Rank the Star Wars Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank the Star Wars Films

Happy May 4. This year the Star Wars franchise celebrates its 40th anniversary. Way back in the summer of 1977 millions flocked to the theatres to watch the first Star Wars movie, which in later years was retitled Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope. Little did we know 40 years ago, that Star Wars would become such a huge, successful franchise, enough for original creator George Lucas to sell it all to Disney in 2012.

Today with the observance of the 40th anniversary near, it is time for you to rank your top Star Wars movies.

I will list them here in order of release.

Original Trilogy

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
    Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)

Prequel Trilogy

Star Wars: Episode I -The Phantom Menace (1999)
    Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)
    Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Sequel Trilogy (so far)

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

Star Wars Anthology Series

Rouge One (2016)

We're not counting the TV series or made for TV movies, some of which have been classified by Disney as "legend" and not part of the official canon. Also not counting movies that have not been released... but you can include after December 2017 for The Last Jedi.

Have at, rank your favorite Star Wars movies.

May the 4th Be With You.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Rank the Star Wars Films

I'm from the OT (Original Trilogy) generation of those who saw the films first-run in the theaters back in '77, so that will clearly drive my rankings.

1. EPIV - ANH
    2. EPV - TESB
    3. EPVI - ROTJ
    4. Rogue One
    5. EPVII - TFA
    6. EPIII - ROTS
    7. EPII - AOTC
    8. EPI - TPM

Technically Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) was a movie as well, it had a formal theatrical release, but I'll excuse folks for dismissing it as it's animated and part of the larger Clone Wars TV series.

Comment

1- Ep V, Empire Strikes Back
      2- Ep IV, A New Hope
      3- Ep VI, Return of the Jedi
      4- Rogue One
      5- Ep III, Revenge of the Sith
      6- Ep II, Attack of the Clones
      7- Ep VII, The Force Awakens
      8- Ep I, The Phantom Menace

The Force Awakens loses points for having too many parallels to A New Hope, and for being too much of a setup for future movies without doing a good job of being it's own standalone movie.
      Matt

www.July171955.com

www.MouseColumn.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Hart View Post
        being too much of a setup for future movies without doing a good job of being it's own standalone movie.
        Agree, that was a valid criticism of TFA. It was trying very hard to capture (at many times almost too closely) everything about ANH. It many many ways it succeeded, but for those intimately familiar with the OT it was a little much.

With that being said, I would argue that except for EPIV-ANH, none of the other films are really stand-alone, they all require you know what has come before or need to see what comes after to tell a truly coherent story. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing...the huge epic story is what I love about SW. But if you're going to stay the movie has to stand on it's own, ANH is the only one that does.

Comment

Working...
        X