Congressional Debate 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congressional Debate 2010

In the first live broadcast debate of the race, six candidates sparred on Hawai‘i Public Radio for 90 minutes. The Congressional seat hopefuls gave their perspective on health care reform, No Child Left Behind, and a few other issues. Who came out the winner?
    Ed Case
    36.36%
    Sen. Colleen Hanabusa
    27.27%
    Councilman Charles Djou
    36.36%
    Philmund Lee
    0.00%
    C. Kaui Amsterdam
    0.00%
    Rafael Del Castillo
    0.00%
    none of the above/ best candidate did not participate
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Congressional Debate 2010

Ed Case!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

KITV is reporting that the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (the national campaigning arm for the House Democrats) is considering endorsing Ed Case over Colleen Hanabusa in the special election.

No doubt, the national Dems are feeling nervous about the highly respected Cook Political Report stating that Abercrombie's seat is now in the "toss-up" category, with speculation that Charles Djou has a serious chance at taking it all in the special election run-off if Case and Hanabusa splits the Democratic vote.

But funnier to me is that if the DCCC goes through with this endorsement, they would be basically telling Emperors Inouye and Akaka to stuff their support for HanabUSA up their rear hineys.

It's becoming painfully obvious that the two Dans, while still personally popular, have gotten out-of-touch with the mood of Hawaii voters and that not everyone shares their petty desire for vendetta. In particular, this is true of Senator Dan, who supported Hillary for the presidency despite the fact that the rest of the state was rabidly in favor of Obama. Inouye's coattails didn't do Hillary much good in '08, and with the way things are headed, it's beginning to look like ditto for HanabUSA in '10.

My advice to Colleen: Forget about Congress and being used as a pawn of revenge against Ed Case. Run for Lt. Governor. You would instantly become the leading Democratic candidate in that race and you would be a stronger running mate for either Abercrombie or Hannemann, as compared to the likes of Brian Schatz, Jon Riki Karamatsu, and Bobby Bunda.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        KITV is reporting that the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (the national campaigning arm for the House Democrats) is considering endorsing Ed Case over Colleen Hanabusa in the special election.

No doubt, the national Dems are feeling nervous about the highly respected Cook Political Report stating that Abercrombie's seat is now in the "toss-up" category, with speculation that Charles Djou has a serious chance at taking it all in the special election run-off if Case and Hanabusa splits the Democratic vote.

But funnier to me is that if the DCCC goes through with this endorsement, they would be basically telling Emperors Inouye and Akaka to stuff their support for HanabUSA up their rear hineys.

It's becoming painfully obvious that the two Dans, while still personally popular, have gotten out-of-touch with the mood of Hawaii voters and that not everyone shares their petty desire for vendetta. In particular, this is true of Senator Dan, who supported Hillary for the presidency despite the fact that the rest of the state was rabidly in favor of Obama. Inouye's coattails didn't do Hillary much good in '08, and with the way things are headed, it's beginning to look like ditto for HanabUSA in '10.

My advice to Colleen: Forget about Congress and being used as a pawn of revenge against Ed Case. Run for Lt. Governor. You would instantly become the leading Democratic candidate in that race and you would be a stronger running mate for either Abercrombie or Hannemann, as compared to the likes of Brian Schatz, Jon Riki Karamatsu, and Bobby Bunda.
        Jeez Frankie, despite the fact that you and I don't like each other very much, I certainly do appreciate your political acumen (among other things). Too bad you have me on "IGNORE;" if we had open (but carefully self-monitored) comunication, I think all HT would benefit. Not any less than each other. I'm certain you would disagree...

Whatever. My ABC (Anybody but Case) campaign is not only based on his smarmy eye-contact (or lack thereof), but on his smarmy personal life, as well. I don't want a candidate who is likely to snag my spouse if he sees a political advantage thereto.

(Make eye contact with EC before you vote..., see if you can keep your lunch intact. This guy turns my stomach! Even his posters turn me off!)

Compare Collen's platform with Case's, and you will see where they are, and where intelligent votes might be cast. God help us.

Always Caring:

Ka`onohi`ulaokamiomio`ehiku
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
          This guy turns my stomach! Even his posters turn me off!)

Compare Collen's platform with Case's, and you will see where they are, and where intelligent votes might be cast. God help us.
          God help you.

Have a nice day.
          Last edited by 1stwahine; April 6, 2010, 06:09 AM.

Comment

You made some astute observations, but I disagree that Colleen Hanabusa would make a better running mate for Hannemann than Brian Schatz. Hannemann already has the union, the “local bruddah” and the outer-island vote (at least more than Abercrombie) and Hanabusa’s base consists primarily of the same. Schatz, on the other hand, is incredibly popular in East Honolulu, among college students and educators, and among the haole vote — bases that would shore up Mufi’s support in the “anti-rail” centers.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

The ABCDHs, anybody but Case/Djou/Hanneman! I would love to never see them anywhere near politics again, or the dog pound.

