Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Honua > The American Asylum
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 29th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Ali`i

Default The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 4

There is no requirement that presidential candidates have any experience as senators much less a certain number of days as senators so the number of days Obama was a senator is somewhat irrelevant to whether he'd be a good president.
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Kumu

Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri View Post
There is no requirement that presidential candidates have any experience as senators much less a certain number of days as senators so the number of days Obama was a senator is somewhat irrelevant to whether he'd be a good president.
Well of course there is no required experience. It would be very helpful however. John McCain has extensive political and military experience. Obama was NO military experience with a war on terror going on and little political experience.
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Ali`i

How many days of experience does Sarah Palin have as Senator? How many days of experience did Reagan have in Congress? Carter, Clinton, W?

Experience in Congress does not necessarily have anything to do with whether someone would make a good President or not. According to my research only about half of American Presidents had Congressional experience. In fact, the person who most people regard as the greatest President, Washington, had no Congressional experience. While the person most people consider the worst, Harding, came from the Senate.

There are many good reasons why you may not want to vote for Obama, AlohaKine, but don't let yourself be manipulated by this amateurish and irrelevant email. Research both candidate's positions, style, and relevance and then decide who you want to vote for.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapule View Post
According to my research only about half of American Presidents had Congressional experience.
This website has the research all charted out!

My favorite US President Theodore Roosevelt had so little experience. Wow!
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
John McCain has extensive political and military experience. Obama was NO military experience with a war on terror going on and little political experience.
How much military experience did FDR and Churchill have? (I'll give you a hint, you won't like the answer.) AlohaKine your arguments are irrelevant.

Don't vote for Obama because of his stand on abortion, or entitlements, or social security. Pick a good reason not to vote for him, not something that has no relevance.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Dang, Vanguard, you are good! How do you come up with this stuff so fast and right on topic?

Old September 30th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

Quote:
'From the time Barack Obama was sworn in as a United State Senator, to the time he announced he was forming a Presidential exploratory committee, he logged 143 days of "experience" in the Senate. That's how many days the Senate was actually in session and working. After 143 days of work "experience," Obama believed he was ready to be Commander In Chief, Leader of the Free World .... 143 days.
As opposed to Sarah Palin who has 0 (zero) days of experience as a United States senator. What an absurd email you’ve chosen to litter the HT forum with, Alohakine. Yet another “blind partisan” on this board. Any relationship to Nancy Pelosi?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
I got this e-mail about Obama today. It's pretty good.

Subject: 143 Days

Yeah,.... pretty good. Right.

The experience argument for McCain. Pretty much trashed ever since he picked Sarah Palin to be his running mate.

Here's something a little more fresh than a stale e-mail.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_129956.html
Old September 30th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Ali`i

Does anyone think that the cast member on SNL who plays Obama sound anything like him?
Old September 30th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Does anyone think that the cast member on SNL who plays Obama sound anything like him?
Just slightly; similar speech pattern but not voice. As I mentioned in the Palin thread, there was an Obama impersonator on Leno a couple of months ago who was great. Looked and sounded like him. That's who I'd like to see on SNL.
Old September 30th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Dang, Vanguard, you are good! How do you come up with this stuff so fast and right on topic?
This. Kidding! Thanks for the kind words!
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
And the cast member who plays McCain, looks more like Clinton in my opinion, but it's all funny.

Old September 30th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
The McCain/Palin campaign has claimed that Palin's executive experience as mayor then governor is more significant than legislative experience, and indeed, the charts show that only two presidents in the lowest performance quartile, Johnson and Tyler, had prior experience as governor.
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:22 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
And the cast member who plays McCain, looks more like Clinton in my opinion, but it's all funny.
When will SNL run a best of with a presidential theme? You can see how different Daryl Hammond look in the 1990's to the present Bill Clinton.
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM
Ali`i

Watch this 30 second video to show how FAIR AND BALANCED Faux News is. I would be sad if it weren't so laughable.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Ali`i

There was a lot of hype surrounding the VP debate. 69.9 million viewers tuned in, mostly to see which Sarah Palin would show up. The one who wowed the GOP convention in St. Paul, or the one who resembled a train wreck in front of the mike with Katie Couric. Fortunately for Palin and her political future, the audience was treated to the former, for the most part.

