Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Circuit Circus
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 9th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to adrian
Default Free wireless places

Since more and more people are connecting wirelessly via laptops and whatnot, I thought I'd start a thread on where people can get free internet.

I'm at Pearlridge's food court (the place by borders) and the signal strength is good so far with a Linksys PC card.
Old April 9th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Free wireless places

I know the Apple Store, MacMouse Club and Comp USA has wireless hotspots that are free. Here is a link to a site that lists free Hawaii hot spots.

http://wififreespot.com/ha.html

I don't know how up to date this list is as I don't go to all of these places.

You can also try this one: http://www.wifinder.com/index.php

The State Capitol is in the process of putting wireless in the conference hearing rooms. The system is partially running now. In theory you probably can take your laptop to the capitol and site inside or outside near the hearing rooms and get online. Not sure if the capitol system will be open or closed only to legislative websites and information.
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Ali`i

Whatever else you do while you're in one of those hot spots, please please please don't access any of your files (bank accounts, etc) that you don't want hacked. You never know whose sniffer might be capturing your traffic. Surfing the web is fine, but I sure wouldn't log into my banking system while on wifi!

Miulang
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Ali`i

I'm on thebus's wifi network (called iride) and its 5mbps!!!

And of course I'm not that stupid to access personal info on public connections. I just go on forums and check news.
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Ali`i

If you're at Ala Moana Center, go to the 4th floor and there's a sort of rest area near bubba gump's shrimp company with some restrooms (some very clean restrooms - its almost like the convention center). The speed is not too bad, but atleast you can relax here (but the chair I'm sitting in is too big, and I can't lean back or put my laptop on the table because its too far away.)
Old April 19th, 2006, 02:09 AM

The wireless signal on the 4th floor near Bubba Gump's is probably coming from the Mai Tai bar/lounge. On the 3rd floor, the Apple Store has a signal and I think in the Food Court near the Cove Bar area.

The wifi at the State Capitol is up and running. (From the Public Access Room webpage)

Quote:

NEWSFLASH! Wi-Fi at the State Capitol

For those of you with wireless capability on your computer laptops and notebooks, tracking legislation and communicating while at the Capitol just got easier. While the Public Access Room still has its array of desktop computers for you to use, you can now enjoy free wireless Internet connectivity in our office (room 401), as well as House and Senate conference rooms, the auditorium, certain areas of the chamber-level hallway, and the central corridors along railings on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors.

The service is free, and access codes and registration are not required. Please don't hesitate to stop by, email or give us a call if you have any questions!
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K
8. Is it wireless and what is your favorite Hotspot in Hawaii?
It has WiFi and my favorite hotspot in Hawai'i is at the airport in Honolulu.
Several people in the laptop computer thread indicated that the airport was one of their favorite wireless access points. The last time I ran my iBook at Honolulu International Airport, you had to pay for wireless access... something like 15 a minute. With several of you mentioning the airport, I was wondering if you are paying for access or is wifi now free?

What about other airports in Hawaii? I know Hilo does not have wireless. I been in there a few times now with my iBook and get no signal. Hilo does have the most comfortable chairs in their main waiting lounge. It would be a perfect place for wireless access.
Old June 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel
Several people in the laptop computer thread indicated that the airport was one of their favorite wireless access points. The last time I ran my iBook at Honolulu International Airport, you had to pay for wireless access... something like 15 a minute. With several of you mentioning the airport, I was wondering if you are paying for access or is wifi now free?

What about other airports in Hawaii? I know Hilo does not have wireless. I been in there a few times now with my iBook and get no signal. Hilo does have the most comfortable chairs in their main waiting lounge. It would be a perfect place for wireless access.

Hey Mel, at Hilo you can now walk upstairs and sit at lounge chairs right at the boarding gate/jetway. Before you had to show your boarding pass at the base of the stairs, then again at the jetway. Now it's just at the Jetway.

I wish they would move the security check at the base of the stairs so families can say their goodbye's in the comfort of an enclosed lobby instead of outside on a rainy curb with pushy guards telling you to move your vehicle. When I went to Honolulu a couple of weeks ago for a funeral, I wanted to kiss my wife goodbye but the guard told her to move the car. I just got out with my hand carry bag and was trying to walk around the front of the car to the drivers side to kiss her but as soon as I got out, the guard told her to leave. Not even there five seconds and ushered out. I gave that guard one really big stink eye as my wife drove off.
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Ali`i

From the latest Pacific Business News:

Chinatown to get free wifi for a year!!!

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...ml?jst=b_ln_hl
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
Hey Mel, at Hilo you can now walk upstairs and sit at lounge chairs right at the boarding gate/jetway. Before you had to show your boarding pass at the base of the stairs, then again at the jetway. Now it's just at the Jetway.

I wish they would move the security check at the base of the stairs so families can say their goodbye's in the comfort of an enclosed lobby instead of outside on a rainy curb with pushy guards telling you to move your vehicle.
Yes, I like the fact that we can go upstairs and sit on the regular chairs in the 2nd holding area and actually watch the planes come and go (if you are lucky enough to be in an area next to the window). Usually I am at Hilo early enough that I prefer to wait on the ground floor level since they have those old style sofa chairs there. Like I said previously, that area would be perfect for wireless. They even have small coffee tables there where you could lay your computer on.

Of course the danger is that I could probably get wrapped up in what I am doing online and forget to board my plane.

As for using the base of the stairs area for the security check, it would probably only work for Hawaiian and Aloha Airlines since they are the only 2 that I know of that can use the jetway. Island Air and GO, you have to enter from the tarmac which would probably require a set up near the Island Air gate area.

