Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Music is the Key of Life than RAP music...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Music is the Key of Life than RAP music...

...in Hawaii must END! It doesn't match with the island scene
    anyway. No kiddin'.

Rap music badly influence our children to the tee. From rap to hondas,
    many kids today simply disrespect their parents. I've seen this
    happen to my neighbors up-front.

Their kids were A students. One day, and for the first time, I
    watched as my neighbor's kid came home with other kids in
    a honda. They were listening to cussing rap music.

I'm talking HO HO HO's to the tee. F--k, sh-t, m----f--k-r,
    you name it they said them.

James, my neighbor wasn't complaining or saying anything. He
    let the 'sounds' play. But as it went on it started getting louder.

BOOM! BOOM!... you know what i mean.

Now he started to react and said nicely to turn the 'stuff' down
    some. no chance, these kids only turned it up louder. James
    kid didn't say anything to his 'friends' but to his dad.

Dad, 'what's the prob man?... we're only kickin' it, god d-mn',
    then,' laters Pops' he said walking away.

From then on it was never to be the same. His other 3 girls also
    went 'kickin' it'. Sad.

Anyway, in Hawaii RAP is NOT considered music. As locals we
    stick to the simple way, C&K, Olomana, etc.

mahalo,
    Levi

Re: If Music is the Key of Life than RAP music...

Rap Music is designed to keep folks down. Constant reinforcement of a negative message. It has worked perfectly in ghettos throughout America, and even nowadays, it is starting to erode higher income families.

After all, a person's right to the music of his choice is way more important than any resulting social distortion created from said music.

Please let them listen to it, and vote to build more jails.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

That which applies to one does not necessarily apply to all.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

First of all, we need to understand the definition of rap music before we can decide whether or not all of it is bad, as Scriv says:

Hip-hop versus rap

Are they terms for the same thing? No, says Davey D, nationally renowned hip-hop historian. He acknowledges that some people think rap is a more frivolous form of hip-hop, but thinks ''that's a false definition. One is part of a whole. Rap is part of a larger entity we call hip-hop, which is a culture.''

Hip-hop n., an American cultural movement composed of four main parts: breakdancing and graffiti art along with two more well-known aspects known as hip-hop music; they are rapping (emceeing) and DJ-ing.

Rap v., the act of saying rhymes to the actual beat of the music.

Styles upon styles upon styles

Through the good folks at allmusic.com we were able to compile a list of different hip-hop styles. Remember, hip-hop styles are loose and artists often make music that can't be classified with one label.

Alternative: Often eclectic rap that deviates from the traditional hardcore, gangsta, pop and party rap. Artists: Outkast, The Roots, Common, Black Eyed Peas, Michael Franti.

Bass: A fast-paced dance floor sound frequently associated with Miami and Atlanta, where deep bass accompanies beats that travel at breakneck speeds. Artists: DJ Magic Mike, Luke.

Chopped & Screwed: According to allmusic.com, Houston's DJ Screw had an uncanny mixing style where his records were pitched down to a slow and lumbering pace. Artists who have employed this style: Lil Flip, David Banner.

Crunk: A frenetic, energy-driven type of style specifically engineered for the dance floor. Artists: Lil' Jon & The Eastside Boyz, Three 6 Mafia.

East Coast: Or more specifically northeast U.S. sound, the first nationally recognized hip-hop epi-center. Dense, aggressive break beats — a dominant repetitive drum beat — but also jazz-oriented dusty-grooves. Artists: Notorious B.I.G., Jay-Z, Nas, Talib Kweli.

Gangsta: An edgy and often profane hip-hop style where the common element is the content: gritty street tales that portray a dim reality where the artist can be the subject or the observer. Artists: 2pac, 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks.

G-Funk: A specific sound that employs P-funk, melodic synthesizers and slow and steady grooves. This style is most identified with the West Coast gangsta aesthetic of the mid-1990s. Artists: Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Warren G.

Golden Age: A period in hip-hop between 1986 and 1993. Many argue that the best hip-hop albums were recorded during this era. Artists from that period: Public Enemy, Eric B. & Rakim, Slick Rick.

Hardcore: Both a description of the content and of the sonic quality, which often has a minimalist sound bed of a sample and hard drumbeat. Artists: Jadakiss, DMX, Lil' Kim

Old School: Hip-hop at the beginning, before it became such a mainstream commodity. Artists: Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five, Kurtis Blow, Doug E. Fresh, Run D.M.C., The Fat Boys.

Pop Rap: Hip-hop music specifically tailored to have a radio-friendly, crossover type of appeal. Artists: P. Diddy, Will Smith.

Southern: The most identifiable elements are ''bounce'' beats and deep bass-grooves that often are party-centered, or can be created in the tradition of Southern soul and blues. Artists: Ludacris, David Banner, Lil' Flip, T.I.

Trip-Hop: Down-tempo soul, funk and jazz over a breakbeat. It's also a dance-based techno music, but set to a hip-hop groove. Artists: DJ Shadow, tricky, Morcheeba, Portishead.

Underground: Purist, avante-garde hip-hop that strives to align itself with the sound's origins. The music tends to place an emphasis on lyricism and unconventional beats. Artists: Madlib, MF Doom, El-P, Jurassic 5.

West Coast: While it could be described as any hip-hop from this particular region, West Coast also can describe a sound: slow grooves, Parliament-Funkadelic samples and synthesizers. Artists: Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg.
        Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Why do you keep referring to rap as music?