But looking at the bigger picture of the overall presidential race, it was a push. It didn't change the dynamics of the race. And while the veep debate was the biggest political story yesterday, another story has been somewhat overlooked. But if you ask me, it was a much more significant story: McCain's campaign pulling up stakes in Michigan, and its implications on the race.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/stump...-on-nov-4.aspx

Remember during the primary season: despite all the spin and controversies that Hillary Clinton and her campaign generated, it was the delegate math that ultimately prevailed in giving Obama the Democratic nomination. And so it will be in the general election that it all comes down to the electoral college math. And by conceding Michigan, McCain/Palin's path to getting 270 electoral votes looks more and more like the bridge that goes to nowhere. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself! )
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
[...]And while the veep debate was the biggest political story yesterday, another story has been somewhat overlooked. But if you ask me, it was a much more significant story: McCain's campaign pulling up stakes in Michigan, and its implications on the race.[...]
I read about that yesterday and thought McCain's people chose an interesting day to do that...a big news day with people's attention focused elsewhere! It reminds me of a professional acquaintance who was headline news in Hawaii, embarrassingly so. Within a couple of days the Clinton/Lewinsky story broke stuffing acquaintance's news further back in local newspapers. I'd guess he was forever grateful to Clinton!
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
I read about that yesterday and thought McCain's people chose an interesting day to do that...a big news day with people's attention focused elsewhere! It reminds me of a professional acquaintance who was headline news in Hawaii, embarrassingly so. Within a couple of days the Clinton/Lewinsky story broke stuffing acquaintance's news further back in local newspapers. I'd guess he was forever grateful to Clinton!
Some people are lucky. Just ask former U.S. congressman Gary Condit. Recall that he was linked (via an extramarital affair) to Chandra Levy, a government intern who went missing and was later found dead. Although he was never named as a suspect in the missing person/murder case, the heat was being turned up on Condit. Then, 9/11 happened. In one day, the political downfall of Condit was transformed from a headline generating scandal into a low-key affair. Condit was eventually voted out of office, but he can be grateful for being spared the kind of scrutiny that he and his family would surely have been subjected to had the media's focus not been directed to the 9/11 tragedy.
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Ali`i

To boot, nobody's even mentioning Linda Lingle's 2 week absence to rack up brownie points with mainland powers towards her own political agenda in the guise of support for the current republican presidential ticket.
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Ali`i

Default The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 4

Remember 'Billy Beer'?

http://www.weht.net/WEHT/Billy_Carter.html

Remember Roger Clinton, Jr.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Clinton,_Jr.

Well McCain has a bus tosser too:

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10...unist-country/

Quote:
Republican presidential candidate John McCain's brother made an apparent joke at a campaign rally this weekend that might not play well in parts of newly competitive Virginia.

Joe McCain, speaking at an event in support of his brother, called two Democratic-leaning areas in Northern Virginia "communist country," according to a report on The Washington Post's Web site.

"I've lived here for at least 10 years and before that, about every third duty I was in either Arlington or Alexandria, up in communist country," Joe McCain, a Navy veteran, said about his military postings. He spoke at an event in Loudon County, Va.
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Ali`i

Obama Camp Hits Back At McCain's "Keating Economics"
Old October 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 4

Today's Honolulu Advertiser has an interesting opinion piece about the accuracy of polls and "the Bradley effect".

"/snip The Bradley effect has come to mean this: Voters lie to pollsters about black candidates, and enough of them lie to create a huge gap between poll results and election results. The Bradley effect asserts that when Americans get into the voting booth and see the black candidate's name on the ballot, they flinch. /snip"

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...0/OPINIONFRONT
Old October 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Ali`i

Maverick family to McCain: No way are you one of us!

Current projections
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Ali`i

Holy crud....if even half of this is true, McCain best shut Palin up real quick:

http://blog.nj.com/njv_publicblog/20...ry_connec.html