7. Emo Philips
    8. Jay Leno
    9. Jeff Dunham
    10. Pauly Shore
    11. Carrot Top
    12. Yakov Smirnoff

Comment

Re: Newsweek - 12 Comics Who Aren't Funny

Russell Brand: He looks like he should be in The Pirates of the Caribbean movie.
      Yahoo Serious: At least the internet service is named after him.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        Can you think of any others?
        I would like to add:

Dennis Miller

the "comic" who appears on Keith Olbermann occassionally (surprised I can't remember his name)
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Not sure if these are considered to be "comics", but
          Will Ferrell
          Adam Sandler
          Steve Carrell
          Jim Carrey
          Jack Black
          Seth Rogan

Or anyone else off the SNL circuit that does slapstick, stupid movies like these. Just my opinion, as I hate these kinds of movies. But I really cannot stand these unfunny men.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

SG - I agree with your choices except for Steve Carrell & Jack Black. I do enjoy both of them but as "actors" rather than "comedians". Carrell is as funny as his lines are written. Have you seen "Little Miss Sunshine"? and Jack Black is pretty funny, in a comic movie. But again, that just depends on the script. Would I pay to see any of them do a "stand-up" routine? Definitely NO!

Jim Carrey USED to be funny when he was on tv on that show "Living Color". But, I don't think he is very funny now.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

SG, I believe we're talking about people who stand in front of an audience and tell jokes. What you have are comic actors, some of whom probably have done standup, but if they have, I haven't heard of it.

The Newsweek list is surprisingly accurate. I would probably add Richard Belzer to that list ('though he's great on SVU or whatever show that is) and take off Carrot Top who manages to be pretty clever sometimes.

I understand his appeal to young people, and I have several of his recordings, but Dane Cook is the kind of funny that definitely seems to elude most people over twenty-five. It's mostly about delivery in his case, and the way he will talk about some things other comics don't. I've tried to explain this to my students who LOVE Cook, but to no avail. They do agree with me that it's his delivery that makes him memorable, however, so I'm not giving up hope on them.

Jeff Dunham's popularity is a complete mystery to me.

Matapule, I totally understand why some people don't find Dennis Miller funny, but his standup can be SOOO good. He's lost his edge, no doubt, but at his best he was one of my favorites.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                take off Carrot Top who manages to be pretty clever sometimes.

I totally understand why some people don't find Dennis Miller funny, but his standup can be SOOO good. He's lost his edge, no doubt, but at his best he was one of my favorites.
                The Top shouldn't have pumped himself up. That career move went the way of Joe Piscipo.

I enjoy both Dennis Miller from the right, and Bill Maher from the left. I guess I'm a flip flop, flippity flop. I like to change my mind, and no make hard head.

Jeanne Garafalo who has good roles on tv and movies takes her personal views too seriously. There should be a game show of "make Jeanne Garafalo smile."

Comment

Bill Cosby for obvious reasons.

Comment

Kathy Griffin
                    Sarah Silverman

Comment

Dane Cook Accused of Hosting 'Game Night' Parties With Teen Girls. (msn.com)

Dane Cook isn't funny. And now got creepier when getting older.

Comment

What Happened To Dane Cook? Why The Comedy Wunderkind Fell Out Of The Limelight (msn.com)

People don't find you funny when you have a weird off stage life.

Comment

James Corden Reacts After Being Called Out for Nearly Identical Ricky Gervais Joke (yahoo.com)

Is James Corden considered a comic?

Comment

10 Worst Comedians Ever According to Reddit (msn.com)

Funny is not funny.

Comment

Russell Brand’s Rant About MSNBC, Rachel Maddow Goes Viral (yahoo.com)

I never found Russell Brand funny. He has that Dennis Miller type of hard to understand what he said. Now, Russell Brand looks like Charles Manson with a British accent.

Comment

Working...
                              X