Congressional Debate 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congressional Debate 2010

Mr. Case, he seems to think like a Republican.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      It always rubs me the wrong way when I learn that a campaign commercial uses paid actors, instead of genuine people in the community who present themselves for who they really are.
      Agreed. On the same token, it always rubs me the wrong way when I learn that two of the three leading candidates for Congress do not live in the district! Watch Hawaii News Now’s story on Charles Djou. Apparently, he’s the only one of the three who has residency! Shame on Ed Case and Colleen Hanabusa. Never figured them for carpetbaggers, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Recieved my Ballot from the Office of Elections yesterday!
        Please black out only one (1) square for the candidate of your
        choice and sign the back of the envelope.

The important thing is you VOTE!!!

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
        Attached Files
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

This is what the ballot looks like:

Full size: http://twitpic.com/1kdsqv
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

hi,i put in my vote for myself and i voted for ecase and imoh,he'll go to washington,

i dislike hanabusa is she'll back obama and djou,remember what he wanted once to do with another citycouncilman rtam.this is why i voted for ecase.

he'll do good in washington.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
              hi,i put in my vote for myself and i voted for ecase and imoh,he'll go to washington,

he'll do good in washington.

well thank's for your time
              Mahalo for your Vote Sansei!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Agreed. On the same token, it always rubs me the wrong way when I learn that two of the three leading candidates for Congress do not live in the district! Watch Hawaii News Now’s story on Charles Djou. Apparently, he’s the only one of the three who has residency! Shame on Ed Case and Colleen Hanabusa. Never figured them for carpetbaggers, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.
                There is no legal requirement for congressional delegates to actually reside in the district they represent. On that note - yes, Djou is a long time resident in Hawaii-Kai. Case did live in Manoa and represented that district in the state house. Hanabusa has always lived in Waianae. It's not like Case is not familiar with urban Honolulu. Hanabusa, not so much. and living in Kailua is not the same as country living in Waianae.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I can understand, sort of, candidates sending out robocalls. Once a week even. But I've been, on occasion, getting more than one a day from Hanabusa's campaign and it makes me very inclined not to vote for her.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    There is no legal requirement for congressional delegates to actually reside in the district they represent.
                    Legality is not the issue IMHO, it’s ethics. Regardless of what’s legal, if you don’t live in the district, you’re a carpetbagger. Period. Some voters won’t give a rip, some will. I am one of those that does.

In other news, the Honolulu Advertiser published results of the latest poll of 349 likely voters. According to the poll conducted by Ward Research from April 23 through April 28, Charles Djou leads the field with 36% of the vote. Ed Case follows at 28%, with Hanabusa trailing at 22%.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Thanks for the poll. I missed it.

The Ward research poll is the only valid poll results I've seen so far. If anyone know a thing about statistical analysis and polling you can discredit any online poll.

1. Lack of control over poll manipulation by electronic means or duplicate voting, etc.

2. Lack of oversight to control who responds to the poll. You only want to consider folks who are not just residents of the district voting but folks who are registered to vote and likely to vote.

3. Poll not written by a professional to eliminate potential bias (didnt actually see the poll but the wording and language can influence the poll quite a bit)

Comment

If you live in that district you have a better understanding of the people that live in it because you are one of them (supposedly). But how long you live there should also come into consideration. I have lived in lower Puna (and still do) here on the Big Island for about six years now, but I don't consider myself worthy enough to represent this district simply because six years just isn't enough.

And just because I lived in a certain district all my life and then moved, how can I represent that district while living in another? I grew up in East Honolulu for 44-years of my life, yet I don't live there anymore, it's not in the community's interest to vote me in because I'm not there to represent them.

So who really should represent a district? For me (and it's just MY opinion), it should be someone who everybody in that district can name when asked, "who should be our representative?"

I guess when candidates go house to house asking for votes that's a way to ask that question indirectly.

Believe it or not, when I lived in Honolulu I voted for Mufi for Mayor simply because he walked the streets of Manoa (where I lived just before moving to the Big Island) on a Hot and Humid Sunday afternoon in his business suit passing out flyers and bumper stickers. He came up to me at an intersection and knocked on my drivers window, dripping in sweat asking me for my support. Now that may not be enough to warrant being a mayor of Honolulu, but the fact that he was the only one that approached me told me he took his time to chat with me, something the other candidates never did.

I told him that I'll vote for him but he better walk the talk. He smiled and held his hands out and told me to look at him dressed the way he was (all professional and stuff) while sweating profusely, he was trying. I smiled, shook his hand and took his flyer and bumper sticker then the light turned green and we departed.

Nowdays I vote for the person who takes the time to come to me or my community and asks the important questions about the sustainability of my district. If we agree on what needs to be done, I vote for that person regardless of party affiliation.

I'm a republican but I hate being attached to a label that way. I've been staunch on both parties but now I've taken a more moderate view of the world (yes George W. Bush) turned out to be an embarrassment to the GOP, however LBJ wasn't a saint either. No LBJ didn't kill our economy as much as he did our boys in Vietnam, but neither were proud moments in history.

If I could vote for this district who would I vote for? Ed Case, simply because he came up to me and asked for my vote at one time like Mufi did, like Lingle did, like Inouye did, like Ariyoshi did, like Abercrombie did. And if I couldn't vote I offered my support like I did to JFK and Burns. JFK looked me in the eyes as a two year old pointed at me with his intense eyes and smiled. For that brief moment we locked eyes, yet it was as if eternity had passed. Too young to vote, but old enough to have left an impression that made me a democrat until 1984. Burns shook my hands as a young child and I could see the man as someone who would help shape my own life. I still have his sewing kit he passed out at his rally asking for votes.

I've never met Hanabusa, nor have I met Djou. I did meet Case. And that's how I would vote if I could.
                        Last edited by craigwatanabe; May 4, 2010, 08:42 AM.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I was not impressed with the amount of snark that was displayed by all three candidates during the televised debate. it was mostly poking each other in the eye and puffery instead of substance.

Comment

Or I can vote for the candidate with the one hundred dollars haircut. It's a matter of who can give me love plus one.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                              Thanks for the poll. I missed it. The Ward research poll is the only valid poll results I've seen so far.
                              No problem, 808shooter. And just in case you missed the Democratic National Committee (DNC)’s own internal poll taken during the same period, it produced similar results, with Djou leading the field:

Harstad Strategic Research, Inc.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                                Or I can vote for the candidate with the one hundred dollars haircut. It's a matter of who can give me love plus one.
                                which candidate would that be? I don't think any of them go to a "Cutz R Us" type of place
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X