Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abercrombie vs. Hanneman: Poll Position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abercrombie vs. Hanneman: Poll Position?

A group calling itself Island Values is now airing commercials appealing to Christians to pull Democratic ballots for the primary election to vote for Mufi Hannemann so that the candidate they find "unacceptable" (Neil Abercrombie) will be defeated.

KITV

HNN

"In every election there are acceptable and unacceptable candidates. Neil Abercrombie is unacceptable. He declares no religious affiliation. In Congress he voted for partial birth abortion, and human cloning and it's no secret he will enact same sex marriage. Unacceptable," said Dennis Arakaki, the former leader of the Hawaii Family Forum.
    "The other acceptable Christian candidate is Duke Aiona who will easily win the Republican primary. Christians can make a difference now by voting in the democratic primary and stopping the unacceptable candidate Neil Abercrombie. Please pull a democratic ballot and vote for the acceptable candidate Mufi Hannemann," said Arakaki, in the ad.
    Despite Hannemann claiming to have nothing to do with this new attack ad, the fact remains that Kenneth Wong, a treasurer for Island Values, was also listed as a Hannemann campaign supporter on Mufi's website. Wong's name was removed from Mufi's site in the last few days,.... but HNN caught it before the change was made.

Looks like the Mufioso and his band of supporters are gettin' desperate.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I saw on the news that PP's poll has risen 10 percent.

Comment

hi if pp happen's that pp's rating's risen 10 percent,if he's i dont wish to say only if it happen's we're unfortunate,that he'd kill rail and everyone who didnt vote for him that he'd be blamed and that's true.

if kc happen's to win and be our mayor,he'd put rail with our gov if mh is our gov,then he and kc would put rail on the map and i'd be =O) smiling.

also the true reason i didnt vote for na for gov,he'd unveto the veto gov ll did and the person's who were against cu's bill.he na would unveto it and let the cu billl be put on the map and na's thinking is like our press pres o and he think's we'd be able to all live as one. that's not correct.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Looks like the Mufioso and his band of supporters are gettin' desperate.
          Newspaper ads with endorsements from bygone years, long gone, from people who might have changed their minds in the meantime (in fact MUST have if he can't get a more recent endorsement!). References from colleagues regarding Mufi's "strong-arm" tactics, and bullying others until he gets his way....

It does sound familiar, doesn't it?

Can we call it the "Mufia?"

Now, is that "Don Hanneman?" Or maybe just "Don Ha!"
          (and he SINGS, too!)

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Island Values is now airing commercials appealing to Christians to pull Democratic ballots for the primary election to vote for Mufi Hannemann
            Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            Newspaper ads with endorsements from bygone years, long gone, from people who might have changed their minds in the meantime (in fact MUST have if he can't get a more recent endorsement!).
            You know all these criticisms from supposed Abercrombie supporters just further illustrate how hollow and vacant Neil’s campaign is. You would think by this time, SOMEONE would have come forward to say something positive about the ex-Congressman. No, all they can do is badmouth Mufi’s ads, which no matter how much you want to label them “hardball” or “old” are factually correct.

Mahalo, Mufi, for improving the city’s bond rating, balancing the budget every year during your two-term tenure, and giving the city the cushion of savings for the first time in decades. If the choice is between you and Neil, a Washington-insider old-boy and tax-and-spend-into-oblivion liberal, you Mufi, have earned my vote.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              You know all these criticisms from supposed Abercrombie supporters just further illustrate how hollow and vacant Neil’s campaign is. You would think by this time, SOMEONE would have come forward to say something positive about the ex-Congressman.
              http://www.neilabercrombie.com/index...complishments/

No, all they can do is badmouth Mufi’s ads, which no matter how much you want to label them “hardball” or “old” are factually correct.
              Yep. It's "factually correct" that Mufi wanted voters to compare and decide on the basis of his wife having a Japanese maiden name, while Neil's wife does not.

In the meantime, Hannemann has all but admitted that he's a DINO (Democrat In Name Only) in his desperate ploy, appealing to Republican voters to abandon their party's primary and to vote for him.

http://www.kitv.com/news/24998920/detail.html

Hannemann said Republicans should like him for his pro-business positions and his fiscal conservatism, but has not stopped courting traditional Democrats.
              Lesse', the racially tinged "Compare and Decide" flyer, conjuring up non-existant endorsements from Inouye and Akaka by taking statements out of context, and now, pandering to Republicans by touting his conservative values,.... Tunnl, your boy is not only going to lose this Saturday, but he's all but burned his bridges behind him. After all the dirty tricks he's pulled, Democratic voters won't trust him anymore. Perhaps it's fitting that Mufi has gotten the endorsement of the Fasi family, because like FFF, he's going to end up switching to whatever party offers him the best chance of winning, principles be damned.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Tunnl, your boy is not only going to lose this Saturday, but he's all but burned his bridges behind him. After all the dirty tricks he's pulled, Democratic voters won't trust him anymore.
                Well, 'Don Mufia' should not despair. Surely he will have two votes: TuNnl and sansei....

