New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

This thread is set up for discussion of episodes and stories that air on the new "Hawaii Five-0" TV series that is set to debut on CBS Monday night, September 20.

Viewers in Honolulu will get a sneak peak of the pilot episode on September 13, Sunset on the Beach in Waikiki.

"Hawaii Five-0" viewers will have several opportunities to catch the show if they did not watch it at air time. Among the options:

* Record to your VCR
    * Record to your Tivo or other DVR device
    * Watch program stream on the CBS TV website*
    * Purchase episode from iTunes store or other online place if available.

* assuming CBS will stream the show.

As for episode spoilers, use the spoiler tag if you are posting the same day or before an episode airs in Hawaii.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...iki_Beach.html

How did this Hawaii 5-0 screening compare to the Lost screening?

Comment

Hmmm...HNN at 10 mentioned 10,000 people attended.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Hmmm...HNN at 10 mentioned 10,000 people attended.
        The Star-Advertiser estimated the crowd at being 5,000, half of HNN's figure. My personal observation from last night was that HNN's estimation was vastly exaggerated. In addition, the Waikiki parking garage where I have my monthly permit had a lot of available stalls last night. This was in sharp contrast to the season premiere screening of Lost earlier this year when this garage (as well as many of the other nearby lots) were packed to the gills, and the crowd was estimated at up to 12,000. Last night's attendance didn't look anywhere close to matching that.

But then again, KGMB/HNN is the station that will be airing Hawaii Five-0. Big shock! The news division of the local CBS affiliate padding the attendance number to hype the new show's popularity? Say it ain't so.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I definitely thought the LOST crowd was bigger. There seemed to be a lot more media at this event (the red carpet was longer!) I was very disappointed in how late the stars were and how late they screened the episode on the big screen.

I was on the press line in amongst the pandemonium. I didn't even get to interview or have my picture taken with Alex and he was the main one I wanted to talk to! That being said, he ignored half the media to go and talk to the fans (many of whom waited HOURS in the hot sun) so that earned him two big thumbs up in my book!

Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

I definitely felt the "Hawaii Five-0" screening was noticeably less crowded than the season opener for "LOST" in January. I found the declarations from the stage and by HNN (CBS affiliate, of course) that Monday's event was "biggest 'Sunset on the Beach' ever" to be annoying. No doubt every one is the biggest one ever according to each respective organizer.

As to the show itself, I posted a quick review on Facebook:
            Had fun at the "Hawaii Five-0" advance screening at Sunset on the Beach, but could barely post anything to Twitter thanks to AT&T's flimsy service in Waikiki. Way too many speeches and awkward stage management (Kirk Caldwell really shouldn't have tried to wing it, and why the heck was Mufi Hannemann even there?), but it was great to see Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park among the cast on stage.

As for the show? I liked it. Just enough humor, decent stunts and action, and of course Hawaii looks as great as always. The pidgin... wasn't horrible. I'm sure DDK helped as best he could. Catching made-up names and places will be fun (Kukui High School?). But there was definitely way too much gunplay (automatic weapons everywhere!), and poor Grace Park had not one, but two gratuitous skin scenes. Not that any of her fans will complain.

We'll be watching, and for the local cast and crew, hoping the show's a hit

Comment

When LOST started Season 1 way back in 2004, I don't recall there ever was a Sunset on the Beach for that show.

For the new Hawaii Five-0 to draw a couple of thousand people, sight unseen except for the actors and what little was revealed in the media and elsewhere up to premiere night, I think we can safely say that is is getting off with a good start. There was enough interest to at least draw a crowd, maybe not in the same proportion as the LOST finale, but a crowd it was. Not bad for a first time show with big shoes to fill.

The ultimate test for Hawaii Five-0's success is to maintain a high rating in its time slot with some consistency. It is up against ABC TV's Castle and a new show from NBC titled Chase.

The lead in show on CBS is a new comedy called Mike and Molly. CBS has a 2 hour comedy block before Five-0 airs.

The fact is Five-0 is regarded as a new show and competition is tough.

ABC will probably have a strong 2 hours before that as Dancing with the Stars returns to its time slot.

