buzzing subwoofer - need diagnosis/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buzzing subwoofer - need diagnosis/help

I have a Jeep 2002 Jeep Sahara with a factory sub woofer in the center console. Just yesterday it started rumbling really loud. Now if I listen to any thing with the slightest amount of bass it buzzes/rumbles/gargles (whatever you want to call it) real loud on every bump of the bass. I don't know too much about audio equipment so I'm just curious if theres anything that can be done or if the sub just needs to be replaced.

I'm going to pull out the console when I get home and see it I can see anything out of the norm.

Any advice would be appreciated
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Re: buzzing subwoofer - need diagnosis/help

Could be anything from a simple loose wire at a contact point to a torn or otherwise damaged cone - hard to say, sorry.

Comment

I pulled it out and found that the surrounds(the foam cover thing) is torn, I'm googling repair guides right now. Because of where the tear is I think I can just glue it back but I'm not sure.

Comment

Hmm I hate to double post, but I just thought I'd announce that glueing it did the trick. Hopefully the glue will hold and I won't get any more rips.

Comment

sadly, it's toast. While glueing it may hold it together, you're sacreficing (sp?) sound quality. The speaker is meant to move and that surface should be free of defect.

Time to upgrade?
          -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
            sadly, it's toast. While glueing it may hold it together, you're sacreficing (sp?) sound quality. The speaker is meant to move and that surface should be free of defect.

Time to upgrade?
            Actually it wasn't so much a tear, but rather a case the surrounds detaching itself from the edge of the sub. It might have lowered the quality, but I can't tell the difference, at least not over the sound the Jeep.

If it happens again I'll probably have to replace it.

Comment

You could try liquid latex. Way more pliable than, say, contact cement and you can lay a coat of the stuff on the affected area. I tried that once with a set of high dollar speakers, but the rubber had deteriorated instead of simply detaching. It worked for a while, but there was simply too much damage already done and not enough surface to treat. I was basically trying to "rebuild" the foam rubber surround. It should work just fine if it's just a detachment.

Comment

Your next cost-effective solution might be this Speaker Surround Repair Kit. Only $20. Not bad. It doesn't explain how to remove the old surround though, which might be crucial in how well the new surround sticks and works efficiently for best sound/bass.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Another quick way to fix torn rolled edges or even cones is to use a product called Plasti Dip in the aerosol cans.

It's basically a spray on rubberized coating. I use it to weatherize my car door speakers. I've also used it to repair my boy's subwoofers that he toasted a few months ago. It's effect on SPL is so insignificant yet the results are fantastic.

This spray on rubber is a great way to dress up older paper cones as well giving them a modern look. By stiffening up the cone a bit the bass response is improved as well.

And yes it's sold at Home Depot in the Paint Department.

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/plastidip.html
                  Attached Files
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well my fix didn't quite make it a month . It started buzzing again and becuase of the glue I used when I went to remove the cover it total ripped the surrounds apart. So I have two options: (A) buy a surrounds repair kit (B) buy a new sub.

Does any one know how much a basic 6.5 sub costs? Are there any good audio shops you'd recomend.

The repair kit will cost me like 10$'s so I think I'll just get that first, but i'm not too sure it'll work

Comment

This place has great deals. If I were in your shoes, or car, I would just get another one. They can be relatively inexpensive to costly, to replace. Just poke around and you can find great deals on car audio.
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

Try http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=18

This place has some great speaker rebuilding stuff including how to books on building sub-boxes as well as all the material needed to build a sound system that kicks.

It's also a great resource for P.A. equipment, Home Theater speakers, whole house AV support and in-car AV/GPS systems.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                        X