Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Unsettled Economy & The Bailout

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    Can we please have a specific example of President Obama morally disMANTLing society. Please.
    I don't know of any example nor evidence of the above allegation. Economically and Technology-wise, I'm kinda pissed that the stimulus bill that was hastily passed did not include broadband tax credit. That means we're stuck with a very slow internet speed while the rest of the world is zooming past us.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...stimulus-bill/
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Back briefly to economics. Bush's War in Iraq is now estimated to have cost a TRILLION DOLLARS. So far. Bet the country'd love to have that money back.

Comment

Bush's War in Iraq is now estimated to have cost a TRILLION DOLLARS..
        But remember Kalalau we were mantling America's moral fabric with that trillion dollars. ha, ha, ha!
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I never imagined I could possibly look at a congressional debate about $700 billion as involving chicken feed, but compared to Mr. Bush's War, its actually kind of insignificant. Amazing.

Comment

I never imagined I could possibly look at a congressional debate about $700 billion as involving chicken feed, but compared to Mr. Bush's War, its actually kind of insignificant. Amazing.
            I dunno. I'm not one to put a price tag on wars. Makes us sound mercenary.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

• Re: Nabobinator! Now that's gold!

The economic stimulus package that was passed is only more evidence that Obama isn't going to be the "miracle bullet" solution a lot of his voters were hoping for (or dare I say were "deluded" into believing). An economic stimulus bill that spends money in areas that won't create jobs isn't really going to help the economy in any significant way anytime soon.

And a lot of the money is not set for spending until 2010. I don't see how spending in 2010 will help the economy now.

Not to mention the rumored $1 trillion bailout that is coming to the table in the near future!

To put things in perspective: If we took the $800 billion+ dollars that Obama pushed for in this stimulus and just divided it equally among EVERY tax paying citizen, we'd all get over $2500. And that's if you include children and the rich. Honestly speaking I'd rather have $2500 in my pocket to go out and spend (thus injecting it back into the economy) than have the stimulus that was passed.
              Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
                The economic stimulus package that was passed is only more evidence that Obama isn't going to be the "miracle bullet" solution a lot of his voters were hoping for (or dare I say were "deluded" into believing). An economic stimulus bill that spends money in areas that won't create jobs isn't really going to help the economy in any significant way anytime soon.
                You're entitled to your opinion and speculations. But just to let you know, it is far from a universal opinion.

Taking a look at how other people feel about the situation: Gallup found a significant margin of difference between the job rating approval of congressional Democrats and Republicans. Democrats (who along with Obama, pushed for the stimulus) had a 43% approval, while the GOP (all 100% of them in the House and all but 3 in the Senate voting against the stimulus package) had 19% approval. This, compared to the same poll numbers from January (18% for Dems and 23% for the GOP). Obama's approval rating in the same poll now stands at 62%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/114670/Co...ing-Jumps.aspx

Granted, poll numbers do change. But as of now, a greater portion of the public is on the side of Obama and the Democrats. It doesn't appear that the Republicans' obstructionist position is connection with many voters. Appears that the GOP congressional delegate are taking their cue from Rush Limbaugh, who has publicly stated that he hopes Obama's efforts to revive the economy will fail. Too bad that Rush and his fellow Dittoheads are putting party politics before the best interests of the country.
                Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 18, 2009, 09:04 PM.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I dunno about anyone else but I'm willing to give Obama more time to sink or swim. He's only been in office...what...30 days? How can anyone make a judgement based on so little time?

Comment

Honestly speaking I'd rather have $2500 in my pocket to go out and spend (thus injecting it back into the economy) than have the stimulus that was passed.
                    That would be a big mistake. That would be highly inflationary and would make matters worse. That would be only a short term solution.

There are many aspects of the stimulus package that cause me concern. However, I do support the strategy that solutions must include long range programs. I also do not agree with your assertion that some programs will not create jobs. That is not looking at the bigger picture. Yes, some programs do not directly create jobs, but any money infused into the economy will create jobs indirectly.

What the nation has now, that it hasn't had in years, is hope and optimism. But I will still monitor our President closely. I am totally opposed to the troop buildup in Afghanistan, for example. I will hold Obama accountable as much as I held W accountable.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I am in no way saying that I think that the Republicans had a better plan, but rather that the stimulus that was passed was not the one we needed. Actions to regulate heatlh care do nothing to help the economy now.

And I agree that long term spending is needed to ensure a future stable economy, but that long term spending money could have come out of future bills later this year rather than the economic stimulus that should be allocating money for now and not 2 years down the line.

Looking at the plan I just don't think that we are creating nearly as many jobs as we feasibly could with $800 billion. And that's my main problem with the overall stimulus.
                      Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                        I don't know of any example nor evidence of the above allegation. Economically and Technology-wise, I'm kinda pissed that the stimulus bill that was hastily passed did not include broadband tax credit. That means we're stuck with a very slow internet speed while the rest of the world is zooming past us.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...stimulus-bill/
                        Getting rid of the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in the military and approving U.S. tax $ to fund abortions overseas during the first week of his presidency is a ton of dismanteling, I'd say.

Comment

You conveniently forget that the Democrat Congress overwhelmingly approved the war as well.

Comment

I am in no way saying that I think that the Republicans had a better plan, but rather that the stimulus that was passed was not the one we needed. Actions to regulate heatlh care do nothing to help the economy now.

And I agree that long term spending is needed to ensure a future stable economy, but that long term spending money could have come out of future bills later this year rather than the economic stimulus that should be allocating money for now and not 2 years down the line.

Looking at the plan I just don't think that we are creating nearly as many jobs as we feasibly could with $800 billion. And that's my main problem with the overall stimulus.
                            I think the Republican plan would have been a lot better, inasmuch as it wouldn't have included social programs and all the pork the Democrats threw in that does not create jobs. That's total B*l&S_it! The thing that really gets me is the $5M to ACORN.

Bottom line is: The government can't stimulate anything by spending our money. It's like killing the goose and saying we hope and pray for more eggs. How stupid is that? The government can create short-term work, but it can't create jobs.

Obama wants to fund shovel ready infrastructure projects. Yeah, right. Did you know that this plan won't take effect until 2010? You can't just build something out of thin air. There's a lot of planning and procurement hoops to jump over. The Republican's position to offer more tax increases would take effect immediately. Now THAT would stimulate the economy and let the crooks fall where they should.
                            Last edited by Bobinator; February 19, 2009, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Bailing out giant corporations should be against everything any card carrying liberal believes in. Don't you remember....Big Corporate America is the bad guy. Or so the saying goes. Now Dems want to prop up those same people they villify. Just more cognitive dissonance from the left. Too funny.

Shovel ready projects .... thats funny too. Don't forget the EIS, Public Hearings, Traffic Studies, and a zillion other hurdles that have been created over the past 35 years by concerned, do-gooding libs. All to "protect us."

Overseas abortions......are you kidding me? I want to hear from anybody on this forum who agrees with that cockamamy idea.

And I very much agree with Tutu that we need to give President Obama a little more time. He's off to a rocky start, but I, and every other rightie I know agree on one thing for certain......

HE IS MY PRESIDENT. And that simple fact torches the left.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                                You conveniently forget that the Democrat Congress overwhelmingly approved the war as well.
                                Based on bogus and manufactured intelligence provided by W.

Comment

Working...
                                X