Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: December 2012

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    Current estimate is around 40 times, not 6 or 7. Oldest found - 195,000 years old.
    If this calander is cyclical then it should go back as far as when the Earth was created which would be in the what billions or millions of years?

My sister should get a kick outta this event since her birthday is on December 21st.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      My sister should get a kick outta this event since her birthday is on December 21st.
      Make sure you get her one of those "today is the first day of the rest of your life"-type cards.

Comment

http://www.starbulletin.com/features...ay_denied.html
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Make sure you get her one of those "today is the first day of the rest of your life"-type cards.
          I would but she's a Jehova's Witness. I'll bet if the end of the world happens on 12/21/12, the JW's would have never seen it coming since the JW that comes to my house every Saturday hasn't mentioned anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
            Current estimate is around 40 times, not 6 or 7. Oldest found - 195,000 years old.
            Amazing! Thanks for the correction - I was unaware of the latest fossil data from the 2005 study.

K
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Surlygirly said this:

"As for 2012- well, the Bible says God will come back like a thief in the night, when no one is suspecting it. I would venture a guess that a lot of people will be suspecting it all that year. So maybe not the best choice, huh?"

And that is how I feel, too. My husband's kinda into it and reading all about it, etc., but since I firmly believe in the word of God, I'm not buying the Mayan stuff. I suspect God knows more than the Mayans--or anyone else--ever did!

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
                And that is how I feel, too. My husband's kinda into it and reading all about it, etc., but since I firmly believe in the word of God, I'm not buying the Mayan stuff. I suspect God knows more than the Mayans--or anyone else--ever did!
                Certainly the Supreme Being knows more than we mere mortals, but how can we tell what is from God and what is from man (and possibly influenced by fallen angels)?

According to the Mormon Word of God, Jesus also came to the Americas; perhaps he gave the Mayan Indians the calendar? What is the "right" religion? The Catholic Church of Rome, founded by Peter? "Thy name is now Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church." Or the Protester churches founded by Martin Luther? Or is it someone else???? Maybe me? Maybe YOU!

As far as he KJV of the Jewish/Christian Bible goes, the apostle Paul said many things that contradicted the Words of Jesus, and Jesus said, "All these things will happen before this generation passeth away."

If you depend on faith, blind faith, for your security and guidance, that is your decision. But let us not judge others (I'm not saying you are) if they want to research and compare various revelations from other cultures to help find the truth.

Speak your truth to those who listen, and listen to others in case they may find a truth from God that the pagan emperor Constantine decided shouldn't be included in the "official" Bible as dictated by a pagan Roman emperor.

Perhaps there is "one truth" - no, I'm certain there is "one truth." However, I am also certain that mankind does not yet know it, because of negative (satanic?) influences upon our efforts. I think it is incumbent upon us all to "seek" so we shall find. "Ye that have ears, let ye hear!"

We know the basics; start there. Ask your spiritual connection (Yahweh, Jesus, Allah, whomever) for guidance. Follow your path and if you are revealed to be a prophet, share your prophesies.

As for me, I am certain that there is a higher power in the Universe, and as intelligent, evolved parts of that creation we enjoy a special place in the creation.

This does not mean we don't have to strive, to work, to LEARN....
                That's our job:
                We can know the creator by:
                1. studying the creation,
                2. examining critically those texts(works) that came before us,
                3. examining the teachings in light of personal experience,
                4. putting our conclusions into actions,
                and seeing whether it makes a better world.

Mine do.
                I will not pretend to know everything - I do not.

I study. I strive to understand. More, I strive to not be misled.

Do good works, even though that will not save you, it is right.
                Love ye one another - the most important directive in all of time.

K
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I didn't mean to turn this into a religious debate. Truthfully- the fact that this could be ending so soon scares me very much. I know I could die tomorrow or next week. But thinking about all the horrible, awful things the History Channel shows and all the supposed fires and plagues and wars, along with the fact that I don't feel as though I've fulfuilled whatever purpose I've been put here for yet- having it all end in 2 years just scares me. Like COMPLETELY freaks me out. And what I said above about God coming back when no one expects it is really the only little bit of "proof" I have that it won't happen. Other things in the Bible contradict that, sure. And, yes, it's easy to delude myself into holding onto one little line from a Bible when I don't even go to Church anymore. But the mind is a powerful thing, and if that's what keeps me calm, I'm gonna hang onto that.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                    ... and if that's what keeps me calm, I'm gonna hang onto that.
                    That, and stop watching the History Channel for a couple of years.

Comment

Hear, hear Leo. I cannot watch that stuff for long without fears seeping into my consciousness.

Another idea from the Bible I like to remember is that your eyes are the window to your heart. What you put in front of the eyes can imbed itself in your heart, so "be careful little eyes what you see" is not only for children.

My DH loves to watch post-Armageddon movies, and there are quite a few out there; not just Dr. Strangelove. He was watching a particular one entitled Threads, and I had to leave the room. Too much for me. It took me a week to get the stuff out of my head.

I'm just a wuss when it comes to some things. Well, really, a lot of things.

Comment

That, and stop watching the History Channel for a couple of years.
                        Better yet, just get rid of the TV, then you won't have to watch the "news" like balloon boy, politicians mindless ramblings, scripted reality TV,
                        the stock market, and other nonsense.

Ignorance is bliss, and matapule is VERY blissful!
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                          Hear, hear Leo. I cannot watch that stuff for long without fears seeping into my consciousness.

Another idea from the Bible I like to remember is that your eyes are the window to your heart. What you put in front of the eyes can imbed itself in your heart, so "be careful little eyes what you see" is not only for children.

My DH loves to watch post-Armageddon movies, and there are quite a few out there; not just Dr. Strangelove. He was watching a particular one entitled Threads, and I had to leave the room. Too much for me. It took me a week to get the stuff out of my head.
                          I don't watch the Armageddon shows on the History Channel. But there's really nothing you can do about the commercials. They're there before you can hit the mute button or change the channel. And a lot of people are talking about it lately with the movie having come out. Kind of hard to stick your head in the sand entirely. Besides, it's one of those things that's kind of been at the back of my mind since I was a kid. Crazy, I know.

Comment

Now if our elected officials tell us our bad economy will be over in two years, I'd be really worried cuz if 2012 is for real, then Obama's spending has no means to the end, just an end.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              Better yet, just get rid of the TV, then you won't have to watch the "news" like balloon boy, politicians mindless ramblings, scripted reality TV, the stock market, and other nonsense.
                              I take one of matapule's earlier suggestions, and get my news from HT now!
                              Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                              Besides, it's one of those things that's kind of been at the back of my mind since I was a kid. Crazy, I know.
                              Yeah, but we LIKE crazy here.

Comment

I take one of matapule's earlier suggestions, and get my news from HT now!
                                Yeah, but we LIKE crazy here.
                                Whew! I'm safe then!

Comment

Working...
                                X