BTW, ATA also flies Oakland to Hilo on a 737-700, so I guess they use the jetway too in Hilo.

OK.. this is straying off topic as this is supposed to be for wireless.

Anyone have thoughts on the possibility of airlines including wifi on board planes?
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

I started a new thread to talk about the Chinatown Wi-Fi project specifically, since it's a bit more than a 'hotspot.'

It did remind me to look up how the Wireless Waikiki project is doing. Apparently they finished their first phase in April. Seeing as how individual hotels are also deploying their own paid systems, though, I've always wondered how well covering all of Waikiki would work.

Around town, of course, a lot of free 'hotspots' are unintentional. Remember the local wireless wardrive I posted about a while back? I just posted an update to that thread as well. Unsecured access points are everywhere. Since the beginning of the year, the number of SSIDs detectable from our living room has jumped from four to seven, and only two are secured!

As for Wi-Fi on airplanes, Mel, the tests have been getting mixed reviews, and just a couple of weeks ago it sounded like Boeing's program was being scuttled. With issues like power availability and premium pricing (from $12 to $250 a flight!), I don't know how well it'll work out. Considering that airlines are cutting meal service and charging for pillows, this certainly won't be a feature that'll come cheap.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:42 AM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to LocalMotion

Here's a site i used back in texas that had tons of entries. it's user based so anyone can add a site for a area as long as it's free.

let's start adding spots for Honolulu

http://www.ilovefreewifi.com/honolulu/

Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

There are lots, and I mean lots, of 'free wireless directories' out there covering various metro areas and neighborhoods.

I know the folks at the Hawaii Handheld Computer Palm pda Group (HiHug) have helped maintain this Honolulu wi-fi list, occasionally posting comments about the various locations. Looks like they broke their Google Map link and the pop-ups are annoying, but it's as good a place to start as any.

There's a broader listing here, with other islands represented.
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Ali`i

Here's another wireless lookup site -- this one uses a Google Maps mashup.

http://hotspotr.com/
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:29 AM

It's been more than a year since this thread was bumped. But I am wondering if anyone has a favorite free publicly accessible wifi hotspot that they use regularly. Some of the links shown in the previous messages in this thread are dead, other alive, but seemingly not updated regular or if at all since this thread started.

Here are some links that I checked. Don't know for sure if all of the wifi hotspots listed are "free". I am looking for a good public place like a restaurant or something in the Downtown to Ala Moana area where there still is free wifi.

Oceanic Roadrunner need not apply.

Wireless Waikiki c/o ShakaNet - is this still active?
http://www.wirelesswaikiki.org/

WiFi Freespot
http://wififreespot.com/ha.html

Wifi Finder
http://www.wifinder.com/

I Love Free Wifi
http://www.ilovefreewifi.com/honolulu/

Kokua Wireless - seems to be heavily concentrated in DT/ Chinatown.
http://public.meraki.com/network/kokuawireless

Hawaii State Capitol - info @ Public Access Room
http://hawaii.gov/lrb/par/
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Kumu

Seattle's Best in Waipio (next to Costco).

If you go to the Starbucks across the parking lot but don't want to pay for their (soon to be free?) WiFi, Starbuck's staff will show you where to sit so that you can pick up the leakage from Seattle's Best...
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Ali`i

Isn't Seattle's Best owned by Starbucks? Big hint both use the same acronym "SB"
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
Isn't Seattle's Best owned by Starbucks? Big hint both use the same acronym "SB"
Yes, both owned by Starbucks but run separately.

As far as a free wi-fi, Mocha Java at Ward Centre offers free wi-fi per purchase.

And not that I endorse this, and has risk, but the Keeaumoku Wal-Mart food court there are plenty of open nets from the condos/towers nearby.
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Kanaka

Send a message via AIM to Altivec Send a message via MSN to Altivec Send a message via Yahoo to Altivec

I know Safeway Kapahulu has free wifi access.
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
[...]
...but don't want to pay for their (soon to be free?) WiFi[...]
Really? There's a chance that Starbuck's wifi (Skywave Metro) will soon be free?
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Kia`aina

Starbucks nationwide is switching from T-mobile to AT&T as their Wi-Fi provider, but word has it that it comes with strings attached...rumors are being a AT&T user, having a Starbucks card and dealing with pop-ups, IM's, etc.
I spend alot of time in Seattle and one of their chains, Tully's, gives it away for free and see it as a perk, where as Starbucks sees it as a new marketing tool.
I say no thanks.
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:27 PM
Luna

Hawaiian Air's Premiere lounge has free wifi at Honolulu but not at Lihue. Also on Kauai, Kukui Grove Mall has free wifi provided by First Hawaiian Bank.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to LocalMotion

Another good site is:

JiWire

which also has a iphone app to search for wifi
Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:31 AM

Bump... anyone know if sites previously mentioned in this thread are still offering free wifi?

The ones I know of and use from time to time include:

McDonalds' - seems all locations have free wifi.

Starbucks - most have free wifi

Hawaii State Capitol - most of the building

Barnes & Noble Ala Moana - near their snack shop. Any other B & Ns?

Borders - Haven't been there in over a year but they had some limited free wifi at Ward location.

Safeway Kaimuki - been more than a year since I been there, but last I was they had.

MacMouse - on South Street.

Apple Store - Ala Moana; I presume the others have too.

Various hotels in Waikiki. Haven't recently checked.

Is Kokua Wireless still offering free wifi?

Know of any other "free" public hotspots in Honolulu, elsewhere in Hawaii?
Old April 27th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Ali`i

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2011...htcomeknocking

What's the frequency, Kenneth?