Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magnetic Anomaly - H-3

Originally posted by zff View Post
    What I was trying to say is it would be helpful if we knew of other locations where this happens.
    OK HTer's, buy car compasses, place them where they are visible while driving, and report in!

A good place is in the corner of the windshield and dashboard.

We have had already a report of an exit ramp at the airport showing some anomalies.

I have seen minor fluctuations elsewhere, but NOTHING like H-3's 180 reversal and uncontrolled spinning.

K?
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I know this is a old thread, but since you brought up the subject in the SA thread, I think there's likely a simple explanation.

The compass used in smartphones is a flux gate compass. They work on AC magnetic fields.

It's not unusual for roadways to have induction loops to sense traffic. Most commonly used to trigger traffic lights, but also used to sense traffic flow. Given that H-3 has it's own traffic office, it wouldn't surprise me to know that the highway has such sensors - which also work on AC magnetic field. If they're just the right frequency, they could well confuse a flux gate compass.

To scientifically test this, you need a mechanical compass, as well as investigating if the thing only affects certain brands/models of compasses (since I'd guess that different compasses could well work on different frequencies.).

As for the sign posted up thread, depending on where it's located, it may be nothing more then warning you that you're getting too close to a microwave link. Perhaps a cell phone tower.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        As for the sign posted up thread, depending on where it's located, it may be nothing more then warning you that you're getting too close to a microwave link. Perhaps a cell phone tower.
        Indeed,there is a cellphone tower there. Bzzzzzt! Microwaved Kaonohi!

However, all state agencies have not only denied the effect, refused to investigate it, they also seem ignorant of what you describe as common.

The Star-Advertiser has so far denied publication of the effect, as far as I know.

What's to hide? Perhaps the ignorance of the State of Hawaii....
        ~ ~

Comment

GeckoGeek, I seem to remember someone here observed this magnetic anomaly on a compass like this:

..and posted up a video. I wish I could find the link.

In fact, I thought it was Kaonohi who posted up the video. Kaonohi?

Comment

I recall from memory that a system of broadcasting radio via FM and AM was installed in the tunnels to warn drivers about dangerous road hazards.This system will confuse both a compass or GPS device.

Comment

The SA isn't sitting on the story. We just can't get an cogent explanation out of anyone, and the state refuses to allow access to do our own testing. I may simply spin it out as a "mystery" however.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

BTW, the entrance ramps to Honolulu Airport also have wild magnetic swings.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                  I recall from memory that a system of broadcasting radio via FM and AM was installed in the tunnels to warn drivers about dangerous road hazards.This system will confuse both a compass or GPS device.
                  I don't know why a broadcast system would confuse a compass - especially a mechanical one.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                    Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    I don't know why a broadcast system would confuse a compass - especially a mechanical one.
                    I was wondering that as well. Wouldn't that suggest that all broadcast AM & FM radio transmitters would adversely affect compasses & GPS devices? That would be a major problem worldwide.

Comment

I think somebody stole the grounding copper wire from the confunctionator again. Damned those copper thieves!
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The H-3 tunnel goes right through a mountain with large amounts of iron oxides (hence the red soil color) which may influence compass readings. GPS will certainly be hampered while operating in tunnels. The Hawaii road builders installed a radio transmitter in the H-3 tunnel to advise motorists of hazards.The transmitter used a form of phase modulation that the car radios of the time could hear.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                          ..and posted up a video. I wish I could find the link.

In fact, I thought it was Kaonohi who posted up the video. Kaonohi?
                          Hmmmm, I don't recall posting a video, just this thread. I've been through a couple computer crashes since then, and may have forgotten.

Oh, yeAH, just go back to post # 53 in this thread.
                          Last edited by Kaonohi; September 8, 2011, 05:51 PM.
                          ~ ~

Comment

It also occurred to me that the fans, lighting, etc., associated with the tunnels are likely attached to the roadbed, and likely on the leeward end.

This can explain the deflection, but not the variation.
                            ~ ~

Comment

The antenna in the tunnel was coaxial cable that was slotted every so often to allow the broadcast to "leak out" of the antenna..The slotted aperture antenna structure is now in wide use.As far as anomalous magnetic readings go, they may well exist.

Comment

Apparently, there are magnetic anomalies in Cappadocia Turkey that are attributed to volcanic activity. It's possible the causes here are similar. In this case they seem to be heavily localized in one area of the H-3, so I think any questions about this phenomena are best submitted to one well versed in geophysics.
                                Last edited by Vanguard; September 9, 2011, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X