in the race. She could have gracefully dropped out of the race and urged to her supporters to support Case.
    So much for this absurd assessment that Case had more support then Hanabusa. I find it curious that only Kaonohi and myself had the wisdom to see just how weakened Case’s candidacy was as a result of his misguided challenge of U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka. People in Hawai‘i are vastly different from the way we value our elders, or kupuna. That’s a big part of what makes Hawai‘i, Hawai‘i. From a Democratic Party standpoint, there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for Case to do what he did. It was purely selfish, egotistical vanity for him to throw away his seniority for no other reason but to take potshots at the lone native Hawaiian in national politics. I for one, would have been shocked and amazed if the Democratic base supported him after what he did. Case’s only support comes from independents, and at this point, independents are fed up with the “old-boy network” machine. And Case’s in-laws are a huge part of that machine. People in the know, know that.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

don't gloat - it's not becomming. I stand by my views.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

don't gloat - it's not becomming. I stand by my views.
        I'm right with you!!

(TuNnL)Matt, shut up!!

Congratulations to Dijou. Come next time, we will send a DEMOCRAT to Washington!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

AND..I still feel Neil Abercrombie should have stayed and completed his elected position. If he stayed, the Democrats would have ensured another Democratic seat at the federal level. Now they lost one more.

Neil's move may be a good one for Hawaii, but for the nation in general, for the democrats to lose yet another seat in Congress is not a good thing at all. Neil has to win in order to make his decision a good one.

If Mufi wins, then Neil messed up twice.

If a Republican wins, oh man that would mean Neil really messed up with that decision to abandon his congressional seat then lost again for the race for Governor.

Bottom line...Neil has to win for the sake of the Democratic party both locally and nationally. Since Hanabusa took the greater Democratic vote in this special election, really, she should have run for Governor and Neil should have stayed in Congress.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            Neil Abercrombie should have stayed and completed his elected position. If he stayed, the Democrats would have ensured another Democratic seat at the federal level. Now they lost one more ... Neil has to win in order to make his decision a good one.
            I couldn’t agree more, Craig. And let’s not forget the fact that this special election cost taxpayers $$$ when our state can least afford it. And, to top it off, we lose all that seniority in the U.S. house. Why do politicians think the world revolves around them?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

deleted by poster.
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Why do politicians think the world revolves around them?
                Because we-the-people continue to let it.

Comment

hi this is sansei and in our primary and general,im voting for a dem if ed c run's against r c djou,i'll vote for ed c and hoping that he win's.he'd be the best candidate and soon to be congressman in washington,when i saw ed c with a case on the beach,it made me is in our primary and general,if ed c win's,i'll then smile.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    deleted by poster.
                    Oh Auntie...that must have been one intense rant there

Our pastor a few Sundays ago said that whomever get's into office we need to show our support for. As a Republican I'm a bit reserved on what to expect. Djou will ride the high road of morality and will be the whistle-blower in Congress which to me represents the Renegade style attitude for which I voted for Abercrombie when I voted him into Congress the first time.

But we also need experience at the Federal level. Our economy and world issues demand someone who can run with the big boys without tripping and learning the hard way. Case offers that experience. Djou will be on OJT (On the Job Training) for a few months before getting it. We can't afford to waste precious time learning the ropes when those ropes are unravelling quickly.

Mixed feelings, however we must support whomever is in office so they can do their job effectively. In my prayers and daily devotions, I pray that God will guide Djou in making the right decisions for the sake of our country.

Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Djou needs to realize (along with all his Republican buddies) that the congressional election was to elect a person who could represent the WHOLE district - not just those of his own party. This district contains Democrats, Independents, Greens, Tea-Party, oh and yes - Republicans. Right now, regardless of MY party registration - he is my congressman. and he better be prepared to do a damn good job of it - for EVERYONE! and he should keep in mind that he did not get a majority of the votes, much less a "mandate".
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Our pastor a few Sundays ago said that whomever get's into office we need to show our support for. As a Republican I'm a bit reserved on what to expect. Djou will ride the high road of morality and will be the whistle-blower in Congress which to me represents the Renegade style attitude for which I voted for Abercrombie when I voted him into Congress the first time.

