Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is 101.5 now acid rock?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    My first memory was KGU, Kit Beuret and Heidi Chang, night times during the late 70s/early 80s.
    Anybody remember jazz trumpetist Don Cherry doing DJ duty for a few years in Honolulu during the late '70s? His jazz show was great and he always enjoyed talking on the phone whenever I'd call. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Cherry_(musician)
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Don't forget the late-eighties, which gave us the satellite station The Wave, where I first got turned on to the whole GRP stable and a few others.

In the early 90s, you could count on KTUH twice a day in three-hour blocks on weekdays to have good jazz. I subbed for a lot of jazz deejays when I was on staff there and usually spent my three hours playing fusion and "smooth jazz," a genre name I dislike. I named my program "Mitchell's Elektric City" after Chick Correa's excellent song (and band) and took the opportunity to discover lots of bands I still listen to, like Manteca, Special EFX, Steps Ahead, David Benoit (yes, I like him; I admit it), Hiroshima, and Spyro Gyra. Man, I had a lot of fun doing that program.
      The Wave sounds familiar but a satellite station? Not familiar with that except for todays Sirius and XM. How cool that you had a program. Strange...I've never listened to KTUH in my car. In my office and at home (Makaha) the reception wasn't acceptable. Speaking of "smooth jazz" as a genre name...I took a friend to one of Michael Paulo's concerts. At the end my friend, who thoroughly enjoyed it, looked at me and said..."Smooth jazz? That was like a rock concert"!!! BTW...I love David Benoit! Hopefully you don't feel you need to join a support group!
      Originally posted by zff View Post
      Tutusue, I'm sorry you've lost a radio station you loved, but I'm with scrivener and Pomai -- I LOVE the new format.
      [...]
      Does anyone know when they changed formats? I've seen the KROCK website, but they haven't got much there yet. They don't appear to have a Facebook page yet either.
      Thanks, ZFF. But, in lifes big picture, the loss isn't even a blip! I have my trusty iPod for the car! I don't have an exact date for change but it might've been on or around Feb. 1.

The good news? You rockers have a new station!

Comment

Tutusue...God bless you! Even though you lost a format you enjoyed, you congratulated a group for getting one that they will enjoy. How refreshing it is to see a comment that isn't the message board equivalent of sticking a flamethrower through the window.

And today, there are so many convenient musical alternatives that losing a format really isn't that big of a deal. Anyone with an iPod or the ability to access the Internet in their car can find anything they wish to hear.

OK, my break is over...back to my voiceovers....

Comment

DaleP...Thx. I feel bad for the jazz-loving community and the advertisers. iPods and the like impact that negatively. While 101.5 has moved to another station, its hours have been cut back. I really hope there isn't a trickle down that impacts clubs and larger concerts. And I hope the advertisers stick with the new station. It looks like history is repeating itself, however.

Comment

Working...
          X