Given enough stress, every snake will show his true colors.
                Judge not by what they say, but by what they do (rattlesnakes excepted).
                ~ ~

Comment

your boy is ... going to lose this Saturday
                  It'll be close, for sure. Both candidates have significant support. I take great pride that I debated the merits of the candidates on the issues, while you, Kaonohi and Ron Whitfield relied solely on personal attacks on Mufi. Win, lose, or draw, I kept it clean here on HT while the competition shook the ugly stick every opportunity they got. Hopefully, you all show more aloha towards each other in real life.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Just came back from Honolulu Hale.

Waited about 20 minutes to get in and out.....about 20 - 25 people give or take voting.

I deliberately chose not to vote for Sen. Dan, call me cynical. Yes he is still going to win, but when I see the final poll results on t.v. and see that his Democratic challenger got some votes...I will be pleased to know that one of those votes was mine.

He really lost me when he showed up on tv urging us to vote Democrat....that we MUST vote Democrat at all costs.

Comment

hi i voted for Di and he's the best as in senator's in washington.

i also voted for tgb tamayo for city council and sc for being a good hawaii's senator.

as everyone know's who'm i voted for and i hope the candidate's i voted for will win.not na who would wish to overturn ll's veto for civil union's.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

I take great pride that I debated the merits of the candidates on the issues, while you, Kaonohi and Ron Whitfield relied solely on personal attacks on Mufi. Win, lose, or draw, I kept it clean here on HT while the competition shook the ugly stick every opportunity they got. Hopefully, you all show more aloha towards each other in real life.
                        Hmmm, I suppose your constantly referring to Neil as being part of the "Old Boy Network" was your way of contributing to the clean, substantive political discussion on this forum, right?

But you go on right on ahead and tout yourself as HT's man with the white hat. Like the kid who saw the absurdity of the emperor proudly walking around naked and telling everybody about how great his new, invisible clothes looked, we all could use a good laugh.

Comment

The Washington Post does a write-up of Hawaii's gubernatorial battle on the Democratic side.

I like the "Aloha Spirit" that Mufi put on show for mainland readers when asked some tough questions about his infamous "Compare and Decide" flyer.

Most explosive, though, was the information under the heading "personal." Hannemann made clear he was born in Hawaii and married a woman with a distinctly Japanese last name -- a major plus with the powerful Japanese voters. By contrast, Abercrombie was identified as a mainlander whose wife has a haole (or white) surname.

The flier backfired, turning into an effective talking point against Hannemann's character. "When you apply for a job, what do they ask? Name? Are you married? That's what it was! It was a job résumé," insisted Hannemann. When asked whether it was usual practice to ask whom a job applicant was married to, the candidate flashed his temper. "You list if you are married or not. Sometimes you put down the names. My wife's name is what it is. It was not meant to compare and contrast in a way that would make it look like anything was non-factual. It was factual. He has a wife and she is a good woman. My wife's a good woman. Let's just leave it at that and move on. What's your next question?"

Asked if it weren't relevant to the race, he said sharply: "Why are you asking me these questions? Ask me about Neil. The flier was just a small part of it, there are other things here. So let's move on!"

Comment

Hmmm, I suppose your constantly referring to Neil as being part of the "Old Boy Network" was your way of contributing
                            I thought I was just pointing out the facts? In other elections, many would be proud to wear that moniker. Among other things, incumbency and seniority characterize that network. But if you somehow feel that Neil is not a part of that group, please be the first in this thread to finally vouch for him.

The Washington Post does a write-up of Hawaii's gubernatorial battle on the Democratic side.
                            A decidedly biased piece by an outsider who has clearly made up his mind beforehand. I didn’t think this kind of stuff still passed as journalism, but the writer does come up with at least one factually correct paragraph:

...his opponents, and especially Hannemann, have accused Abercrombie of depriving the president of votes on key legislation such as health care, by leaving office early to focus on his home-coming candidacy. The resulting special election cost the state more than $600,000 and, worse still, two Democrats split the vote and a popular Republican won.
                            Yeah... action speaks louder than words.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

It'll be close, for sure. Both candidates have significant support. I take great pride that I debated the merits of the candidates on the issues, while you, Kaonohi and Ron Whitfield relied solely on personal attacks on Mufi. Win, lose, or draw, I kept it clean here on HT while the competition shook the ugly stick every opportunity they got. Hopefully, you all show more aloha towards each other in real life.
                              Hmmm. Looks like you learned from us....
                              Not only is your message an obvious "ugly stick" for us, you're pretty good at patting yourself on the back.

In any case, it's a GOOD thing to keep a debate clean, but Mufi didn't do that; he's a MASTER of the "Ugly Stick," and I called 'em like I seen 'em.

As for you - congrats for trying to live up to some standards of decency.

Now, why don't you vote for a candidate that shares your values of decent debating?

-------------------------------------------------

Oh, and by the way, no 'we' don't show any aloha for each other in real life; we don't even talk.
                              Last edited by Kaonohi; September 16, 2010, 12:50 PM. Reason: Aloha
                              ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                              X