Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smaller cars in Hawaii?

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
    The reason cars have gotten bigger is because of Government Safety Guidelines. With airbags and all that other safety equipment that has to be installed.
    No way Jose!, otherwise we wouldn't have cars like the SMART or FIT. Nice try blaming safety standards but if ain't gonna fly.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
      The reason cars have gotten bigger is because of Government Safety Guidelines. With airbags and all that other safety equipment that has to be installed.
      I've been joking out of frustration that cars/trucks have been getting wider and bigger because of the rising obesity epidemic. People (and some of their pets!) can't fit inside smaller vehicles anymore.

And as someone who's currently looking for a small hatchback, I can certainly understand why they're so popular, especially in HI. I mean, seriously, look at our parking spaces. Parking garages have to park us in like sardines to accommodate all the people at various places--and there's STILL not enough parking many times. Every time I go to the Mainland, I feel like I'm parking my car in a mansion, that's how much bigger the spaces seem to be. And f course, then there's the fuel economy...

I prefer a hatchback to a small pickup because I don't have to constantly worry that I adequately tied down whatever I'm trying to haul. Nothing more fun than driving behind someone on the freeway, and then all of a sudden you see a bag come unsecured and blown by the wind directly at your windshield...

Here's some stuff that was rather interesting on the subject of small pickups:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/01...n-detroit.html

And plenty of point already touched upon here are continued in this one:
      http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...mpact-pickups/

Comment

Speedtek is correct about size of vehicles getting bigger for safety. Even the Honda Fit has gotten a bit larger for better crash ratings. Stronger B-Pillers allow for greater roll-over protection. Bigger butts and active rear headrests to reduce rear-end injuries.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has mandated that all 2011 vehicles must pass higher safety marks than in 2010. It is for that reason is why the 2011 Toyota Camry which for years had an overall 5-star safety rating was given only 3-stars for their 2011 model year. Honda on the other hand got an overall 5-star safety rating.

Stronger steel (59% stronger) on the front and rear of the car as well as larger B-Pillars (for NHTSA side impact) meant larger girths to handle the added steel and crumple zones to minimize impact entry into the passenger cabin. These design changes made the vehicle wider and taller.

Larger diameter tires also allowed for more distance per tire rotation giving newer model year cars better fuel economy. Larger diameters means bigger wheel wells. To accomodate a better ride on larger wheels, the wheelbase had to be extended out making the car longer.

So is the Honda Fit less safer than the Honda Accord? No. They are equally safe even against each other due to the designs of the crumple zones and the added benefit of ACE or Advanced Compatibility Engineering that allows frontal kinetic impact force to be distributed around the passenger compartment, not thru it.

Tutu's Honda Insight also incorporates these safety features. The Insight has ACE, the Prius has nothing even close to it. In a head on collision, I'd put my money on the Insight to save my life.

I've sold both Hondas and Toyotas. There is a big difference. That's why my mother is out of her Toyota Matrix and into a Honda Fit.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig...did I read somewhere that all 2011 Insights come equipped with ESC, including the LX? When I leased my 2010 I got the EX specifically because it had ESC when the LX didn't. The salesman tried to tell me the ESC wasn't important because we don't drive in snow. Bull-honkies, I told him...I want ESC! A week after I got the car I had to do a very fast, hard swerve to avoid being hit by a car and was so thankful for the ESC, whether or not it came into play! Lovin' my Insight and will probably get another one in 21 months!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Craig...did I read somewhere that all 2011 Insights come equipped with ESC, including the LX? When I leased my 2010 I got the EX specifically because it had ESC when the LX didn't. The salesman tried to tell me the ESC wasn't important because we don't drive in snow. Bull-honkies, I told him...I want ESC! A week after I got the car I had to do a very fast, hard swerve to avoid being hit by a car and was so thankful for the ESC, whether or not it came into play! Lovin' my Insight and will probably get another one in 21 months!
            ESC is the industry standard for Electronic Stability Control. Honda calls it VSC for Vehicle Stability Control. And yes the 2010 model year LX Insight lacked that feature. Honda realized that was not in line with their philosophy of "Safety for Everyone" and has incorporated it in all their models from the base line Fit to the Fully loaded Pilot Touring and the Odyssey Touring Elite. VSC is offered as standard on all 2011 and 2012 model year Insights as well.

