Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mac vs PC

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Here's the basic bottom line, it's all about expectations and the price you are willing to pay for it.

Macs - definitely very user friendly and less prone to problems. But this is because Macs are pretty much proprietary in design on both the hardware and software. The hardware and software were made for each other. So the downside of all this is you pay through the nose for a Mac. Yes, they are coming out with cheaper versions but the price you pay on a Mac any day will buy you some "higher end" PC stuff.

PCs - basically the Ford Model T in the computer world. Standardized hardware with an OS that tries to encompass all of it. End result, instead of getting "plug and play", reality sometimes is more like "plug and pray". Also, since the majority of computers in the world are PCs, they also attract the unwanted attention from hackers who only further complicate a novice user when hit by a bug, worm, or virus. But plus side, because it's standardized equipment, you have a myriad of choices of parts. You can build a franken PC from parts here and there. So overall, it's a lot cheaper. But like the model T, you better know how to get your hands dirty on a routine basis.

If OS reliability is the only criteria, heck, one should check out Unix. Now that's a very stable OS right there.
    That more or less a less angry version of what i wanted to say
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Macs are for right brained, creative types who can't be bothered with learning the inner workings of their machines, only that they work. PCs are for left brainers who are always asking why this, why that? People who prefer PCs for home use also probably drive stick shift cars, too.

Miulang
      YES !!!! THANK YOU.....As a person who does music for a living, and uses computers to do it, I can't tell you how important this point is. The LAST thing you need when you get a creative idea is the technology roadblocking you. Unfortuntaely, the softwre still does this, so there is a learning curve, but at the end of the day, it's about getting that idea down before it vanished from your brain.

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
      Well let me break the norm and say this, both operating systems suck.

OSX is flat out insult to the users who use it. In trying to be simple, it has alienated it's users and in turn treats them like retards. Yes I'm calling the same simplicity that you praise, an insult to your intelligence. They hide and lock away anything that might confuse you or allow you to mess something up, as if you are too stupid to read warning signs. Not to forget to mention the large icons and graphical prompts. What, are words so hard to read that you need a big flashing picture to direct you? While some users are contented with this system I hardly find it a bragging point.
      I do....see above. Sorry, but sometimes you just want big roadsigns and pointing arrows. No insult to my intelligence, when you have a creative idea, you don't need ANYTHING getting in the way of that. I don't wanna have to be an egghead to do my creative work. I wanna put my energy into the work I'm doing, not the tool I'm using to do it.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Actually, by the time you buy all the PC periperals and cards that bring the computer to bottom-line Mac standards, the price isn't all that different.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

ummm actually the price difference is pretty big.

You can buy a screaming gaming machine for about the price of a standard Mac. The problem is you can't run screaming games on a standard Mac.

And Buzz yes you've used mac's for over 20-years with no major hiccups, that's because Macs haven't been targetted YET.

My whole point is that with Apple's rather smug ads running lately, it will piss off some PC hackers and become a target for abuse in the future.

The difference is that PC users who are used to it already, just get it fixed and go on. Mac users pay a lot for protection and reliabililty so the desire to actually learn about their machine is back burnered.

As one customer said one day at: I pay top dollar for a top of the line product...I expect top dollar service.

If you can afford those statements then by all means get a Mac. But most are students and working professionals who couldn't drop a thousand bucks at the drop of a hat when their Macs break and need another.

But if you know a midnight techie (like most of us computer builders work thru the midnight hour) then resolution is just a phone call and a Zippy's zip pack at any hour!

When my computer went down, it came back up in a couple of troubleshooting hours. When a friends Mac G5 went down he had to send it in. One week later he was back on the job.

I learned how to fix PCs because I use them. You won't learn how to fix a Mac even if you do use them because they rarely fail...yet. BUT when hackers had enough of the Mac ads, they will rant at Macs and target their deceit against them. The difference is Mac users won't know what hit them because their knowledge base of how to use their computer was inadequate.

I tell my wife and kids that drive cars that it is their responsibility to properly maintain the vehicles they drive like checking fluid levels and keeping tire pressure at the right amount. You just don't drive till it drops.

Computer users need to take on that same level of responsibility (cuz I see a ton of em come in) when using their computers. But as a Mac user if you don't take that responsibility because you do have a remarkably well built machine, one day even that well-oiled Mac will fail and then what will you do?

