Mac OSX: Leopard and its older siblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac OSX: Leopard and its older siblings

So today Apple revealed its new Mac OSX Leopard operating system. The Apple website seems to have been revamped with the spotlight firmly on the new OS this week. Got some cool new features such as a new desktop, spaces (which is an old feature that featured as something else on BeOS), time machine and updated iChat, mail and more. Check out Apple's OSX website here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

They have some short QT movies that highlight all the major features.

Lastly Apple has released a new Beta of their Safari web browser that is now also available for Windows XP or Vista.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Mac OSX: Leopard and its older siblings

I'm actually really excited to see safari released for Windows. Any one who works with web knows what a pain it can be to test their pages in all the major browsers especially when they don't have a mac.
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
      I'm actually really excited to see safari released for Windows. Any one who works with web knows what a pain it can be to test their pages in all the major browsers especially when they don't have a mac.
      What I'm afraid of (and I admit I haven't read up on what they're actually doing) is that Safari on Windows won't behave exactly as Safari on Mac (e.g. IE on Mac) so while one will adhere to certain rules, the other won't and that'll cause more CSS hotfix/hacks in order to make presentation similar on both.

Comment

There are web-based services like IE NetRenderer that could help. Of course, you'd need to put your pages online to test them...

Comment

I'm actually really excited to see safari released for Windows.
          And it's already been hacked

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
            There are web-based services like IE NetRenderer that could help. Of course, you'd need to put your pages online to test them...
            While those services are great for viewing static pages it gets a bit trickier with dynamic pages. For example if I wanted to see how a page looked once a user logged in I would have no way of testing that, Or even if I wanted to test out some javascript.

Up until now there has been little windows designers could do. Myself being a user of both windows and *nix I had the option to test my pages in Konqueror (The kde wonder browser). Konqueror uses the khtml engine to render html. Apples webkit is based on khtml, and for the most part they render pages the same, though there are differences from time to time (forms come to mind.)

AFAIK safari windows renders the same as safari mac accept for maybe fonts
            808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
            kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
            http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Working...
            X