As for rap leading to disrespectful youth and a breakdown of the family dynamic (I think that was what maliaam6 was trying to illustrate). I would argue that though rap and peer pressure may influence a teen to act in such way, it is the parents role to remind the youth that how they are acting is unacceptable.
          808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
          kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
          http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

There is music of various styles that "speak" / "sing" of the struggles in life without being nasty. Rap included. The prob (Ha) is when it crosses that line. I believe in freedom of speech, etc. though parents NEED to do their job and not try to be a "friend" to their children. Teach them what is the "better" road. And why...
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Rap, as most of you know, is an acronym for Rhythm And Poetry. Google the Watts Prophets.

Comment

I don't particularly enjoy rap. It doesn't resonate with me, personally. So what? It's still a form of artistic expression, and I would NEVER argue that it should be banned.

What a ridiculous suggestion - shades of so many dictatorial and controlling governments of the past, I wouldn't know which "dark age" of the past to start with, from Nazi Germany to Mideast fundamentalists to 1950's America.

Levi, if you don't like it - don't listen to it. But don't tell others (beyond your own children) what music they can or can not be exposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by maliaam6 View Post
                  ...in Hawaii must END! It doesn't match with the island scene
                  anyway. No kiddin'.

Rap music badly influence our children to the tee. From rap to hondas,
                  many kids today simply disrespect their parents. I've seen this
                  happen to my neighbors up-front.

Their kids were A students. One day, and for the first time, I
                  watched as my neighbor's kid came home with other kids in
                  a honda. They were listening to cussing rap music.

I'm talking HO HO HO's to the tee. F--k, sh-t, m----f--k-r,
                  you name it they said them.

James, my neighbor wasn't complaining or saying anything. He
                  let the 'sounds' play. But as it went on it started getting louder.

BOOM! BOOM!... you know what i mean.

Now he started to react and said nicely to turn the 'stuff' down
                  some. no chance, these kids only turned it up louder. James
                  kid didn't say anything to his 'friends' but to his dad.

Dad, 'what's the prob man?... we're only kickin' it, god d-mn',
                  then,' laters Pops' he said walking away.

From then on it was never to be the same. His other 3 girls also
                  went 'kickin' it'. Sad.

Anyway, in Hawaii RAP is NOT considered music. As locals we
                  stick to the simple way, C&K, Olomana, etc.

mahalo,
                  Levi
                  Ignorance is rampant around these parts. Music plays only part of who kids think they are nowadays. Parents and adult role models have the power to discuss it. Do we do anything about it? Doesn't fit the island scene...haaaaaaaahahahahahahyuk.

Not having an open mind has no place in "the island scene."
                  Last edited by Mike_Lowery; April 15, 2007, 06:10 PM.
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

You mean you don't want him

shaping the minds of today's youth?

To the OP, good luck with your argument. I doubt you'll find much support. And what's up with your Enter button, yo?

:::goes off to look for Sudden Rush in my mp3 library because contrary to what you might think, they really are the sheeeeee-it:::
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

having been born in the seventies, i really can't imagine life without rap or urban music.

people forget that the criticisms made of today's music is quite similar to criticisms made of yesterday's music. seems odd but elvis was once considered obscene. remember that for the past five decades in america, those in the pre-teen to twenties age group drive much of the music market.

i can do without the ho-ing, b!tch-ing, nig***-ing, and skeet-skeet-skeet-ing, but i don't think i can do without rap music. i just buy what i like and don't buy what i don't like.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

We all know that rock-n-roll is the devils music. Bring back the polka and yodelling!
                        Every age has its rebellious music. Damn that Elvis Presley!

Seriously, what to really old timers think of Olomana and C&K, maybe they like their' ages music better and dont even consider C&K Hawaiian? Maybe they consider Hawaiian to be Genoa Keaewe. Not the best example, but you get what I mean.

Its funny, I used to be one of those kids, blasting 2 Live Crew out of my car. Now I listen to podcasts, switched from hip-hop to alternative to electronica back to 90s.

And seriously, whats with pop music nowadays? London bridges? My humps? Sideline Ho's? bleh. Gimme 90's music anyday =p
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

dammit, i took too long writing mines and ericncyn stole my post =p
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                            We all know that rock-n-roll is the devils music. Bring back the polka and yodelling!
                            Every age has its rebellious music. Damn that Elvis Presley!

Seriously, what to really old timers think of Olomana and C&K, maybe they like their' ages music better and dont even consider C&K Hawaiian? Maybe they consider Hawaiian to be Genoa Keaewe. Not the best example, but you get what I mean.

Its funny, I used to be one of those kids, blasting 2 Live Crew out of my car. Now I listen to podcasts, switched from hip-hop to alternative to electronica back to 90s.

And seriously, whats with pop music nowadays? London bridges? My humps? Sideline Ho's? bleh. Gimme 90's music anyday =p
                            i wonder if even mozart was controversial when he dropped his first joint, snortsnort.

hellbent, you do remember that the nineties spawned hanson and the spice girls, eh? i'm not sure that fergie (who was a wee miss on kids, inc. during my preteen years) is less talented than either.

sorry i unknowingly stole your post. how often is it that you and i agree on anything, anyway? *shrug*
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

funny--i've been reading one of my fave online mags and stumbled upon the following vid of alanis morrisette doing "my humps." it's interesting commentary, and from what i read, fergie rather likes it.

dangit, i should be sleeping. *sigh*
                              Last edited by cynsaligia; April 16, 2007, 03:03 AM. Reason: person who should be sleeping should do better editing.

Comment

Working...
                              X