You can look at the day to day fall TV schedule here:

http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-...-schedule.aspx

Everyone knows Dancing With the Stars is quite a big hit. How much of that audience stays with ABC or turns the channel to something else remains to be seen. Castle is beginning its second year on ABC in the same slot.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                When LOST started Season 1 way back in 2004, I don't recall there ever was a Sunset on the Beach for that show.
                This is getting a bit far afield from "episode and storyline discussion," but I wanted to note that there was a screening for the series premiere of "LOST." In fact, scrivener was there. He told me at the time that I might like it. That was an understatement.

But contrary to common claim, the "Sunset on the Beach" premiere was not the first mass screening of the "LOST" pilot. It was shown at Comic-Con some time earlier.

Comment

For the new Hawaii Five-0 to draw a couple of thousand people, sight unseen except for the actors and what little was revealed in the media and elsewhere up to premiere night, I think we can safely say that is is getting off with a good start.
                  Well, Hawaii 5-0 is a 2.0 reboot. People already have expectations and will be making comparisons to the original. Whether it measures up to the high standards that Leonard Freeman, Jack Lord, and Co. set remains to be seen.

The ultimate test for Hawaii Five-0's success is to maintain a high rating in its time slot with some consistency. It is up against ABC TV's Castle and a new show from NBC titled Chase.

Everyone knows Dancing With the Stars is quite a big hit. How much of that audience stays with ABC or turns the channel to something else remains to be seen. Castle is beginning its second year on ABC in the same slot.
                  I don't see any rival network dethroning ABC from its king of the hill status on Monday primetime. Castle (beginning its third season, btw) has done a more than decent job of following up DWTS, even being able to outdraw some new episodes of CSI:Miami when both shows were in the same time slot last season. So yeah, the new H50 has got its work cut out.

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  Had fun at the "Hawaii Five-0" advance screening at Sunset on the Beach, but could barely post anything to Twitter thanks to AT&T's flimsy service in Waikiki. Way too many speeches and awkward stage management (Kirk Caldwell really shouldn't have tried to wing it, and why the heck was Mufi Hannemann even there?)
                  Why indeed? Heard more than a few boos and hisses when the Mufster was intro'ed. And did anyone else hear some guy yell out, "Don't sing!!!"
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

'Five-0' bright with action, wit and charm

..."Hawaii Five-0" -- the memorable theme song, the exotic locales, the colorful local characters, the rip-snortin' action, the traditional escalating four-act plot, the faintly ominous opening kicker that jolts into a breaking wave and opening montage -- and pump it all up into a modern high-def TV show, with more scenery and more grit and more action and way, way more volume.
                    Almost less than 24 hours before the new Five-0 makes its debut on CBS tomorrow night.

Also....

Hawaii Five-0 Back on the Beat
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Scott Caan's voice sounds like his dad James Caan.

Comment

Just got thru watching....

Not bad but has potential.....

I pretty much like everyone (pertaining to the MAIN cast). Alex O'Loughlin I am still warming up to.... However, nice to see shots of the islands. Will be watching definately.

Comment

This new 5-0 doesn't have the storyline for the guest star as the criminal. It's fun to see on the old 5-0 then unknown actors such as Christopher Walken, John Ritter, or Joe Moore get their start on the show.

Comment

Yep. One of the hallmarks of the classic series was that you got to see what the bad guys were doing as the crimes were either planned, or were in progress.... The week's villian(s) were often the main focus of each episode.

I hope they do that in upcoming shows.

The background music could be improved and incorporate more of the Morton Stevens theme into it like it was in the classic series.

The premiere was a good introduction to the 4 main characters... Steve, Danno, Chin and Kono.... plus the Governor. OK we got a core.

Love the gadgetry and the almost non-stop, shoot-em up, car chasing action... but I can live with less than that to get more insight into the weekly villian.

I know these days network TV programmers don't like long theme songs, but I wish the opening could be at least 50 to 60 seconds long vs. the new 30 second opening.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I think this episode shows some slice of Hawaii:
                              1. Showing that it actually rains in Hawaii
                              2. Steve and Chin Ho being football rivals during their high school days
                              3. Danny being the transplant and not trying to fit in
                              4. Danny's ringtone for his ex-wife
                              5. Chin Ho suggesting a long Hawaiian saying for the team's name

Did they recover the body from the harbor? There seemed to be no mention of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X