But we also need experience at the Federal level. Our economy and world issues demand someone who can run with the big boys without tripping and learning the hard way. Case offers that experience. Djou will be on OJT (On the Job Training) for a few months before getting it. We can't afford to waste precious time learning the ropes when those ropes are unravelling quickly.
                        You make a very good point here, Craig. The person who probably would have been the most effective in the special election term was Ed Case, due to his prior experience. For Djou (and for Hanabusa too, had she won), it will be OJT. And even if Congressman-elect Djou is a fast learner, will he be able to make much use of it? Let's get real here. He won't be able to spend much time studying the intricacies of Capitol Hill. He'll have to be out and about campaigning and raising money for the regular election cycle. Djou can't run his campaign from out of his office in DC while Case and Hanabusa are hitting the pavement back home and making personal appearances in front of the voters.

One thing that Djou has going for him: He's charismatic on the TV screen and has put forward a likeable, engaging personality on national media outlets like this appearance on Fox News. I can see him becoming a frequent guest on TV/radio programs hosted by the likes of Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, and Bill O'Reilly. These appearances could provide a huge lift for Djou when it comes to attracting the attention and support of mainland-based GOP donors and political action committees.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          Case’s only support comes from independents, and at this point, independents are fed up with the “old-boy network” machine. And Case’s in-laws are a huge part of that machine. People in the know, know that.
                          Yep. That's the way to substantiate your statements. "People in the know." Riiiight.

OTOH, leave it to a blogger like Ian Lind to provide some solid information, like where each candidate gets their money from.

Colleen Hanabusa's top contributors.

Ed Case's top contributors.

As Ian points out re: Case's list of donors,...

He received almost nothing from political action committees. According to the FEC, PACs accounted for just $7,700 raised by Case in reportable amounts, and none gave more than $2,400. By comparison, Hanabusa pulled in $262,000 in PAC money. That’s quite a devastating difference, unless the candidate on the short end has enough resources to make the discrepancy an issue.
                          Yep, that's right. Hanabusa is over 30 times more indebted to PACs and special interest groups than Ed Case. And that's not the opinion of unnamed "people in the know." That's based on donor information provided by the Federal Election Commission.

So who's really more a product of the "old boys network?"

As the man said, "Show me the money! Show me the money!"
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

in her defense (even though I do support Case), Hanabusa's top contributor Emily's List does not contribute to candidates who are not Democrat, Pro-Choice women. I don't know if they also support male candidates who are pro-choice but don't think so. I have no problem whatsoever with any support they give to candidates here or nationally. They are generous with their funding and do not ask any more of a candidate than to remain true to what they already support.

I'm a proud member of Emily's List and have been for years.
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I don't know if they also support male candidates who are pro-choice but don't think so.
                              Correct, they do not. The clear goal of Emily's List is to get Democratic pro-choice women elected to offices at state and federal levels.

Comment

in her defense (even though I do support Case), Hanabusa's top contributor Emily's List does not contribute to candidates who are not Democrat, Pro-Choice women. I don't know if they also support male candidates who are pro-choice but don't think so.
                                The fact that Hanabusa is getting money from Emily's List doesn't negate the money and influence from all of her other corporate, union, and special interest donors.

As far as Emily's List goes.... I've no problem with any organization that exclusively provides support for female, pro-choice candidates. What has hurt EL's credibility was their support for Nikki Tinker, a congressional candidate who used race and religious baiting tactics against her opponent.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-campaign-ads/

According to the Web site politico.com, the feminist group that has supported Nikki Tinker's 9th District Congressional campaigns is distancing itself from her because of the commercials her campaign released attacking incumbent Congressman Steve Cohen.

"We were shocked to see the recent ads run by the Nikki Tinker for Congress campaign. We believe the ads are offensive and divisive," said Ellen Malcolm, the group's director. "EMILY's List does not condone or support these types of attacks."
                                EL's director may have been "shocked" over the commercials aired by Tinker. But until the eve of the election, the group did not withdraw its endorsement of Tinker.

EMILY's List has removed Tinker from its "Featured Candidates" listing but still has Tinker on its "Full Candidates" list inside the Web site.
                                As the article states, other organizations like the National Organization for Women and Planned Parenthood seemed to use more discernment in this race by backing Cohen.

Comment

Working...
                                X