Xandros Linux OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xandros Linux OS

Anyone tried this OS? It's supposed to be a Debian-based Linux OS. I saw it advertised in NewEgg.com for $29.00 for the Home Basic version.

What appealed to me was that for non-commercial use you can install this OS on an unlimited amount of computers without registering it.

I bought it just so I can try it. It can be loaded on the hard drive for booting and can run along side an MS OS for dual booting as well.

I'm considering using Xandros in all of my future builds because with Vista you have to relearn a new OS anyway, may as well be something cheap and effective as a good Linux based OS.

It comes in tomorrow via FedEx and I'm planning on installing it on an older laptop. Anyone have any thoughts on this OS?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Xandros Linux OS

Never heard of that one. I've heard some good things about Ubuntu which is free. I'm sure there's others out there.

Comment

I've never used Xandros, so I won't knock it, but I will say that Debian is a solid base for any distribution. I've never understood buying a Linux distro for personal use when you can get a comparable distro free. I imagine if I had to buy a distro I would probably go with Suse(was my second distro) or Redhat(twas my first linux). however both distros have free counterparts(openSuse & fedora).

Personally I've been using kubuntu (ubuntu derivative, revolving around kde instead of the gnome desktop) exclusively on my old dell d505 laptop for over a year now, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to get into Linux. It's a great distro with a huge community, and tons of help resources. Personally I would recommend KDE desktop as I find it to be a lot more functional than gnome as well as a lot more customizable. just my two cents
      808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
      kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
      http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Well one thing I don't know how to do is to put freeware Linux OS on a hard drive for boot up. Xandros allows you to install from a bootable CD directly onto a hard drive. That's why I shelled out the $29 for it.

I just got thru installing it on an old 300MHz Panasonic Omnibook running 128Mb of RAM and it seems to be running okay. Xandros recognized my Zytel 802.11g PCI wifi card and I can access my wireless network via Firefox.

In all it seems like a nice substitute for Windows. I'm considering using this OS for all future builds where MS isn't requested for the OS. As Microsoft requires a more power hungry machine to run it's OS, older machines that are still capable web browsers and Office Suite hosts will either be forced to go to the recycle centers OR be retrofitted with a decent Linux OS as Microsoft starts abandoning its orphaned operating systems.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          [/B]Well one thing I don't know how to do is to put freeware Linux OS on a hard drive for boot up. Xandros allows you to install from a bootable CD directly onto a hard drive. That's why I shelled out the $29 for it.
          Meh, most distro's have a really simple install process now days. Ubuntu and Mepis for instance both boot as a live cd and have a simple install icon on the desktop. But hey, Linux is Linux, and it's all about choice. So if Xandros suits your needs, then more power too you.
          Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          I just got thru installing it on an old 300MHz Panasonic Omnibook running 128Mb of RAM and it seems to be running okay. Xandros recognized my Zytel 802.11g PCI wifi card and I can access my wireless network via Firefox.
          Just a suggestion, I'm not sure what desktop enviroment your using, but for older comps might I suggest using xfce or fluxbox. They're a lot less resource intensive and keep you machine flying a lot faster than kde or gnome will.
          808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
          kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
          http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Working...
          X