VSC is critically important. So important that the NHTSA will be mandating them in all future automobiles along with Daytime Running Lights (both of which are standard on most Honda vehicles and all 2011 and later model years.

Comment

I bought a 99 conversion van, captains chair, sofa that changes to a bed, etc. Love it, not hurting too bad keeping 50 or 60 bucks in it and even playfully daydreaming about shipping it to Oahu and just parking wherever when I need some zzzz's. Any idea's how long I would be able to do that before having to give up and rent a place?
              If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Anyone own a Kia Soul?
                My wife and I are considering getting a 2011 or 2010.
                I like the utility factor of the large hatchback area with back seats down, fuel economy...

Any pointers or reviews would be appreciated!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Have you checked edmunds.com, MM?

Comment

I think I would not be interested in this vehicle because of the stupid dancing rodent commercials. When we're out and about and spot a SOUL, the comment is: "Look! A rat car!"

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                      Anyone own a Kia Soul?
                      I like the utility factor of the large hatchback area with back seats down, fuel economy...

The Scion xB would be its most direct form factor competitor. I think you are shopping for a pre-own? If new, then look at the 2012 model because they upgraded the engine and trans so it gets more power with better mpg. Happy car shopping!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        Anyone own a Kia Soul?

About a year ago, my coworker considered buying a Kia Soul. I have good friends (husband and wife) who own two, so I asked them how they liked their Souls. Here's the wife's response [with names edited out]:

Originally posted by zff's friend
                        We love love love our Kia Souls...note plural.

[My sister] bought one, then I bought our first. Then my mother bought one. Then my neighbor saw ours, loved it, test drove one and then he bought one too. Then the warranty on our Mini expired...so [my husband] bought one. So there are two Kia Souls in our garage (lots of soul in our family!)

Its good on mileage, I love the bluetooth feature (I believe up to 4 phones can be programmed into the system), the leg room for the people in back is great ([my son] is over 6 feet tall and he is comfortable sitting in back when we travel as a family). Great cargo space. I always keep the back seats down unless we have passengers. [Our dog]'s crate fits comfortable in back and a passenger can sit next to her. Their service is excellent too. Can't say enough about it. We love love love Kia Souls. Tell your friend to test drive one....best Costco car..and I've packed three sets of golf clubs with 3 small suitcases and 3 adults - its just the best! Oh yeah...and I love it!

Comment

Thanks zff!
                          Sounds like they're really sold on Souls!
                          I don't base any purchases on the worthy-ness of it's commercials. Though these are funny.
                          It's whether the item fits my needs, price range and has a good customer satisfaction rating.
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

check the resale value. Also compare ride quality with others in the same class.

Comment

I used to have an associate that worked in Alaska in a hush-hush position at
                              an old radar camp.
                              Things got really boring up there because there were no members of the opposite
                              persuasion and no bottles of special catalyst, anyway.
                              One day the boys on the base heard about a new installation going in a
                              few klicks away.
                              The temptation to visit the nurses and all the warehouse had was strong.
                              Those guys strapped a jato bottle on the top of the station wagon and when
                              it fired the crew went flying off into a swamp .
                              The navigator had not figured in the hairpin turn to the right.
                              After ignition that old ford falcon got to almost 180 kilometers per hour.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                                Those guys strapped a jato bottle on the top of the station wagon and when it fired the crew went flying off into a swamp .
                                If true, it could be the basis of the JATO Rocket Car story.

Comment

Working...
                                X