Hanabusa/Case may indeed clusteruck the race and hand it to Djou, but somebody has to stand in Case's way.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The DCCC is now airing anti-Djou commercials, attacking the GOP candidate for signing the Americans for Tax Reform pledge. Of course, it remains to be seen how an attack ad from a national political entity is received by locals here. (I still remember the 1985 commercial using President Reagan, who appealed to Honolulu voters not to recall 3 city councilmembers who switched their allegiances from the Democratic to the Republican party. The national ad proved ineffective as all 3 councilmembers ended up getting recalled.)

But despite Sen. Inouye claim that the DCCC's manuevers will be aimed strictly at working against Djou while staying neutral between Case & Hanabusa, note the wording that the DCCC uses in it's DjouFacts.com commercial.

"WE NEED A CONGRESSMAN ON OUR SIDE"

Hmmm.

In addition, Politico.com is reporting that the DCCC is putting pressure on the local unions to back Case rather than Hanabusa. As the Hawaii Free Press' Andrew Walden commented on the Politico's article,

(It looks like the National Democrats are more afraid of Charles Djou than Dan Inouye.)
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                  God help you.

Have a nice day.
                  Yes, God helps us all, but sometimes we don't pay attention.
                  Thank you for your blessing; I know we disagree - vehemently - but it's so good we can still have Christian love for one another though we see things differently.

The polls will tell our desires, and time will tell our wisdom. Whomever is elected, I wish for us a fair outcome.

You, yourself, are a blessing.

K

(Gee, I should vote for YOU!)
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The DCCC is now airing anti-Djou commercials, attacking the GOP candidate for signing the Americans for Tax Reform pledge. Of course, it remains to be seen how an attack ad from a national political entity is received by locals here. (I still remember the 1985 commercial using President Reagan, who appealed to Honolulu voters not to recall 3 city councilmembers who switched their allegiances from the Democratic to the Republican party. The national ad proved ineffective as all 3 councilmembers ended up getting recalled.)

But despite Sen. Inouye claim that the DCCC's manuevers will be aimed strictly at working against Djou while staying neutral between Case & Hanabusa, note the wording that the DCCC uses in it's DjouFacts.com commercial.

"WE NEED A CONGRESSMAN ON OUR SIDE"

Hmmm.

In addition, Politico.com is reporting that the DCCC is putting pressure on the local unions to back Case rather than Hanabusa. As the Hawaii Free Press' Andrew Walden commented on the Politico's article,
                    It seems the DCCC not only hates Djou but also Hanabusa since she's a WOMAN.

In any case (oops) I'm leaning towards Case even though I'm a republican. He's more of a moderate than any of the candidates and is despised by both parties and their agendas. I'm just fed up with politics as usual already.

Djou is a whistle-blower and that's good but I think if he gets in we'll be spending more time defending each others candidate rather than moving forward.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      I'm leaning towards Case even though I'm a republican. He's more of a moderate than any of the candidates and is despised by both parties and their agendas.
                      If that’s the best thing anyone can say about Case, his candidacy is in trouble. Frankly, based on what Case said in the debate, it’s all a shibai. His answers seemed well-rehearsed and lawyered and carefully crafted to play to both sides of the fence. Well, if that's what you mean by moderate, than no thank you. Moderate = politics as usual. I want a congressman/woman who stands for something.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        If that’s the best thing anyone can say about Case,
                        My TURN.

"Democracy is a political government carried out either directly by the people (direct democracy) or by means of elected representatives of the people (Representative democracy).

The "majority rule" is often described as a characteristic feature of democracy, but without responsible government or constitutional protections of individual liberties from democratic power, it is possible for dissenting individuals to be oppressed by the "tyranny of the majority". An essential process in representative democracies is competitive elections, that are fair both substantively[13] and procedurally.[14] Furthermore, freedom of political expression, freedom of speech and freedom of the press are essential so that citizens are informed and able to vote in their personal interests."[15][16]
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

I am a Child of God, United States Citizen, Woman, Wife, Mother, Grand-Mother and Auntie to many. My children fought in the Middle East. I have a daughter still in Afganistan. Sleepless nights are common for a mother like me. I appreciate my Freedom and am proud of my children and those who fight against terrorism with them. The Men and Women of our Armed Forces.

Democracy.

Been busy volunteering for Ed Case for Congress. Canvassing on Saturdays and going to Headquarters to put rubberbands on brouchures. The people I've met are everyday folks all with a common goal, to get Ed elected. No fancy clothes, talks, or promises await us. The excitement is electrifying. We are an Ohana. We come together from Waipahu to Hawaii Kai from all walks of Life...The Case Team!!

Ed is honest, true and he is for the People!!

Please VOTE Ed Case For Congress!!!

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

PREFACE - WOW this was a long tirade. CAUTION: I'm standing on a soap box so please if it's long winded, I apologize.

