Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Circuit Circus
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 28th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Kia`aina

Default Re: Apple iPod nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
There are reports that the iPod nano breaks easily, especially the LCD screen. Is there anybody here with a nano who can comment?
I purchased a black 4GB iPod nano a couple of weeks ago and the screen already has several scratches on it. However, the biggest problem I've had with it is random freezes in which it becomes unresponsive.
Old September 28th, 2005, 02:10 AM

The most serious problems I have heard with the Nanos are the cracked LCD screens after some owners left theirs in pant pockets. I guess if you are walking around and flexing the thing in your pocket, it can put stress on the screen causing it to crack... at least that is what I recently read.

Some pundits are already predicting this may be Apple's newest turkey since the Power Mac G4 Cube of a few years back.
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:31 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Claiming that the iPod Nano has a widespread propensity for scratching easily, lawyers this week filed a class action suit against Apple Computer on behalf of those who have purchased the diminutive music player.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday on behalf of all those who have bought a Nano, alleges that Apple violated state consumer protection statutes, as well as express and implied warranties. The complaint charges that Apple knew that there were design problems with the Nano.

(From CNet)
Wonder if this suit will go anywhere?
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
Wonder if this suit will go anywhere?
Apple lost the suit on the iPod battery issue. So now they have some kind of program to offer users replacement batteries. One of my friends had his battery die, and I think they just replaced the entire iPod.

Getting back to the Nano suit, it seems Apple may be able to win (remember I am no lawyer) if they can use the following unscientific article to their benefit. In this brutal test ARS Technica subjected an iPod Nano to increasingly brutal abuse until the thing "gave up the ghost" and finally stopped playing. Check out the test and article at the following link:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3

Quote:
We placed the nano in the path of the car and drove over it with both front and rear tires. Driving over the nano produced sickening crunching noises which coincidentally sounded a lot like an LCD being crushed. After the first hit and run, the iPod's display was not cracked but was showing some nasty vertical lines. Shockingly, the nano was still playing music and the controls still operated as expected, as we were still able to skip ahead, go back, pause, and play music!
They even have pictures.
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to achow Send a message via MSN to achow Send a message via Yahoo to achow
Exclamation Apple I-pod Nano

I just got my apple i-pod nano yesterday but I don't know how to download songs so that it can go on my i-pod. I tried to read the instructions but it didn't tell me how. So, if any of you own a i-pod nano, shuffle, mini any help is welcomed.
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Apple I-pod Nano

Use iTunes. Are you using iTunes?
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to achow Send a message via MSN to achow Send a message via Yahoo to achow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
Use iTunes. Are you using iTunes?
Yes, I am downloading the new i-Tunes as we speak
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Ali`i

Once you get i-Tunes up and running, add all your songs to the i-Tunes library. Once they're there, you hook up your iPod to your computer, all the songs will sync to your nano.

It's a fairly easy process.
Hear the crowd roar to your sound
Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
You know we couldn't live without you
Tessie, you are the only only only
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
Ali`i

While I am happy with my ipod Shuffle I was thinking of getting the iPod Nano one of these days, mostly for display photos or videos. For anyone who has the Nano what's the display like?

Could the controls be able to zoom in on a part of the photo?

Does the photo need to be resized before being loaded on the Nano?
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Ali`i

Picked up an iPod nano last night from the Apple Store, loaded iTunes on my (Windows XP based) laptop so that nano can sync off that system. Loaded some photos, movie trailers and music last night. Couldn't figure out how to get the slide show going but I can worry about that later on.
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Ali`i

I have an older 20G IPod, of which I have used only 5G in 2 years. I'm thinking of "downsizing" to an 8G Nano (they come in such pretty colors ). I only have music & my contacts list on mine right now and have no plans to add pics or videos. Still thinking, but those red ones are sure pretty - and contribute to a good cause if you buy one (Project Red). I think I could live with the smaller capacity one.
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Ali`i

I wanted to load my whole library on one, so when I got one, I went for the 80GB. Now almost a year later, I've got 2200 songs and maybe used about 8GB.
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Ali`i

I haven't mentioned my thoughts to my brother (my computer guru) because he believes in "the bigger the better" when it comes to technology. He also has the 80G and has EVERYTHING on it - photos, videos, movies and music. I guess I'll just show him my new purchase AFTER I make it. He just won't understand going smaller!