Will you simply go out and get another one and drop a rent payment to buy your computer?

It's just a matter of time before Macs become targetted, and those smug ads are just the ticket to start the attacks.

Mac users can continue to live in their protective cocoon but when the cocoon cracks be ready for the real world cuz it's gonna rush in with a fury. It's just a matter of time.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            Actually, by the time you buy all the PC periperals and cards that bring the computer to bottom-line Mac standards, the price isn't all that different.
            I had to do a double take on that one.

Mac mini $599 - 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB (2x256MB) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300), 60GB Serial ATA, 24x Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW), Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

Dell Dimension E521 $649 - AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+, NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU, 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs, 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive, 15 inch E156FP Analog Flat Panel, 16x DVD+/-RW Drive

Comment

Actually mac users aren't prone to viruses because OSX is a bsd/unix based operating system. While it is true that part of the reason that there are less viruses for Osx is because it's small market share, it is equally true that *nix systems are more secure and seemingly more difficult to compromise.
              808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
              kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
              http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                [...]But as a Mac user if you don't take that responsibility because you do have a remarkably well built machine, one day even that well-oiled Mac will fail and then what will you do?[...]
                Get it fixed...just like PC users do! I love ProCare. It rocks! Oh, and HMAUS Brown Bag clinics, too! We have good resources, really!

Comment

[quote=Miulang;143573]Macs are for right brained, creative types who can't be bothered with learning the inner workings of their machines, only that they work. PCs are for left brainers who are always asking why this, why that? People who prefer PCs for home use also probably drive stick shift cars, too.

Miulang[/quote

Well......as a physicist who works in digital signal processing......I whole-heartedly disagree with what you are saying.

Comment

[QUOTE=acousticlady;143698]
                    Macs are for right brained, creative types who can't be bothered with learning the inner workings of their machines, only that they work. PCs are for left brainers who are always asking why this, why that? People who prefer PCs for home use also probably drive stick shift cars, too.

Miulang[/quote

Well......as a physicist who works in digital signal processing......I whole-heartedly disagree with what you are saying.
                    Which part? left brain driving an automatic transmission car, or right brain owning a PC? And it's not an absolute rule of thumb, just an observation.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Get it fixed...just like PC users do! I love ProCare. It rocks! Oh, and HMAUS Brown Bag clinics, too! We have good resources, really!
                      That's nice, but here on the Big Island Mac repair is virtually non-existant.

There will always be a line drawn in the sand between Mac and PC. Like I've said earlier, if you got the bucks then go ahead. But the feeling of bliss will be compromised as Apple decides to become the one bragging. Nobody likes a show off.

Comment

[quote=Miulang;143705]
                        Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                        Which part? left brain driving an automatic transmission car, or right brain owning a PC? And it's not an absolute rule of thumb, just an observation.

Miulang
                        definitely the left brain driving the automatic! I took it as an observation. I'm new to this - need to learn to use the little faces more

Comment

[QUOTE=acousticlady;143716]

definitely the left brain driving the automatic! I took it as an observation. I'm new to this - need to learn to use the little faces more
                          little faces mean you're being creative...right brain

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                            Hey Sue, you're in "the biz", so, not matter what, you're a card carrying hipster...sorry, you have no choice.
                            Hip by default, huh?! I work with some of the hippest people one could ever meet. And there the comparison ends!!! Still, they include me in many of their get togethers! They're younger than my kids by a decade fer crissakes! I'm always flattered!

As you know, Tiki, the majority of "us" are Maccies and we're in a very creative industry. So the Macs=creative line that was drawn earlier in this thread is pretty darn accurate.

I remember during the early 90s when first wading thru Mac waters, I called on a Mac person for help. He gave me a piece of advice I've never forgotten. He did "something" to my Mac...can't remember what...and showed me what he'd done. When I whined and wondered if I'd "ever learn it" he said..."You don't have to learn it.". IOW, I didn't have to learn EVERYTHING about the Mac. I didn't even know what was ok not to know! Still don't! So I whip out my ProCare card!

Comment

It's definitely a different learning curve on a PC. I have to use one every once in a while and all the extra hoops PC owners have to jump through to complete simple tasks seems like a waste of time.

But it's a good thing that PCs are so easy to repair -- because you'll be doing it more often!
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

At least you don't have to buy the new Apple flavor of the year with a lower price to boot.

Comment

Working...
                                X