I'm sure what I said is not the best anyone can say about Ed Case. It's just what I'm thinking. If you believe what I think is what all Case supporters believe then I think you should ask other Case supporters what they feel before making that judgement call.

As a republican I do believe in Charles Dijou, I also don't believe in wasting a vote. He doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell other than what's going on with the AAAF (Asian American Action Fund) who favors Hanabusa over Case (much less Djou) because she's asian and that "58% of Hawaii's population is asian-american". AAAF seems that all asian-americans will vote only for asians and that the DCCC (Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee) should heed their warning.

Normally I would have written off the AAAF as some wacko PAC out there trying to influence votes by using the race card...however it seems two of the AAAF's honorary board members include US Senators Daniel Inouye AND Dan Akaka! With these two on their board, suddenly there is some heavy influence going on here within the ranks of the Democratic Party.

By virtue of what the AAAF is saying, it's wiser to support your fellow race than what that person's principles are all about and for the most part, Inouye has been riding on successful campaigns over the decades simply because he's asian-american who's loyal supporters have been Nisei Japanese honoring the man who stood up for asian americans back in WWII in the 100th Battalion, 442nd becoming a decorated soldier in the process.

Japanese honor runs deep in the original Nisei generation. I'm an original sansei generation and still have roots deep in Inouye's patriotism. However because I'm Sansei I also understand the need to look beyond patriotism and understand the old boy network needs to be shut down if we are to see any change in the political climate in Washington and here at home in the islands.

The AAAF's recent statements with Inouye's approval only seems to undermine any democratic effort for an unbiased democratic race between Hanabusa and Case. The DCCC doesn't want to take democratic sides however the AAAF's position wants the DCCC to support Hanabusa simply because she's asian-american.

The DCCC seems biased towards men as stated in their recent attack ads against Charles Djou with an underpinning that congress needs a man, which implies that Djou isn't and that Hanabusa isn't fit for the job as well because she's a woman.

So you got two democratic PAC's smearing each other and the republican party saying they're supporting their own candidate, one PAC has the support of the community while the other has the support of two of Hawaii's delegates to Congress.

Meanwhile you have the whistle-blower/big corporation backer republican candidate watching in the background maintaining some level of integrity during this campaign.

Once again the democratic party has shown a lack of solidarity between it's PAC's, it's constituents and it's representatives. And when it's all over and either Case or Hanabusa rise above the mud-slinging, both will embrace each other and work towards a common goal, to defeat the republican party.

We've seen this before and if it's gonna happen again I want a moderate democrat like Ed Case who can still communicate to republicans and not be seen as die-hard democrat who votes his party's agenda.

So what about Hanabusa? The simple fact that Inouye's support of her thru the AAAF only infurates me that racism plays (in part) a role in his decision to support her. The AAAF's endorsement of Hanabusa is not what she needed based on what they said. The Nisei generation is "Fiercely Loyal" to borrow the motto from another Nisei-loyal company (Central Pacific Bank), is slowly dying from old age and the proof of that is in the Sensei attitude from voters like myself that you simply do not vote along racial lines because one of ours stood up for us a generation ago.

Anyway this is my opinion and I respect the opinions of others simply because there are supporters of all three candidates out there.

From an objective standpoint, Djou is too republican and Hanabusa is too democratic. Ed Case is the underdog here despised by both parties yet willing to buck his own party when necessary. That's why I voted for Ben Cayatano and Neil Abercrombie when they were labeled renegades. Too bad for Abercrombie.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            It seems the DCCC not only hates Djou but also Hanabusa since she's a WOMAN.
                            "Hate" is a pretty strong word, particularly as it applies to Hanabusa.

Remember, Case is leading in the polls over Hanabusa.

Hanabusa was the one who was compelled to withdraw a TV commercial over misleading claims that she made.

So if the DCCC officially endorses Case before the general election, there are good reasons why, all of which have nothing to do with gender.

In addition, the DCCC has endorsed women in the past. In fact, the organization even has a Women LEAD committee.

And lastly, the DCCC is the campaigning arm of the Democrats in the House of Representatives. Effectively, this makes the top Democrat in the House, the person who calls the shots for the DCCC.

The speaker of the House is Nancy Pelosi.

Yeah, that's right, Craig. A woman.

And Nancy Pelosi was the one who appointed Chris Van Hollen as the chair of the DCCC.

Just accept the fact that there are valid reasons to support Case over Hanabusa that have nothing to do with gender.

Comment

I can accept that FM but the ads for the DCCC implies that only a Man can run for congress. I guess the DCCC would then imply that Hanabusa is a man? Or more of a man than Djou?

Either way it's sexist and the AAAF is racist and both are democratic PACs.

My support for Case runs on the fact that he's the renegade. And I've met Case before and can vouch for him being a nice man, as is Djou. I've never met Hanabusa but I'll bet she's a great woman and no need to be a man. )

To me Case will win.

Comment

Working...
                              X