Battleship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battleship

Saw the promo during the Super Bowl for this new sci-fi movie Battleship, looked pretty exciting. Anybody know about it? Almost makes me want to do something I havn't done in decades, go to the movies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_(film)
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; February 5, 2012, 03:08 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Battleship

According to IMDb and the Apple Movie Trailer sites the movie Battleship opens on May 18, 2012.

Parts of it was filmed in Hawaii but its been more than 1 to 2 years ago.

Comment

George, at the liquor connection (Ward Warehouse) says he had a bit part in the movie - that's enough reason for me to go; to see George on the big screen again.

He said it's based on the old board game "Battleship." Go figure.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

A friend of mine is playing the chairman of the Joint Chiefs. He's in the trailer. He was actually hired on the film as a military technical advisor.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Saw this movie at the Ward Theater this afternoon with a friend.

Its a movie with a mix of scifi, alien invasion, action, scenes of Hawaii, some silly scenes, and not much of a romance story thrown in.

Overall an average movie with some good and bad things that cancel each other out, for instance there is a plot point that the concept of how the Battleship game gets into the movie, in terms of how one ship is able to target its weapons against the enemy, but in order for that to happen there is not enough things in real life to make it happen.

There is a kind of long scene after all the credits are done.

Comment

Do we get to watch Honolulu being destroyed in this movie?

Hmm.... that sounded worse than I meant it. It's not like I would want to see anything bad actually happen here -- but after watching cities like New York and LA get blown up over and over in countless scifi/action flicks, I think it would be entertaining to watch that special effects destruction rain down on someplace I'm familar with.

Comment

In describing the movie to friends without giving anything away, I said that Battleship has the same look and feel as Independence Day. Whatever was good and bad about Independence Day applies to Battleship.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                Do we get to watch Honolulu being destroyed in this movie?
                Destroyed no, damage oh yeah.
                Last edited by helen; May 21, 2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

From the Wikipedia synopsis:
                  On the chance that it[the extrasolar planet] contains intelligent life, NASA transmits a powerful signal from a communications array in Hawaii, which will be boosted by a satellite in orbit.
                  That doesn't make any sense.
                  Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                    Quote:
                    On the chance that it[the extrasolar planet] contains intelligent life, NASA transmits a powerful signal from a communications array in Hawaii, which will be boosted by a satellite in orbit.
                    That doesn't make any sense.
                    Evidently they are alluding to the planet Niburu, which is entering our msolar system as we speak, and will allegedly be here By December 21, 2012, hastening our demise into destruction....

Google it.
                    ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      Google it.
                      I don't need to google Niburu -- I'll take your word for it. I meant that it wouldn't make sense to boost a powerful electromagnetic signal with a satellite. Whoever wrote that copy must think that you would amplify such a signal by a sort of ether fan, that would add speed to a signal flow to make an already powerful signal even more powerful, to punch its way through the ether to Niburu (as Doc Smith might have put it).
                      Greg

Comment

I suspect in real life if you want a satellite to send a powerful signal to space you either have the satellite do it or build/launch another satellite with more broadcasting power instead of having a ground station to be the source of the signal.

But in the Battleship movie there is a plot related reason why the ground station/satellite setup is there.

Comment

Mostly I went because my friend, George O'Hanlon, who runs the Liquor Collection at Ward warehouse, had a part playing a Missouri Museum Docent (Kinda like a museum guide), and I wanted to see him on-screen. I was not disappointed. He did his part well.

The rest of the movie was fun. Humans vs. aliens, all kinds of technological differences and adaptations. I don't want to spill too much, so I'm holding back.

Know I recommend it, and after, go down to the Liquor Collection and freak George out with a 'you look familiar' thing - weren't you the docent on the USS Missouri in "Battleship?"

He'd get a big charge out of it.
                          ~ ~

Comment

Fun flick - saw it yesterday. Know people who had background (extra) parts - including the all-hands-on-deck scene when the Admiral is addressing the multi-nation troops prior to RIMPAC. If you've seen it, you know how WHITE those sailer suits are when masses of Navy guys are standing in formation. Guy I know who was in the scene said that craft services did no one any favors when they laid out the lunch menu for that day's shoot: spaghetti. More than a few uniform 'casualties' that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                              Fun flick - saw it yesterday. Know people who had background (extra) parts - including the all-hands-on-deck scene when the Admiral is addressing the multi-nation troops prior to RIMPAC. If you've seen it, you know how WHITE those sailer suits are when masses of Navy guys are standing in formation. Guy I know who was in the scene said that craft services did no one any favors when they laid out the lunch menu for that day's shoot: spaghetti. More than a few uniform 'casualties' that day.

I also heard the extras were forbidden to use napkins during the meal.

How cruel!

Comment

Working...
                              X