Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congressional Debate 2010

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    As a republican I do believe in Charles Dijou, I also don't believe in wasting a vote. He doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell other than what's going on with the AAAF (Asian American Action Fund) who favors Hanabusa over Case (much less Djou) because she's asian and that "58% of Hawaii's population is asian-american" ... From an objective standpoint, Djou is too republican and Hanabusa is too democratic.
    I wouldn’t be so quick to count out Djou, Craig. The Honolulu Advertiser opened a poll this morning and, surprise! Out of 274 votes so far, Djou is leading Case by more than 11%! I have seen Djou supporters out in droves. Around the island, there is no clear “signwaving” leader as each candidate appears to have a contingent of traffic distractions. I don’t think there’s any doubt this race is a tossup.

With about six weeks left in the race to fill Neil Abercrombie's congressional seat, who do you support?

274 votes (results not scientific)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

7,062 votes (results not scientific)

RESULTS NOT SCIENTIFIC.
      Attached Files
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I have to agree with Lynn. No pollster/political strategist would find any value in this online poll. It is too easy for the results to be manipulated and skewed.

In the meantime, the much-respected non-partisan organization, FactCheck.org, has flat out called the DCCC's attack ad on Charles Djou to be false. My gut feeling is that these Mainland-style aggressive attack ads that play fast-and-loose with the facts won't be received well by Honolulu voters. This, and the fact that Hanabusa earlier withdrew an ad may very well be adding to a perception that the misleading and false claims in this campaign are mostly coming from the Democratic side.

Case, Hanabusa, and the DCCC had better get their act together, or come May 22, they may find themselves gearing up for a 2010 primary/general election cycle with Republican Djou sitting in the driver's seat as the incumbent.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

They were all smiles back in January. Photo by Mel.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            They were all smiles back in January. Photo by Mel.
            Where is their thought bubbles?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              No pollster/political strategist would find any value in this online poll. It is too easy for the results to be manipulated and skewed.
              Well, to my knowledge, no pollster/political strategist has released a poll to the public recently. Frankly, I and the vast majority of HT aren’t pollsters or political strategists anyway. So to get beyond your pooh-pooing of the Honolulu Advertiser’s results, I do think the poll is the best indication of what we can expect when the dust settles. Incidentally, the final results are in:

Friday, April 09, 2010

With about six weeks left in the race to fill Neil Abercrombie's congressional seat, who do you support?

11495 votes (results not scientific)
              Last edited by TuNnL; April 13, 2010, 03:18 AM. Reason: spelling

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Well, to my knowledge, no pollster/political strategist has released a poll to the public recently. Frankly, I and the vast majority of HT aren’t pollsters or political strategists anyway. So to get beyond your pooh-pooing of the Honolulu Advertiser’s results, I do think the poll is the best indication of what we can expect when the dust settles.
                A flawed poll is worthless. Not worth the paper it's printed on. (Or in this case, an online poll which is not worth the cyberspace it occupies.) I stand by what I earlier said. What good is any poll which could be manipulated (the same person voting multiple times) or skewed (people from outside the Urban Honolulu congressional district voting).

If this poll is the "best indication" of what you've got to go on, then whatever.

Just recently, Atlantic magazine reported the results of a poll conducted by the DCCC, which shows that Case and Djou are now tied, with Hanabusa trailing by 5 points. And this was reported locally by KITV just last night.

But according to a more recent poll reported by Atlantic magazine, Case and Djou are now tied with 32 percent of the vote, with Hanabusa in third place at 27 percent. About nine percent of the respondents were undecided, Atlantic reported, citing a Democratic source who’d seen results of a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee poll.
                Geez, Tunnl. Is it sooo hard for you to get your news from a source other than the Honolulu Advertiser?
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The only poll that matters is the one made on election day.

All else is manipulation.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                    The only poll that matters is the one made on election day.
                    I’d have to disagree, since this election is being conducted entirely via absentee ballot. And since “walk-in absentee” voting will be held from May 10-May 20 even though mail-in ballots will be continue to be accepted two days after that, it is unclear when “election day” is, or if it is even applicable in this case.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Wanna see our own beloved Auntie Lynn on TV? Watch for the new commercial for Ed Case, or view it on the main page of his website at http://www.edcase.com/ . About nine seconds in, look in the lower right corner.
                      Lookin' good, Auntie! [/hug]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I've noticed all three candidates indicate they are all "Independent"
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I am a Proud Democrat and an Independent Thinker!
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            I've noticed all three candidates indicate they are all "Independent"
                            In what medium/forum?

That didn't seem to fool the Advertiser; last Friday, they included these three lines in Derrick DePledge's piece about funding:

"Hanabusa, a Democrat, has raised $712,000 through March, including more than $459,250 in the past three months.

Honolulu City Councilman Charles Djou, a Republican, has raised $692,000, including $297,600 in the past quarter.

Former Congressman Ed Case, a Democrat, has raised $400,000, with $177,000 coming in the past quarter."

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              Wanna see our own beloved Auntie Lynn on TV? Watch for the new commercial for Ed Case, or view it on the main page of his website at http://www.edcase.com/ . About nine seconds in, look in the lower right corner.
                              Lookin' good, Auntie! [/hug]
                              Indeed.

And in this commercial, I see a couple of familiar faces. None of them actors.

It always rubs me the wrong way when I learn that a campaign commercial uses paid actors, instead of genuine people in the community who present themselves for who they really are.

Comment

Hawai`i's penchant for political sign-waving discussed in today's Wall Street Journal.

Comment

Working...
                                X