Can anyone comment on the sturdiness of the Nano? They are so small & light that I kind of worry about how long they will last.
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
I have an older 20G IPod, of which I have used only 5G in 2 years.[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
I wanted to load my whole library on one, so when I got one, I went for the 80GB. Now almost a year later, I've got 2200 songs and maybe used about 8GB.
I wonder if this is a reason why Apple scaled down. I have a 30gb iPod and have a little over 1400 songs, a bunch of videos, iPhoto, iCal and Address Book on mine and haven't quite hit 9gb yet! Of course it can always be used as a back-up hard drive but I have enough of those already.
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Ali`i

my current IPod is set up as a back up hard drive - but that was only so I could load my Outlook contacts into it. Haven't used it for anything else. I have about 1500 songs & my contacts loaded on it now. I think an 8G Nano would work out ok for me and will be so much lighter in my purse.
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
I wonder if this is a reason why Apple scaled down.
The only iPod classic on the Apple website is the 120GB. That's bigger then the 80GB, but smaller then the 160GB.

I also seen the Nano is up to a 16GB model.
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Ali`i

It's going be awhile before my nano leaves the house, I am sort of leaning towards not syncing the calendar to the nano.

Wal-mart had some nifty stuff for the ipod. Found a pair of bud style head phones for around $6 made by Maxwell (model HB-202)
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
The only iPod classic on the Apple website is the 120GB. That's bigger then the 80GB, but smaller then the 160GB.[...]
Oh good grief...I had no idea they ever went above 80gb! It's been a few years since I bought one!
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
It's going be awhile before my nano leaves the house, I am sort of leaning towards not syncing the calendar to the nano.

Wal-mart had some nifty stuff for the ipod. Found a pair of bud style head phones for around $6 made by Maxwell (model HB-202)
just for your FYI - the ear buds tend to "bleed" sound to the folks sitting around you & it's really irritating if the person has their volume turned up. I purchased a set of Sony in-ear style buds & they are really comfortable and work really well - and they are quiet! but they also cost $40 but well worth the cost for me.
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:21 AM

As of today I have 15,315 music and assorted audio files in my iTunes. Certainly way over the limit of my 4 iPods that I regularly sync and re-program at least once a week.

Currently in my iPods:

iPod Shuffle 512 MB - 83 songs
iPod Mini 4 GB - 731 songs with some space to spare.

iPod Nano 2nd generation 4 GB
- 641 songs and other audio content.
-177 photos.
2nd generation iPod Photo (color) 40 GB
- 6,414 songs and other audio content.
- 284 photos
Besides a lot of music (about 95%), I also have a number of podcasts, digitized radio programs and a few spoken word items (speeches, audio books). None of my iPods hold digital video content or applications except what came with them when first purchased.

The iPod Photo and iPod Mini use hard drives to store content; the Nano and Shuffle use a flash drive. I take the flash drive iPods with me to various places. The iPod Photo is generally connected to my big stereo system and the music cranked through the amp and speakers. The mini is sometimes hooked up too.

I have a nice set of full sized JVC headphones that I prefer to use at home when noise is an issue. Otherwise I use the iPod earbuds when I am out and about. Also I have an FM transmitter in my car that can play audio from any of my iPods to my car radio on 88.7. This device runs through the car's cigarette lighter which I never used until I got the device.

Photos loaded into the iPods that support them are dumbed down when you sync through iTunes unless you want to put in the full size by clicking on the option. Full size will use up more disc space.
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Ali`i

One thing the Nano lacks is an obvious on/off switch, it would have nice if that switch is where the Hold switch is on top of the unit.

Last night the Nano dropped a few inches to the desk and the darn thing started to play a random song, I then turned off the shake.
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
just for your FYI - the ear buds tend to "bleed" sound to the folks sitting around you & it's really irritating if the person has their volume turned up. I purchased a set of Sony in-ear style buds & they are really comfortable and work really well - and they are quiet! but they also cost $40 but well worth the cost for me.
Slightly off topic, but...... if your ear buds are "bleeding", then generally it is too loud for your own ears. In order for them to bleed to surrounding areas, the decibel range must be in the 80 - 90 dB range or higher. This is the equivalent to attending a rock concert or listening to a jack hammer all day. You should be able to hear both the music and surrounding sounds.

Back on topic, I've had the iPod nano for a while now and love it. I just purchased a new iMac and received a free iPod touch. I'm still trying to figure it out - other than being a bigger iPod. I still like my nano.
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticlady View Post
... and received a free iPod touch. I'm still trying to figure it out - other than being a bigger iPod.
Wait until you visit the candy App Store...
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Ali`i

Decided to bring the Nano to work today, so to be safe I placed the Nano into a memory card carrying case (it fits) and then placed that in a backpack.

When I arrived at my office I didn't take the Nano out of the backpack at first, I waited at least a hour or so. When I finally did, the darn thing was playing a song (without the headphones being plugged in).
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Ali`i

Been loading up the Nano with some music and clips of upcoming movies and TV shows (a couple of free previews of the 5th season of Lost via iTunes). I even purchased a remastered episode of Star Trek, not really the best way to view an episode, but it could be used as a way to kill some time while waiting for something.

I know I am under 3 Gytes of storage on this unit. I did accidently caused the unit to be stuck, such that I need to reset the darn thing.